Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

How big is big enough?
Single or Dual zone?
Just getting into this overlanding thing and I was wondering what size would be a good size for a vehicle fridge. I know that there are different factors that are going to determine the size I need but just from your own experience what has worked out well for those that have a portable fridge? Give me some examples of what you have used. How many people and how long were you out there?
My experience is limited to Ice chests using Ice, not having to make room for ice changes things.
Also, what is better, single zone or dual zone? Or does it even matter?

I am looking to get something for 2 or 3 people for about a 5-7 day trip, what size would be best. I was thinking maybe a 65, 75 or a 95 (100q) size? Or is this overkill?

Thanks in advance!

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

Thank Captain Chaos! I appreciate the input.
Like I said, I am new to this and I have a lot to learn. My vehicle is a Tacoma 4x4 TRD Dual cab long bed, with a canopy camper. I plan on running it with my truck battery for a short time until I get solar panel or 2. On our trips it might be my wife & daughter or myself and a buddy on a backcountry hunting trip. If we are out hunting we can be out for a week. If its with the family I will probably move around after a day or 2.

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

Yes, Pre-made meals ready to heat up are time savers! I thought the fridges can be both a fridge and a freezer?

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I own 1 45qrt Engel and 2 45qrt whynter fridge/freezers. The Engel was over 950.00 and 1 whynter was 500.00,both items came from Amazon. The whynter has a 62 qrt dual zone for 726.00 on Amazon. In my semi the Engel is set to freeze and the whynter is the refrigerator. I drive all 48 and Canada to Alaska and neither one has let me down. I did order and extra car cord to cut and put on and Anderson plug for a better and worry free plug. Have fun and Roll Tide.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I also have a 65 qt Whynter. I usually try to keep the bottom filled with beverages. Just having that solid mass helps it not run so much when the vehicle is off. I have also run mine off a fully charged RV battery for a couple of days without a recharge.

Reactions: Billiebob

nomadz

Rank 0

Traveler I

Toronto
We have a 65 qt dual zone snomaster. Properly arranged you'll be shocked at what you can get in there. It's large enough for me and my girlfriend for ~4 days out with fresh veggies. We can easily stretch it to 7 if you use the freezer strategically. We always keep frozen meat and frozen veggies in there. I was against the freezer and my girlfriend insisted on getting it. I'm really glad she did. Homemade frozen food from the freezer after a big day out is amazing. Plus, if you're travelling someplace hot having frozen water or ice on hand for beverages has been amazing - we were drinking *ice cold* water all day hiking slot canyons in the 100+ degrees in death valley. Deluxe.

As a reference point our fridge consumes about 1.2 amps/hour when travelling in the hot.

It does take up quite a bit of space. we have a 4runner and it fills 2/3 of the rear storage area. installed on a slider.

How big is big enough?
Single or Dual zone?
Just getting into this overlanding thing and I was wondering what size would be a good size for a vehicle fridge. I know that there are different factors that are going to determine the size I need but just from your own experience what has worked out well for those that have a portable fridge? Give me some examples of what you have used. How many people and how long were you out there?
My experience is limited to Ice chests using Ice, not having to make room for ice changes things.

I am looking to get something for 2 or 3 people for about a 5-7 day trip, what size would be best. I was thinking maybe a 65, 75 or a 95 (100q) size? Or is this overkill?

Thanks in advance!

Vanhalo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

FEMA REGION IV
First Name
Van
Last Name
Halo
How big is big enough?
Single or Dual zone?

Thanks in advance!
my requirement was it had to hold at least 2 gallons of milk...what's the point of spending that much money on a 12v fridge if you cant even use it to go to the grocery store.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have a 50qt Whytner and a 35qt Edgstar. 50qt in the trailer has supplied me for 8-10 days. Small one is in the back of the Cruiser for day runs or overnighters where I don't bring the trailer. I run a 120 watt panel with the trailer, keeps the battery charged and runs the fridge during the day. The panel is probably a bit of overkill.

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

Thanks to all that replied. Your input has helped me to get some insight for what I need. I greatly appreciate the help.

Reactions: Viking1204

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

So what did you go with for yours?
Having no experience and not having seen one in person, I went with the Dometic CFX 65. Now that I have it I'm second guessing my decision, not sure but maybe I should have gone with the 75. Honestly I haven't used it, I just took it out of the box and plugged in to make sure it works. I'm glad to say that It works fine. Just not sure if it will hold enough food for 3 guys on a week long elk hunt.

Now on to my next 2 overlanding projects; Rocks sliders which I am ordering Monday morning and then gotta figure out how I am going to hook this fridge up to my truck so that its running when the truck is off.

Last edited:

BcYeti2503

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, British Columbia, Canada
Member #

Having no experience and not having seen one in person, I went with the Dometic CFX 65. Now that I have it I'm second guessing my decision, not sure but maybe I should have gone with the 75. Honestly I haven't used it, I just took it out of the box and plugged in to make sure it works. I'm glad to say that It works fine. Just not sure if it will hold enough food for 3 guys on a week long elk hunt.
It fully depends on how you pack for food. I use a 50qt arb for myself and with everything including drinks in the fridge I can pack for 5 days camping. And I eat large meals.
Separate your drinks and other stuff like condiments to a separate cooler with ice. Keeping meat as compact for cooking as possible and having separate spots for things like eggs and stuff. You will have enough room.

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

BcYeti2503, thanks for the advice (I appreciate it). Its good to hear that you can get that amount of meals for a week. I usually do just that, I usually put my drinks in a smaller ice chest. For elk hunts I usually take pre-cooked meals so all we have to do is just heat the food up, a lil less work.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

personal preference for fridges is much like any gear is own, I own a Engel MR040 Eclipse 40q & use it in fridge mode only, it holds four days of food max but mostly we stock it with 3 days. At times we head to town to pick up provisions, ice if needed, water, the use of the local laundromat for fresh clean sheets, clothing & top off fuel if we are bouncing around from one place to another, then there is time were we just stay put because we like the area a lot. The type of camping we do is offgrid dispersed 98% of the time w\2% camping with our son & his family @ public campgrounds. It also matters the size of the perishable's are stored to make meals which will determine the days of meals stored too, we like to eat good so we store a lot of fresh ingredients in the fridge, but most of our food prep is done @ home before we leave & stored in small sealable containers. We use our 12v. fridge strictly for food only, no drinks. We store our drinks, milk & orange juice, adult beverages in a Pelican 30 qt. Cooler or Canyon 22qt. Cooler size depending how long were going to be out. We do quite a few 24 hour trips were we do store our milk, juices in the Engel with our food. & take the 22qt. Canyon Cooler with ice & drinks. For me & my wife who we are both in our 60's we like the size of our Engel, we can move it around if need be easily @ our age. We transport (travel) our Engel in the back of my truck, once @ camp it's unloaded & plugged into our adventure trailer. We run our on 12v. solar, inverter generator plugged into the trailer that has 55amp 3 stage Powermax Converter Charger mounting on our adventure trailer, or our trailer plugged into the shore-line connection 110.
048.JPG082.JPG014.JPG009.JPG

Last edited:

Mlbdriver

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tuckerton, NJ, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Corbisiero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC2WAO
Service Branch
USCG
Does anyone who has a 50 qt ARB have any pictures they can upload. I'm thinking of getting one of those. thanks

Reactions: Minion

Willp_07

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, Ca
First Name
Will
Last Name
P
Member #

OP Rchr,

I have a similar setup, 2013 Taco Long bed with a shell and a bedslide installed. I ended up buying the Dometic 75dzw last year for trips with my wife and 2 young kids. The 75 has proven the right size for us. I also do a 4 tote set up for camp, 1 tote just for dry and/or non-perishable goods.

I ran a blue sea panel to rear pass side of the bed for 12v access and battery monitoring for the fridge. I also did a XS power AGM Dual purpose Group 27 battery, fits in the factory location, and has almost 100ah. Ran fridge fine for a couple days without recharge. Getting a foldable solar panel next to place while parked for extended camp time.

This has worked out well for me but your mileage may vary.

Below pic shows set up from one of my first trips testing it out. Ive since dialed in my storage and placement. I still have the fridge in the same spot on bedslide to easily access both top doors.

IMG_20190323_081344.jpg