Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mansfield, TX, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

How the heck has no one mentioned the 1978 Expedicion de las Americas??

Mark A. Smith (the Jeep legend) and friends... 21,000 miles from the tip of South America to the tip of North America...

"By November 1978, Mark Smith already had 25 years of experience leading off-road excursions under his belt, largely with the Jeep Jamboree, an annual trek into the Sierra Nevadas from Georgetown, California. But he’d never attempted anything quite like what he had planned that fall, and in fact, neither had anybody else: He and 13 other off-roaders would set off from Tierra del Fuego, Chile – about the southernmost point in the Americas – and drive north to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska – about the northernmost point.

Smith’s Expedicion de las Americas would use six Jeeps – at least three CJ-7s, a Wagoneer, and a J-series pickup among them – all more or less stock, but fitted with a variety of necessities for the 21,000-mile, 122-day trip, including winches, 31-inch tires, and special-built “ladders” that would help them cross certain terrain much easier. And while it appears the Expedicion got some minor assistance here and there, it was all funded out of the pockets of the expedition’s participants, none of whom were professional explorers or guides.

Perhaps the most remarkable part of the trip was the crossing of the Darien Gap, a stretch of undeveloped jungle that had only once before been traversed by motorcade. Though it took about a quarter of the expedition’s total time, Smith and his group made the crossing without any serious losses."

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
holy crap. equal parts awesome and terrifying. I'm watching this tonight.

Reactions: ovrlndr

TXstar37

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mansfield, TX, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Is there a way to get this video enabled? I like to see it if it's available.

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban
Hey Rusty, if you click the video, then click on the YouTube logo at bottom to open it up in a new tab directly on youtube's website it will work.

TXstar37

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mansfield, TX, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

I watched this series on amazon. I liked it although there were some kinda cheesy parts and it's a competition so it's not exactly inline with the OB core principles.

http://www.history.com/shows/alaska-off-road-warriors

cool. thanks for posting. i've been to alaska twice, but not in my rig. it's definitely on my list, pictures and video don't do it justice. It's an amazing place.

Reactions: Rusty burbin

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Hey Rusty, if you click the video, then click on the YouTube logo at bottom to open it up in a new tab directly on youtube's website it will work.
This is what I get when I click on the image... if I tap the screen at this point nothing happens. Maybe try it on my laptop?

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
This is what I get when I click on the image... if I tap the screen at this point nothing happens. Maybe try it on my laptop?

Hopefully, the following link will work for you. It is the direct link for this Youtube-based video.

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
Hopefully, the following link will work for you. It is the direct link for this Youtube-based video.
@Rusty burbin Oh, now I see (or rather do not see) what is happening. It is not possible to embed a direct link for this video on the forum. There is some weird protection feature attached to this video. I converted the URL of the Youtube video to a Tiny URL version. Perhaps, the new, shortened link will work:
https://tinyurl.com/lyzz5n9
Just tried the above link and it now works every time. Best of luck with your attempt. Great video!

Phase2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Berkley, MI
Member #

Check out BOLD Overland on You Tube as well. There aren't a lot of episodes, but they're pretty good...particularly the episode where they have the big "oops" - you'll see.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland