OB Approved Overlanding/Camping with a dog

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham Callsign
K5PCB
Can't help but share this photo of my Adventure Pup Banjo. She goes everywhere with me and is an amazing travel partner. She rides shotgun, stays close by, loves to explore the streamside while I fly fish, and is a great trail dog. The only weakness she has is that she loves to roll in piles of poo from different animals. She can cross off cow and bear poo off her bucket list. Makes for interesting trail showers.IMG_20190824_165149.jpg

l_vandyke

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

In Va with a Tacoma also. There are some really beautiful places here to camp especially in the mountains. We live in the foothills so sometimes this can be a 45 inute drive to get where we are going. We bought a pet sling for the rear seat. It clips around all 4 of the headrests, covers the back seat completely, and prevents her from being thrown into the floor board in case of quick stops or when off road. She loves camping it seems but acte completely different when we go almost never making a sound. It just makes my trip more enoyable. Yes it may limitt where we go at times but our time with her is worth that to me.
Izzy really seems to enjoy camping. She loves the car ride up and gets super excited when we pull into the campground

Reactions: Casper66

Jrhodes

Rank 0

Contributor I

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Johnny
Last Name
Rhodes
60A40B9E-E291-47F4-8964-342F97A201CB.jpegGreat post. We brought our two with us this weekend. Ellie the golden doodle is my wife’s dog. She slept with us in the tent. Forest the black lab doesn’t care much for carrying him so he camped out in the back seat of the truck. Once it starts to get cooler I’ll be leaving a 12v heating blanket in the truck for him to stay warm.

Casper66

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

My little buddy Crocsy (yes named after the shoes) goes ost places with us camping unless there's something we want to go do where we know she can't go. I will not leave her in the camper all day locked up.

1571621620868.png

1571621666093.png

yes she has her own chair. She is what you get when you cross a lab with a Dachschund. we call her a lawennie

1571621800231.png

MrWilsonWJ

Rank III

Influencer II

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
If we're sharing dog pics...this is Tinkerbell, 4 yo Great Dane/ Brazilian mastiff. Her first camping trip was at 9 weeks old, she loves camping whether we are in the our camper or in the jeep with a tent20181019_082748.jpg20190810_122307.jpg20190810_133504.jpg. She's a big goof and tries to catch mud that gets flung up by the tires, pretty funny to watch in the mirror when going down a trail.

lgifford156

Rank 0

Contributor I

Westminster, MA, USA
First Name
Lisa
Last Name
Gifford
Wow I'm obsessed with this feed.

I have three dogs a 9 year old rescue shepherd, a 3 year old border collie, and a rescue catahoula somewhere between 1-2.

My two younger dogs get secured in my trunk of my wrangler and my older boy either snuggles up with them or sits on the seat by himself.

They go with me everywhere. The younger two are yappers at campgrounds but love to hike and are super friendly when we hike but get stressed out at campgrounds. Does anyone have advice for this? I went to Pittsburg NH at Lake Francis and there was a lot of commotion but the border collie relaxed once the neighbors started playing ball and he joined in on a leash tethered to my hitch, but my catahoula scared me because a drunk woman came into our campsite and got all in her face, she was trying to hug her but my catahoula was quite traumatized and is very cautious of new people in certain settings. Once the campsite quieted down they were relaxed. Any tips on helping calm them down? I gave them bones and they loved that.

I also always end up leaving my dogs in the car here or there. When I steal my moms Tesla I use the dog mode. But I have gotten reemed out because I left my shepherd in the car for maybe 3 minutes on a warm day, the car was on with the AC, all four windows rolled 100% down and with a bowl of water. I do find the best ways to keep a dog cool and safe is to turn on the remote start, or leave the keys in the ignition and set a timer for however long your remote start is on your phone. Label the timer about the dog in the car. That way if something happened to you someone would see the timer and know there's a dog in the car.

My dogs all go off leash when we hike on lightly trafficked trails. A trick to this is to count cars at trail heads and how many groups/people you pass. It's also so important that your dogs recall. I know this was said before but it has saved me so many times from porcupines that my dogs come when called. Although the catahoula learned a hard lesson with this one (not while I was walking her though)

Please remember bright colors or safety vests for dogs when it's hunting season!

Here are my three mutts post skunk bath after I let them out and didn't watch them at home.
Tiger(shepherd), Kuvarro (Border collie), Ellaria (Catahoula)
Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 8.37.46 PM.png

Lou Skannon

Rank II

Advocate II

Good thread. I'm not a dog owner but have looked after a remote campground in the Rocky Mountains this last Summer. I was very lax about the "Dogs on Leash" and "No Dogs On The Beach" rules and overall there wasn't a bad dog on the place while I was there. The same can't be said about the humans, DUI seemed to be a way of life for many, boats, cars, atvs and pwc. Total disregard for rules and regulations and because of the remote location there was no law enforcement. Infact you could get away with just about anything and nobody would say a word..... except if your dog did a pooh and you didn't clean it up. Most dog owners did the right thing but the ones who didn't soon felt the wrath of their neighbours especially from the mothers with young children.

64Trvlr

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
AKA 64 Trvlr
Member #

Ham Callsign
KK7NAZ
This is my yellow Lab Max, he's been going everywhere I go since he was a pup and he loves camping! He also loves "cruzin" down the road.

Max cruzin -01.jpg

Reactions: Casper66