RedMochi

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Alameda, CA, USA
First Name
Florentino
Last Name
Tong
My dog (Mochi is a Shiba Inu) goes camping with me every where and she is my co-pilot. I make sure that we stop some where on our journey every two hours to make sure she is able to smell other things beside me in the jeep =)... I as well get to stretch my legs.

65672990365__D254C048-4906-497A-B8C6-8B6D3B1EB940.JPG

Last edited:

Sparky511

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Chelsi
Last Name
Coulombe
Member #

My dog loves camping and always comes along! I have a rtt on a Jeep Wrangler and one of the challenges I faced was getting my husky mix into the tent. I trained her to climb in and out by jumping on the hood and then the roof. I put the cover of the tent onto the hood to protect it and give her some traction. After she’s on the roof my tent has a window that zips completely open and she just walks in. She gets down the same way. Thought that tip might be helpful to others! Happy Tails to all with your best friends!

DustinDeMayo

Rank V

Advocate II

Olathe, Johnson County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
DeMayo
Member #

My dog loves camping and always comes along! I have a rtt on a Jeep Wrangler and one of the challenges I faced was getting my husky mix into the tent. I trained her to climb in and out by jumping on the hood and then the roof. I put the cover of the tent onto the hood to protect it and give her some traction. After she’s on the roof my tent has a window that zips completely open and she just walks in. She gets down the same way. Thought that tip might be helpful to others! Happy Tails to all with your best friends!
I have a husky that loves camping with me. I don't have access from the hood to my RTT, but I trained her to sit over my shoulder while I climb us both up and down the ladder. I've been brainstorming how to make some type of collapsible ramp.

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
It’s great. I have two that roll with me wherever I go. I built a platform for them replacing the back seat in my rig. And from the anchor points that held the back seat in place, I used for their “seatbelts.” Which are just short, 2ft leashes with a bungee section for some give just in case. And that attaches to their harness. When I’m at camp, I’ll tie up some 550 cord to provide them a “runner.” But I also carry with me a PetSafe wireless fence system that is powered by the Yeti 1500x. I was worried how much power it would pull but it’s only 6 watts. Works perfectly for when I want them to have a bit of freedom instead of being on the runner 24/7. And just a side note, I installed the Leer topper solely for them to have a place to sleep but they’re so needy, they have to be beside me in the RTT.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: MSD and Mudcat

DustinDeMayo

Rank V

Advocate II

Olathe, Johnson County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
DeMayo
Member #

It’s great. I have two that roll with me wherever I go. I built a platform for them replacing the back seat in my rig. And from the anchor points that held the back seat in place, I used for their “seatbelts.” Which are just short, 2ft leashes with a bungee section for some give just in case. And that attaches to their harness. When I’m at camp, I’ll tie up some 550 cord to provide them a “runner.” But I also carry with me a PetSafe wireless fence system that is powered by the Yeti 1500x. I was worried how much power it would pull but it’s only 6 watts. Works perfectly for when I want them to have a bit of freedom instead of being on the runner 24/7. And just a side note, I installed the Leer topper solely for them to have a place to sleep but they’re so needy, they have to be beside me in the RTT.
That's great looks like your pups love it!

Reactions: JacksonRL

Salt

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

MEMBER NOTES
The original article plus selected members' comments with tips

There is a ton of valuable information in the article and member comments. But, for me, it's hard to read and refer back to a particular piece of information in five pages of forum comments. For my own use, I copied the article and the comments that had tips into an easier to read format. I'm posting here because you may find this format easier to read too. If this posting somehow violates a policy that I'm not aware of, just let me know and I will promptly take it down.

BTW: "Bram" is my 80 pound German Shepherd. Bram is my best friend. He was my wife's service dog and the third of four German Shepherds we owned over the years. I try to give Bram the best life I can. Hitting the road is as much for him as it is for me.

Attachments

Last edited: