Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

For any of yall that overland or camp(so as to not offend anyone by using the term overland wrong :tearsofjoy:) and mountain bike ride, are you back country camping or do you use regular park spots? For me it seems to be a little harder to find bike trails and camping spots together. Can you camp outside of bike parks??? I want to be able to set up camp and then ride trails, after which return to said camp spot. Can anyone shed some light on how or whats the best way to find these two things together? Thanks!!

P.S. If this isn't your type of question or you want to be a smarta**...please just keep it to yourself and keep scrolling!

Reactions: MazeVX

Andrew Leach

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX
Member #

I am also searching for the same. We don't have much in TX regarding back country camping. I've had success in NewMexico finding trails and camping. Typically I look for trails in National Parks/Forests and then that opens the camping options up. I'm looking to do some Durango CO area camping/overlanding/flyfishing/mtn biking this summer. Odds of getting all 4 in same "parking spot" probably long. If I find that holy grail I'll be happy to pass along

Reactions: Lil Bear

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

It's a hard balance.
We will find some dispersed camping and ride FS Roads on our bikes. Dedicated Rail to Trails type stuff is usually not near our NF stuff.

So a lot of planning goes into hitting R2T stuff on "moving days" for a few hour ride where we will boondock later and just explore the backcountry.
I guess it's the same when we take our canoe.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Sidewalks and streets to the campgrounds.

If the trail's is just a couple miles from the campground, that's no time at all.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

There are state parks with developed mountain bike trails and camping.

One that comes to mind is near Yellow Springs Ohio; John Bryan State Park. Pretty open style primitive camping spots with no bath houses. Mostly beginner style mountain bike trails, from what I gather. Yellow Springs (Antioch College) is well known for being bike friendly in general. Bike lanes; signs when heading into town from all directions says "Bicycles have the right of way," etc. That may be why the state park there has developed mountain bike trails.

John Bryan SP-YSOhio.png

I have a fat tire eBike, so not as nimble as a mountain bike, but I take it on every adventure so am always on the lookout for trails I can take it on.

sondors_bigbend-0831.jpg

mtbidaho

Rank 0

Traveler I

Boise, iD
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Shaber
I'm planning to tow the RV down to Moab to camp. The mountain biking of course is plentiful. On days we're not on the bike, we can either 4x4 explore or combine hiking. One possibility this opens is white rim. My wife has ridden it a number of times. I haven't ridden it ever. She is recovering from injuries so there is a possibility of 2 person supported loop.

The challenge in my mind is there aren't many interesting trails open to bikes and accessible on an overland route. (though this overland concept is new to me) What I have seen others do is gravel ride. I'm tempted to bring both my Top Fuel and my CX/Gravel bike to give options for both.

Reactions: M Rose and Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

There are state parks with developed mountain bike trails and camping.

One that comes to mind is near Yellow Springs Ohio; John Bryan State Park. Pretty open style primitive camping spots with no bath houses. Mostly beginner style mountain bike trails, from what I gather. Yellow Springs (Antioch College) is well known for being bike friendly in general. Bike lanes; signs when heading into town from all directions says "Bicycles have the right of way," etc. That may be why the state park there has developed mountain bike trails.

View attachment 190221

I have a fat tire eBike, so not as nimble as a mountain bike, but I take it on every adventure so am always on the lookout for trails I can take it on.

View attachment 190223
How do you like that fat tire e-bike? I haven't ridden a fat tire bike. I can't say i'm much in the way of a gravel rider as I like to stay in the more trail areas if possible. Unfortunately where we live there isn't anything but flat trails with roots and rocks! Atleast a 4 hour drive to get to anything decent ( that I know of).

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

How do you like that fat tire e-bike? I haven't ridden a fat tire bike. I can't say i'm much in the way of a gravel rider as I like to stay in the more trail areas if possible. Unfortunately where we live there isn't anything but flat trails with roots and rocks! Atleast a 4 hour drive to get to anything decent ( that I know of).
I LOVE my fat-tire eBike. One of the three best investments in gear I've made that help me do more when adventuring. The other two are my trailer and canoe.

I originally bought it as backup emergency vehicle, as I am most solo and go way back country. I quickly realized how valuable it is for other purposes, too.

I use it for hauling firewood I've collected; for running errands into town even miles away; for scouting the dirt road ahead up ahead for washouts, etc; and as emergency rescue vehicle if broke down. A hell of a lot easier, safer, and quicker to ride out from miles off pavement than walking out, especially in the desert.

And, it's just a fun bike to ride. I'm constantly on it when camping. It is not a nimble single track mountain bike; too heavy for that (about 55-60 lbs?), though I regularly take it on all sorts of wood trails. Like a vehicle, you can air down the tires for better grip and easier ride. To be honest, this bike helps me stay a lot more fit than something that was motorized. You still peddle a lot if you want, especially to conserve battery charge, and just being out more because you're riding is better than sitting somewhere. I've ridden more in the couple years I've had this bike than I have in all the rest of my years combined.

Been very easy to maintain. Starts a lot of conversations. Easy to put in and take out of my van, too.

And, importantly, it is QUIET! I looked at motorized bikes at first, even bought one and rigged it up (in image w/2 bikes below), and saw right off it was too noisy, vibrates too much and killed my wrists, and was more of a pain than pleasure to ride long distances. Having a quiet bike means I see a lot more wildlife (not scared off before I get there by a motor), have a far more pleasant ride, and don't offend others with noise or exhaust.

You can see more about it on my site at Rescue Bike / Scout / Pack Mule

sondors-packmule_9935-900.jpg
Pack Mule: I can explore more, go further, and pack more back than if I was walking.

sondorsx-invan-800.jpg
Loads in and out of my van easily.

ebike-motorbike.jpg
My Sondors on left and a gas motorized bike on right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neuvik and Lil Bear

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Have you looked at these?

And of couse goooooooooooooglearth where you want to go. Sometimes there are old trails available that show up.

• Haha

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Have you looked at these?

And of couse goooooooooooooglearth where you want to go. Sometimes there are old trails available that show up.
Lol yeah I have both of those apps. Using said apps on the other hand is still new to me. I have tried google but have gotten some, well kinda strange camp spot suggestions from google. Once it tried to put me in some ones driveway. Said it was a camp spot, "shrugs"! Of course now if I use hiking trails then its a little easier to find camp spots as long as bikes are allowed on that hiking trail. I guess my main thing is, I don't want to get somewhere thinking I can bike and camp in the same area only to find out that's not the case. I can say the apps do show good trails though! Thanks for the info also!!

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I didn't mean ask gooooooooooogle. I meant if you are going to... let's say Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park in Nevada. Go on GoogleEarth and search for it; Google Earth

Then use the mouse or arrows to zoom in or out and look for trail/roads to ride, I can tell you there are some fun roads around B-ISP, even an all day ride down to Grantsville and over to the Reese Valley and back Union Pass. Us Trail Forks etal to search for trails in the area. You can also find potential campsites "from the air".

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i see you are in georgia. the wife and i do a good bit of camping in georgia, mostly around vogel state park and the helen area and i know i saw bike trails. it would be a fun ride to ride around helen and take back streets, etc the one link mentions cloudland canyon park which is near chatanooga...that place has a very long trail near the water that would be a good ride up until it gets close to the waterfalls.
here's a few links i found

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

i see you are in georgia. the wife and i do a good bit of camping in georgia, mostly around vogel state park and the helen area and i know i saw bike trails. it would be a fun ride to ride around helen and take back streets, etc the one link mentions cloudland canyon park which is near chatanooga...that place has a very long trail near the water that would be a good ride up until it gets close to the waterfalls.
here's a few links i found

Yeah those are actually on my list of places to ride!! I've camped up around Helen and Vogel a few times. Unfortunately for me I live at the complete opposite end of GA by the beach (which I don't like)! There are some nice trails up in the north part of GA! I usually have only looked for backpacking trails so i've never paid attention to biking trails. I know some are both in one. I'll be so glad to move from here and hopefully be close to some mountains or trails or something!

Reactions: grubworm

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm planning to tow the RV down to Moab to camp. The mountain biking of course is plentiful. On days we're not on the bike, we can either 4x4 explore or combine hiking. One possibility this opens is white rim. My wife has ridden it a number of times. I haven't ridden it ever. She is recovering from injuries so there is a possibility of 2 person supported loop.

The challenge in my mind is there aren't many interesting trails open to bikes and accessible on an overland route. (though this overland concept is new to me) What I have seen others do is gravel ride. I'm tempted to bring both my Top Fuel and my CX/Gravel bike to give options for both.
You need to make it up here to eastern Oregon, lots of mount bike trails that would fit into an overlanding adventure.

Reactions: Road and Lil Bear

Andrew Leach

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX
Member #

IMG_4496.jpg

This is my hardtail and a 1UP bike rack. The rack came recommended from this forum, and I share that recommendation. I too have been bitten by the e-mtn IMG_4497.jpgbike bug, just in time for inventories to plummet to zero...so I wait.

Reactions: Road and Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

View attachment 192354

This is my hardtail and a 1UP bike rack. The rack came recommended from this forum, and I share that recommendation. I too have been bitten by the e-mtn View attachment 192355bike bug, just in time for inventories to plummet to zero...so I wait.
Super nice set up!! Right now I have a 2 bike carrier in the hitch and I put the other 2 bikes(when needed) in the back of the truck. I should be down in Florida this weekend actually hitting some bike trails. If all goes as planned.

TacoSquid

Rank 0

Contributor I

Mechanicsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Boushard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
That’s is what I am planning on doing. I love to ride I also have a trike I use for touring long distances but as I get older the less I want to be on the road Riding.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Some pics from riding a little this past weekend. The first 4 pics should be from Ocala FL at Santos Park. The 2 vans i spotted and had to go do a walk around. I really am thinking of trading the truck for a van. The last couple pics were from Sundays ride which was back in GA. I took videos but as I'm new to doing the video thing I haven't quite got it down how to get them all off my gopro so I can actually share correctly.

Attachments

TOUGE

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gold Coast QLD, Australia
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Ash
Member #

If I know there is good trails where I am going I will take my mountain bike. I have done quite a few trips where the primary reason for the trip was mountain biking. I'm west coast so finding trails near campsites seems a little easier.

Utah is incredible for being able to ride from your campsite. Lots of amazing bike, hiking, 4x4 trails and camping in the St George area. Moab is incredible for absolutely anything, many mtb trails ride able from campsites.

Sedona, Az has some camping near trails, sometimes a short drive to get to other trail networks.

PNW had to drive to most trail networks from campsites, just too far to ride from them. Lots of very very fun trails.

Campsite at Smithsonian Butte outside St George. Heaps of fun trails around there.

Attachments