Overlanding and Autism

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We got our new Autism Family Travels member this past week. She is an amazing beautiful 2 yo purebred husky. Words cannot describe how amazing this dog is. We are blessed to have had the chance to get her. She will be with us on every road trip from here on out. Colin absolutely adores her, and she is just as fond of him. They have only been together since Sunday!

Ubiety

NorthWest Region Member Rep Seattle WA
Supporter

Educator I

Sammamish, Washington, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
E
Member #

We got our new Autism Family Travels member this past week. She is an amazing beautiful 2 yo purebred husky. Words cannot describe how amazing this dog is. We are blessed to have had the chance to get her. She will be with us on every road trip from here on out. Colin absolutely adores her, and she is just as fond of him. They have only been together since Sunday!
Congratulations! My son has a labradoodle that is his constant companion - great great dog. They care for each other and we are blessed for having both of them in our lives.

25BEE29E-BD41-4861-B92D-4889CA9E834B_1_105_c.jpeg

Ubiety

Supporter

Educator I

First Name
Greg
Last Name
E
Member #

Not necessarily overlanding, but autism related.

We messed up. My wife was in need of a new car due to her old car being totaled in an accident. She drove a large white SUV and we had talked with our son about getting a white 4Runner - not really thinking about our son's need for consistency rather that was the particular car at a local dealership that she wanted. We went to the dealership this weekend and test drove the 4Runner and it was quickly apparent that it would not work for her. We scoured the dealership and found a different car in black that we both really liked and purchased it. We joked that we could not wait to see the expression on our son's face when he saw mom's new car that was not a 4Runner. That did not turn out very well for us; he melted down and it took a lot of effort to get him to accept her new car. Because he has been showing so much growth lately we just assumed that he would laugh it off with us and we were wrong. We learned that even though he has been growing we still need to honor his need for consistency and be compassionate in all manners. I am not sure how we could have handled things differently - maybe we should have taken him with us to be a part of the "conversation" and be aware of why mom got a different car. I don't know.

Ubiety

Supporter

Educator I

First Name
Greg
Last Name
E
Member #

It’s crazy how the smallest tweak can set things off. I hope you guys got it handled.
Thanks! We did spend some time with him and it took a day or so but now he really likes mom's new wheels. Well he will really like it after it is lifted, gets 37s and an exoskeleton. Hahahahaha - aint gonna happen ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Gr8 Hortoni

Gr8 Hortoni

Rank I

Contributor III

Whitehall, Michigan, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Horton
I’m hoping I don’t get this reaction when the Bronco shows up to replace the Jeep later this summer. He’s been pretty mellow as I’ve upgraded in the past, BUT he’s never been shotgun in any of the other jeeps before either, so who knows ‍♂

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Supporter

Educator I

First Name
Greg
Last Name
E
Member #

Maybe show him the Bronco and gauge the reaction? Then try to slowly work it in depending on initial reaction. With our son if he likes something we are good! If not it will take some work. We messed up by surprising him. All good now!

Reactions: Gr8 Hortoni