Overlanding alone first time need advice.

• HTML tutorial

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

My wife and I are planning a 5-day adventure to Nevada in April to explore a few ghost towns, see some sights and simply enjoy some time off. We are going solo without any other rigs. I have hunted, hiked, and Off-roaded by myself for years, but most of this was done in an area I am familiar with and I knew what to expect, also what to prepare.

We have a new trailer and will do a shake-down cruise in advance. The trailer will have room for extra gas, also have satellite communication as well as other protection. I would be lying if I said I was not a little nervous.

Curious if there is advice for someone who is going out on their first time Overlanding solo without others alone.

Thanks in advance.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Skills to fix or mitigate anything that breaks, read up on desert survival just in case. Bring lots of water, more than you think you will need plus some, same with gas. Any self recovery gear you may need for sand recovery.
Tell someone where and when your going and when to expect you back or create a check in system to contact someone in a set amount of days if they don't hear from you to contact the authority's with your location.
Boiler plate stuff really.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Learn your own limits before those of the vehicle, and not the other way round.

Make and carry an emergency contact card so that in the unlikely event of needing others to help they know who to contact. We include our blood type on the card. This may seem excessive however you need to plan for the worst case - we've carried these for years - never, ever, needed them!

Take your time and don't try to do too much - fatigue is your enemy ! We never drive at night (well almost never, and if we think we'll need to we consider the risks and decide how to ensure that we're safe). We change drivers every two hours (every hour in tough conditions). Getting from A to B we don't drive more than 8 hours and try to make this 4-5 hours to give us time to enjoy the trip. When exploring we spend far less time at the wheel.

Something you may like to consider, take a page from the aviation handbook and make up checklists : we have one for local travel, one for big trips, one for driver handover, and one for weekly checks. This too may seem over the top, however if you inadvertently leave something behind which you really need you'll see the benefit.

I think it's preferable to reduce to the minimum the kit you carry - weight burns fuel and adds to CoG. I'd guess that for your planned trip, as boostpowered says, you could take basic self-recovery gear, water, fuel, food, and not much more. It's too easy to haul a load of stuff which just adds weight.

Lastly: if you end up stuck in the desert DO NOT LEAVE THE VEHICLE!

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Make and carry an emergency contact card so that in the unlikely event of needing others to help they know who to contact. We include our blood type on the card. This may seem excessive however you need to plan for the worst case - we've carried these for years - never, ever, needed them!

Take your time and don't try to do too much - fatigue is your enemy ! We never drive at night (well almost never, and if we think we'll need to we consider the risks and decide how to ensure that we're safe). We change drivers every two hours (every hour in tough conditions). Getting from A to B we don't drive more than 8 hours and try to make this 4-5 hours to give us time to enjoy the trip. When exploring we spend far less time at the wheel.

Something you may like to consider, take a page from the aviation handbook and make up checklists : we have one for local travel, one for big trips, one for driver handover, and one for weekly checks. This too may seem over the top, however, if you inadvertently leave something behind which you really need you'll see the benefit.

I think it's preferable to reduce to the minimum the kit you carry - weight burns fuel and adds to CoG. I'd guess that for your planned trip, as boostpowered says, you could take basic self-recovery gear, water, fuel, food, and not much more. It's too easy to haul a load of stuff which just adds weight.

I love the advice of taking it slow. It is more about the journey than anything and going slow knowing my limits is good advice. I have the basic recovery gear part all covered, most of it I carry in my rig on a permanent basis. I like the idea of the checklist. I always forget something. The longest part of the trip is getting there, I plan on making a few stops. One in Reno and another before we hit dirt. Also will bring a bunch of water and the trailer carries 20 gallons.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
You've gotten some great advice already, but to double down on what Boost said -- tell someone where you're going, and for how long, and what to do if they don't hear from you. Make sure you address all three parts though and tell your person that they are responsible for activating a response if you don't show up. In other words, it's a favour you're asking of someone to be there for you and yours -- not just idle chit-chat about your holiday plan.

If you do this, then even if everything else you do fails, someone will know and someone will come looking.

Very refreshing to see another traveller with that practice. Ours is slightly different as we don't use a card, we use a wearable identification tag. We've used military-style ID tags that we wear around our necks under our shirts (very discreetly). We chose Canadian style tags -- they are less "Military" to most and the single-tag design sits flatter and doesn't rattle. I've never been fully satisfied with military-style ID tags though -- nothing against the association personally, but I'm not in the market for a "stolen valour" accusation domestically, and internationally there might be other associations or assumptions made -- so in the near future we are going to be ordering some items from www.roadID.com

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Clothing for hot and cold weather, Nevada is wacky......

Notebook: for notes on sights and things you snap pics of, for listing what you brought but didnt really need (not take again), list of things you wish you brought or didnt bring enough of, for things you need to "plan" better next time like gas stops or better maps or?

Know the gun laws for your destinations.

Relax and have fun, does nobody any good if your all wound up.....Take the time to stop at a roadside shop or something weird looking.

Put the numbers of off road recovery, urgent care and local Gov office (BLM, NFS) in your wallet.

Teach the wife how to drive in 4wd incase you need to be taken to hospital, also how to use sat comms and guns

Jim

Reactions: Mtnmn99

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
Everything said above AND get a Spot or InReach or similar device and don't leave home without it.

Reactions: BensonSTW

Wyotroutguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Utah
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Going to be beating a dead horse here, but as someone who almost always is solo..
planning: pre plan your route and share it with someone at home with time frames (Gaia great and easy for this)
Communication: satellite communication is a must, I use garmin Inreach mini paired with my iPad. Keeps me on track and can quickly and easily send gps location with a check in. (Usually the same person I shared my route with)
Recovery gear: even if you haven’t yet gotten a winch, a good shovel, axe/chainsaw, recovery strap, come along, and traction boards will get you out of 90% of situations. It doesn’t hurt to go out close to home and get yourself stuck on purpose to practice using your equipment.
First aid: keep a good up to date first aid kit with you and know how to use ALL items in said kit (a great option is available in the OB store)

Most importantly DO NOT attempt any trail or obstacles that you have any bit of uncertainty about, even if your vehicle is capable of them if your nerves won’t allow you to do it you’re going to get yourself in trouble.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

You have communications. Also Plenty of fuel and water. Take a good shovel, even if all you use it for is to dig a fire pit. Basic tools, tire changing tools and fuses. Much more than that and you’ll need parts as well. Also a good time to remember to make sure your spares have air in them and that your jack will work for truck and trailer. If the road makes you feel uncomfortable, consider a different route. Always better safe and cautious than sorry. Save the mud bogs and crappy roads for when you have a buddy with a pull rope around. Don’t let yourself get so nervous that it takes away from your fun. It’s just like any other road trip. Depending on which part of the country you are in it may even be on better roads than normal. Even if things don’t go exactly as planned, make the most of it.

p.s. carry a notebook and pencil. Write down the changes you would make to your equipment list. Maybe you forgot something you would like to have the next time out. Guaranteed you’ll take things you didn’t need.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

File yer plan with a trusted freind or relative, stick to the plan, check in when possible, do not rely on technology.
Carry a big orange tarp. Learn how to light a smokey signal fire.
Bring plenty of water. Maybe chocolate.
Plan on being stranded.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

So since you live in Murphy's I figure you know that Nevada can be cold and wet/snow in April. I go solo most of the time and I wander, but I take a personal locator beacon. Don't get too carried away with mileage, The "If today is Tuesday, this must be Belgium" plan get's old and increases stress. Plan your route to hit a hot spring. If you like a spot don't be afraid to stay and check it out. Check out youtube videos like Wonderhussy Adventures. Here is a link to my blog and a precovid trip in 2019; Roving Nevada, Oct 2019, Day 1

I'm thinking of heading there in April also, so much to explore!

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Lots of good suggestions above.

In addition, pay careful attention to the weather. Parts of Nevada can get snow, and a dry lakebed can turn into a sucking mud pit after rain.

You might also want to look for local recovery groups on Facebook such as "775 Offroad and Recovery".

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Ours is slightly different as we don't use a card, we use a wearable identification tag. We've used military-style ID tags that we wear around our necks under our shirts (very discreetly). We chose Canadian style tags -- they are less "Military" to most and the single-tag design sits flatter and doesn't rattle. I've never been fully satisfied with military-style ID tags though -- nothing against the association personally, but I'm not in the market for a "stolen valour" accusation domestically, and internationally there might be other associations or assumptions made -- so in the near future we are going to be ordering some items from www.roadID.com
Good idea; for our last trip, in addition to the contact cards, we also had these made (i've obscured the name and contact phone number but you can see the idea:

Attachments

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Lots of good suggestions above.

In addition, pay careful attention to the weather. Parts of Nevada can get snow, and a dry lakebed can turn into a sucking mud pit after rain.

You might also want to look for local recovery groups on Facebook such as "775 Offroad and Recovery".
Great idea on the discovery group, should have thought of that because I belong to two for the area I live in (Arnold, Ca).

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Good idea; for our last trip, in addition to the contact cards, we also had these made (i've obscured the name and contact phone number but you can see the idea:
I like that idea too. My wife has some health items, they are minor, but still good to know.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Clothing for hot and cold weather, Nevada is wacky......

Notebook: for notes on sights and things you snap pics of, for listing what you brought but didnt really need (not take again), list of things you wish you brought or didnt bring enough of, for things you need to "plan" better next time like gas stops or better maps or?

Know the gun laws for your destinations.

Relax and have fun, does nobody any good if your all wound up.....Take the time to stop at a roadside shop or something weird looking.

Put the numbers of off road recovery, urgent care and local Gov office (BLM, NFS) in your wallet.

Teach the wife how to drive in 4wd incase you need to be taken to hospital, also how to use sat comms and guns

Jim
Teach the wife how to drive...?

Um...Y-yikes!

Yes, you added 4 wheel drive, but she may actually already know how to drive. I dont think the OP mentioned either way. The reality, obviously, is yes, anyone in the vehicle should know how to drive it.. just got a chuckle taking it out of context.

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Teach the wife how to drive...?

Um...Y-yikes!

Yes, you added 4 wheel drive, but she may actually already know how to drive. I dont think the OP mentioned either way. The reality, obviously, is yes, anyone in the vehicle should know how to drive it.. just got a chuckle taking it out of context.
No worries. She is a great driver and has been driving off-road for year's. She also has the same rig (Gladiator).

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Something you may like to consider, take a page from the aviation handbook and make up checklists : we have one for local travel, one for big trips, one for driver handover, and one for weekly checks. This too may seem over the top, however if you inadvertently leave something behind which you really need you'll see the benefit.

I think this is a great answer. Though I've not driven through a desert for any appreciable length of time, the idea a "system" and of checklists appeal to me. By all means, remember as much as you can, but the checklist doesnt lie, and a system ingrains tasks into routine, so theres less likely an error.

...As long as your checklist is a good one. And if you do a couple dry runs, you will refine your checklist. If on any of those runs, you have an epiphany, then talk it over with your driving partner to determine that thought's usefulness. Once you come to a consensus, put it on ( or take it off) the list immediately.

Aviation checklists exist for a reason. Your NAEMD police/fire/ambulance dispatchers have been following checklists, flip charts and flow charts for decades. Once the proper details are figured out, they work

Reactions: Alanymarce

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I only travel solo because it is very difficult to sync holidays with other people who prefer the same style of traveling. It is hard enough to sync with my wife's work...
I did a lot longer trips than 5 days solo, in pretty remote places, with intermittent phone signal and language barriers (international travel )
There are 2 things that will stop you dead on your tracks. Getting bogged down severely and electrical issues. A bloody fuse or a relay can end you. You won't even be able to push start . So carry spare fuses, a multimeter, some wires and try and learn some electrical diagnostic. The basics are not that hard. Everything else will give you warning ( you hear some engine noise, some check lights might come on and so on.. suspension issues also are noisy so you have warning and you should be able to go back to civilization if you pay attention.) You can even crawl back with a broken CV but something electrical will stop you dead.
Getting bog down.. know your limits and the vehicle limits , and have a shovel, recovery boards, a big bottle jack with a piece of wood to use a stand, or even better, an air jack. Those will get you out of anything except river crossings. You might need to work your ass off, but you will get out, even if you have no winch.
Your best resources will be having common sense and keeping calm, have a good decision process. If you are in doubt, stop, get of the car, analyze, think. If the risk seems to high, better do a detour. You are there to relax, not to shovel 3 h.....

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
...carry spare fuses, a multimeter, some wires and try and learn some electrical diagnostic. ... You can even crawl back with a broken CV but something electrical will stop you dead.
Excellent point! Carrying fuses is so ingrained that it didn't occur to me to mention them ! Note that in some parts of the world (no idea about Nevada) it's a legal requirement to carry replacement bulbs also. We don't carry a multimeter (more weight, more space), but do carry wiresnips, appropriate screwdrivers, insulating tape, and some wire.

Reactions: Mtnmn99