York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
We have a “Members Spotted” thread. Maybe we could do a “overlanders spotted” thread?

I met a guy, Jacob, today at the gas station here where I live. He was traveling with his wife and dog. Pulled an awesome DIY trailer and he made a DIY bed rack. Driving a Taco. Seemed like a great guy. Now, without making it like we’re Jehova’s witnesses (not that there’s anything wrong with that if it’s your thing) maybe we could have cards made to hand out to people we see around town or on the trail. Just put the idea in their head in case they want to check out Overland Bound.

Not sure if this has been talked about or not, couldn’t find a discussion. But I also wasn’t sure what to type into the search bar.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

We have a “Members Spotted” thread. Maybe we could do a “overlanders spotted” thread?

I met a guy, Jacob, today at the gas station here where I live. He was traveling with his wife and dog. Pulled an awesome DIY trailer and he made a DIY bed rack. Driving a Taco. Seemed like a great guy. Now, without making it like we’re Jehova’s witnesses (not that there’s anything wrong with that if it’s your thing) maybe we could have cards made to hand out to people we see around town or on the trail. Just put the idea in their head in case they want to check out Overland Bound.

Not sure if this has been talked about or not, couldn’t find a discussion. But I also wasn’t sure what to type into the search bar.
For me, on my Leer truck camp shell, I put stickers of places we've been (Badlands and Yellowstone for example), gear we use (Bilstein shocks, Kurgo dog harness or example) and sometimes places where I've made purchases (Hilton's Tent City, previously of Boston now in Cambridge).

Im not all decked out like some people, but that's OK. The way I see it, my truck is my card. Your vehicle is your card. If someone sees it, likes it, and wants to know about it, you get to have a conversation and fill them in a little on your build and where you go for more info.

Theres another GMC Sierra (silver/grey) that I see from time to time on my morning commute. He has a decal across his tailgate for another similar website that rhymes with Pexpedition Mortal. Here, we have the OB coin emblem that can be affixed. I dont have one but they are available.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We make sure to have stickers etc on our rigs to identify us as part of OB, carry a few extra stickers and swag for those we come across on the trail that express interest in OB, and lastly have a few Overland Bound challenge coins with our member number that we can hand out if we come across someone going above and beyond to protect our lands or helping another traveler in need as a token of appreciation.

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

"maybe we could have cards made to hand out to people we see around town or on the trail. Just put the idea in their head in case they want to check out Overland Bound."

I'm not paid to be a recruiter. I have enough to do.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
You can get cards like you describe from the Overland Bound store, or at least you could in the past. It's a business card that has the Overland Bound website with your username on it so you could hand out to people .

Reactions: JacksonRL

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
You can get cards like you describe from the Overland Bound store, or at least you could in the past. It's a business card that has the Overland Bound website with your username on it so you could hand out to people .
That’s what I was meaning. I didn’t know that. I’ll look again to see.

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
"maybe we could have cards made to hand out to people we see around town or on the trail. Just put the idea in their head in case they want to check out Overland Bound."

I'm not paid to be a recruiter. I have enough to do.
Kind of an ignorant statement. But okay, buddy. I’m not talking going door to door or out of our way. And no one would be forcing you to participate.

I just mean if people come up to us and start a conversation. And none of us are getting paid to advertise with the stickers or badges we buy either. It’s about community and helping people.

Last edited:

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

Kind of an ignorant statement. But okay, buddy. I’m not talking going door to door or out of our way. And no one would be forcing you to participate.

I just mean if people come up to us and start a conversation. And none of us are getting paid to advertise with the stickers or badges we buy either. It’s about community and helping people.
It was meant as a tongue in cheek statement. But, since we went there.....And the internet is some serious business.....
It's not an ignorant statement. I can be helpful, informative, helpful, a good steward of the land, etc.
I don't need a calling card to do so. And other than pay a membership fee here, I don't owe OB a marketing pitch to everyone I meet.

That's all I'm saying.

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC

It was meant as a tongue in cheek statement. But, since we went there.....And the internet is some serious business.....
It's not an ignorant statement. I can be helpful, informative, helpful, a good steward of the land, etc.
I don't need a calling card to do so. And other than pay a membership fee here, I don't owe OB a marketing pitch to everyone I meet.

That's all I'm saying.
The interwebs be serious. All is good, I didn’t mean to sound like an asshole. I guess for anything sarcastic we need to add “lol” to it. And I hate doing that. So I digress.

Reactions: RatAssassin