Overland Truck build or a overland Trailer build

• HTML tutorial
Hi I am Matthew From Barrie Ontario Canada, new to over landing not new camping.. I am looking for peoples experience / thoughts around the following as I can not decide which way to go, should I build up my Truck into an over land vehicle, with an RTT from CVT and or go with a ground tent, the other option I am kicking around is an off road trailer with an RTT, I see a nice trailer from CVT that can be build into anything you feel like. Now that has been said. I have a full size Chevy pickup and normal go out with the Family, (wife, kid, and dog) so I am taking a lot of gear with me too.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
Don't get me started! ok too late. I've done both. I've got a trailer that has way too much stuff in it with my tent and awning mounted on the top. However, I also have the bed bars from all pro off road so I can move my rooftop tent from the trailer to the truck or mount my Yakima basket on the bars. We do a lot of state park camping so I take my trailer and leave it setup the whole time I'm there thus freeing up my truck to drive around. If I want to travel a long ways and travel light(er) I just take the truck with the tent on it. I'm about to order a new full height rack from cbi so I can mount my tent and awning higher and stand up under both of them. The mileage won't be as good because of the tent being so high but it will probably be better than pulling the trailer. With the full height rack I can also put my kayak on top if the tent is not on it. I have some very expensive ground tents too so that is also an option but that memory foam mattress in my rtt sure is nice with the way my back is these days. :) so basically I'm of no help whatsoever because I chose to do both. I'm beginning to lean more to just using the truck though. It all depends on the trip I suppose. With the trailer it is way too tempting to carry more stuff than I could ever possibly use. Plus you have to worry about hubs, lights, two additional tires that can go flat, etc. To summarize: I feel strongly both ways.

Don't get me started! ok too late. I've done both. I've got a trailer that has way too much stuff in it with my tent and awning mounted on the top. However, I also have the bed bars from all pro off road so I can move my rooftop tent from the trailer to the truck or mount my Yakima basket on the bars. We do a lot of state park camping so I take my trailer and leave it setup the whole time I'm there thus freeing up my truck to drive around. If I want to travel a long ways and travel light(er) I just take the truck with the tent on it. I'm about to order a new full height rack from cbi so I can mount my tent and awning higher and stand up under both of them. The mileage won't be as good because of the tent being so high but it will probably be better than pulling the trailer. With the full height rack I can also put my kayak on top if the tent is not on it. I have some very expensive ground tents too so that is also an option but that memory foam mattress in my rtt sure is nice with the way my back is these days. :) so basically I'm of no help whatsoever because I chose to do both. I'm beginning to lean more to just using the truck though. It all depends on the trip I suppose. With the trailer it is way too tempting to carry more stuff than I could ever possibly use. Plus you have to worry about hubs, lights, two additional tires that can go flat, etc. To summarize: I feel strongly both ways.
Like you I too do a lot of state park camping but up here they are called Provincial parks, I like the idea of pulling up setting up camp then heading off to explore in my truck. Thank you for your input, much to think about.

Mitra6

Rank 0

Contributor I

I too am divided on what to do but since i'm on a tight budget for now, i´m going to focus on the truck and go with the ground tent. In the future maybe upgrade to something more suitable! Although i do like the idea of a set up like "Toda" avatar!

Best regards.