Overland trip write ups

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I very much enjoy reading the trip reports posted as people share their outdoor adventures. One criticism, that I too am guilty of, is not being specific about the location so that many have no idea where the trip takes place. Looking through the beautiful pictures of scenic vistas and cozy campsites, I find myself think this looks amazing, but where the hell is it? I then have to use all my skill in Googling to try to figure out where this paradise can be found and can I get there from here?

On one of my own trip reports it would've been better to say...
"We headed out towards Nelsons Landing, NV, just south of Las Vegas and a few miles west of the Colorado River."
This would give geographical context and save the endless questions posted, "Where is this?"

Of course none of this applies to those super-secret locations that you don't want anyone else to find.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I very much enjoy reading the trip reports posted as people share their outdoor adventures. One criticism, that I too am guilty of, is not being specific about the location so that many have no idea where the trip takes place. Looking through the beautiful pictures of scenic vistas and cozy campsites, I find myself think this looks amazing, but where the hell is it? I then have to use all my skill in Googling to try to figure out where this paradise can be found and can I get there from here?

On one of my own trip reports it would've been better to say...
"We headed out towards Nelsons Landing, NV, just south of Las Vegas and a few miles west of the Colorado River."
This would give geographical context and save the endless questions posted, "Where is this?"

Of course none of this applies to those super-secret locations that you don't want anyone else to find.
Yes.

I think too many people concentrate on replicating someone else's exact destination and/or experience.

Also, I am concerned for those whom can only follow a GPS screen. What we do is not going across town to Starbucks. For us that go off road, we need to be aware of seasonal changes in terrain, alternate routes, basic location, conditions, personal requirements due to environment, etc... What I experienced to get somewhere may not be what you encounter following my bread crumb list of GPS points.

I too am the type to spend hours pouring over maps in order to figure out where someone is referring to. In that, I find my own route, and within that, my own custom experience is born. In your scenario, I feel that your description of "We headed out towards Nelsons Landing, NV, just south of Las Vegas and a few miles west of the Colorado River" is adequate.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

It is not my intention to trips of others. But I have found myself on more than one occasion going into someone's profile to try try to figure out where they are in order to try to figure some general location where their trip took place.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
It is not my intention to trips of others. But I have found myself on more than one occasion going into someone's profile to try try to figure out where they are in order to try to figure some general location where their trip took place.
Oh no, I was not meaning that you do, and if it came out that way I apologize. I thought this was a case of you being dogged for guidance.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Just for the record... if anyone wants to come up to this area or near it..... contact me and I will provide detailed instructions on where I camp and a couple other places to explore. I might even join you.
With no other members near me I figured giving turn-by-turn instructions was overkill (and would still require clarification to my backwoods areas as it's through a rough few trails).