Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Marshalltown. Iowa
First Name
Quinten
Last Name
Guevara
Member #

I’m looking an off road/overland trailer. Doesn’t have to be very fancy. I have a rooftop tent already so om not looking for another. Let me know what is out there that isn’t gonna bankrupt me. Any suggestions or ideas?

Reactions: Whiteknuckler

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Your cheapest option is the smittybilt trailer, if you can find it.

Pretty much everything is going to be in the 8k plus range.

I was in the same boat as you, so I ended up building mine.

Symmetry trailers out of Wyoming are reasonably priced. Full metal construction, and they can customize it. That would probably set you back 12-16k.

huffj

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Seabrook, Harris County, Texas, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Huff
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I’m looking an off road/overland trailer. Doesn’t have to be very fancy. I have a rooftop tent already so om not looking for another. Let me know what is out there that isn’t gonna bankrupt me. Any suggestions or ideas?
Queco,

You may want to look at surplus military trailers. Price will generally be lower and you can build to meet your needs if you want to take the diy approach. The picture is of my project, had a custom rack fabricated and built storage in the bed of the trailer.

Attachments

Reactions: jeepers29

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
I have to disagree with Reaver. Your cheapest trailer option is a flatbed utility trailer with modifications to the suspension to bring it up to a ride height similar to your trucks. Following that would be a mil surplus. The smittybilt trailers are not bad, but a simple DIY is often a better choice because it will give you exactly what you want. Mil surplus often need a replacement axle so you can use wheel/tire appropriate to your tow vehicle, and potentially a change of hitch unless you like pintles.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I have to disagree with Reaver. Your cheapest trailer option is a flatbed utility trailer with modifications to the suspension to bring it up to a ride height similar to your trucks. Following that would be a mil surplus. The smittybilt trailers are not bad, but a simple DIY is often a better choice because it will give you exactly what you want. Mil surplus often need a replacement axle so you can use wheel/tire appropriate to your tow vehicle, and potentially a change of hitch unless you like pintles.
This is the route I went, but not everybody has the ability to do that, so I didn't suggest it.

Mine is constantly being tweaked as we learn things about our setup, and being diy, it makes it much easier to do.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I have been designing my own to fit my needs. I will be towing it behind 2 different vehicles and a variety of terrain so I designed it around that in mind as well as how I pack and mainly the tire size I figured it would need to get through to some of the spots I planned on taking it.IMG_20230119_210745_689.jpgIMG_20230119_210745_844.jpg
The top will hold larger gear like tents, axes, shovels, traction boards ( I may still split it into 2 sections but the idea was to be able to access everything in the top no matter how it was parked). The bottom will be a series of drawers for cooking gear, tools, coolers, fuels, etc. The roof will have roof rails so if I do decide to go back to a RTT I can fit it up there, but will likely just haul kayaks.
The only reason for the trailer in my case is because my vehicles are small on the inside and I have a growing family. This will allow me to have less gear crammed in the vehicle and help get things a little more organized.

bcmedicxj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Vonore, TN, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRKP 397 Groundhog
Service Branch
EMS
Take a look at the Dinoot no weld trailer racks at Compact Camping Concepts. It's everything you need to convert a small utility trailer ( Lowes or Home Depot) into a nice lightweight overland trailer.

Reactions: Queco

Mountaintrails71

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newman Lake, Spokane County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Schlenker
Member #

KISS. KEEP IT SIMPLE ST$#@()
took a harbor freight, added 3500 lb axles and 2.5 inch hitch and reinforcing steel. Used take off Toyota rims to match my rig. Added boxes front and back and made a frame to hold my RTT. The center is lockable and I carry 2 pro pain tanks, spare, pottie, 5 gallons gas, 15 gal water, and blackstone griddle, chainsaw, propane fire pit in the center, front box is kitchen, rear box is other supplies. I have owned 7 rvs. Jeeped off-road my hole life and built a lot of storage things for my rigs. This was built on the design of simple. If I am out of town on a long trip and a bearing fails, they are the most common bearing and I can get them at any auto parts store. its 1500 pounds and can be towed by most anything. Wheel lug pattern is very common and you can get trailer tires to fit. Same as my rig so 2 spares. If my rig breaks down, it can be towed home with a uhaul truck. Stayed leaf springs because I can buy trailer springs in most towns and the leaf spring is strongest and most tried and true system. And no slides. Slides will not hold up to abuse in off-road or just constant gravel road situations.

Attachments