Overland trailer with a bathroom

• HTML tutorial

Desert Ham

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Escondido, CA
Member #

While reviewing all of the trailer threads, I came across two that were looking for a unit with a bathroom, or at least a toilet, a requirement of the wife, and didn't seem to find a response. There was also a thread about the Tab Outback, recently renamed the Tab Boondock, with an assessment that it probably wouldn't hold up to routine overlanding. What follows will hopefully address both items. The Tab Boondock is a 16' trailer that is lifted, has an off road axle and tires and weigh about 1800 lbs. It is built in Sugar Creek, Ohio by a firm owned and operated by the Amish. The Boondock is a "teardrop" shape, just slightly larger. You can stand up inside and the fully fitted out version has a toilet and shower, along with a stove, frig, A/C and heater. The cost, new, is about $20-$30K. I recommend that you check out a Blog maintained by a Mandy Lea who is a professional photographer and lives full time in her Tab Boondock. Her "Vlog" yes "Vlog" #30 is titled "Going off Road in a Tab Boondock." This may answer some questions. Mandy also has two additional "Vlogs" that address mods you can make to your Boondock. Check it out, "happy wife - happy life"

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
If you had a link to that Vlog, it may be more useful. I don't know how to find random Vlogs!

Thanks for posting this, I looked, albeit half-heartedly, for a trailer that is off-road capable AND had a bathroom.
I was unwilling to make the compromises that most with a bathroom came with.
I now have a fully capable off-road "military" style trailer that really works well for me, but sadly I can't get the wife to go with me.
Not 100% sure the addition of a bathroom would have solved that problem, therefore my half-hearted search.

Dan.

Desert Ham

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Escondido, CA
Member #

Dan, I just go on Google and type in "Mandy Lea Vlog #30" and it comes up, along with many of her other Vlogs. Give it a shot. Also I recommend that you go to Google and type in "Nucamp, Tab Boondock". and look at the trailer. If it looks reasonable, invite your wife in to take a look. Can't hurt.

Fred

Reactions: VCeXpedition

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

their is many manufactures out their that state offroad use for their trailers. IMO wood framed construction trailers worry me for that fact they will rattle themselves loose over a period of time being wood, glued, screwed & stapled together. Theres many options you can do, whether a cargo style trailer & build a privy closet w\ a composting toilet or simply having try a good quality privacy shelter for personal toilet use & showering use. I see many who want the comforts of home in the deep back country travels, a\c, & video tv viewing as a start. IMO the purpose of overlanding is to get away from the hodgepodge & rat race of our busy lives, least for me anyhow & explore on foot or vehicle to see what GOD laid before us to see & experience.
My wife & I loves the fact of getting rid of our 5th wheel the comforts of home & getting back to the fact what camping is & the meaning of overlanding out in the deep wilderness. Our friends look at us like were crazy @ our age. They will never experience the sites & areas we've gone.
My wife picked out our privacy shelter. She loves that privy, because in the deep wilderness it doesn't matter to her because were the only ones out there. My suggestion to you is be careful, too heavy of a trailer will not be a good choice for many safety reasons. In some cases less is always best.
29216805_1615039511878250_6947108928189775712_n.jpg 29249525_1615042341877967_7901345193191592798_n.jpg

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

To really figure this one out you really need to figure out what kind of overlanding you want to do. There are off road capable trailers out there with a bathroom option. There are some really nice ones made in Australia. All of the trailers that have bathroom have one thing in common. They are much larger than a small overlanding military style or teardrop style trailer. An Earth Roamer is off road capable but there are places it is just too large to go. Same applies to trailers.

My wife required some type of bathroom. We settled on a setup almost identical to @ArkansasDon. The two room shower tent works great and we can go virtually any place we want (and have).

So, consider the type of overlanding you want to do and what you are willing to spend. From there you can make your trailer choice.

Short list of some off road capable trailers with bathrooms...
Kimberley Caravan
Tab Boondock
Aliner Titanium
Rockwood off road popup tent trailer

Those are just a few off the top of my head. None of those could go the places I've taken my Terradrop but they can definitely get off the beaten path.

-Curtiss

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR

So, consider the type of overlanding you want to do and what you are willing to spend. From there you can make your trailer choice.

Short list of some off road capable trailers with bathrooms...
Kimberley Caravan
Tab Boondock
Aliner Titanium
Rockwood off road popup tent trailer

Those are just a few off the top of my head. None of those could go the places I've taken my Terradrop but they can definitely get off the beaten path.

-Curtiss

I would add to this list the Black Series HQ12, HQ15, HQ17, HQ19... those are the ones I'm lusting after right now but it changes the tow vehicle that I would need.
Black Series has a location now apparently in the LA area, I need to go out and drool in person.
It would mean moving up to a V8 powered tow vehicle. A 200 series Landcruiser is 1st on that list, a Tundra is there, domestic trucks way further down.

Dan.

Reactions: phxdsrtrat

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I would add to this list the Black Series HQ12, HQ15, HQ17, HQ19... those are the ones I'm lusting after right now but it changes the tow vehicle that I would need.
Black Series has a location now apparently in the LA area, I need to go out and drool in person.
It would mean moving up to a V8 powered tow vehicle. A 200 series Landcruiser is 1st on that list, a Tundra is there, domestic trucks way further down.

Dan.
I saw their trailers at the Overland Expo West 2018. Sweet rigs, but by no means small. Actually, I would say there were quadruple the number of trailer vendors from just 1 year ago. The overland trailer market has definitely exploded and there are many choices out there.

-Curtiss

Reactions: VCeXpedition

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Just my $0.02 folks. I agree with @ArkansasDon in that you have to decide on the type of overlanding you want to do. If your goal is to get into the woods on maintained forest service roads then a larger rig (such as the T@B or others) would work fine. We have a Jayco Hummingbird "Baja" edition. It is a nice camper, but I wouldn't take it on anything more than decently maintained dirt road. I have a recently home-built 5X8 off-road teardrop that I've taken on two recent excursions (see photos). It is a very capable rig, but is very basic - inside sleeping and a galley hatch, no potty facilities. The rough roads do take their toll on components. I have had to keep an eye on suspension nuts and the rattling has resulted in the nuts backing out from the bolt. Also, the larger the rig, the more limited you are accessing remote areas. We just got back from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We aimed to camp on one of the points and almost didn't make it due to the tight turns around trees. Trailers are great but they will change the routes you choose. TD2.jpg TD1.jpg