Port orchard, wa
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Morrison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7jnl
My insurance agency informed me that because my overland trailer is homebuilt, that no one will insure it. They even reached out to brokers with no positive response. It is insured while it's being towed, but not when it's stand alone. Have you had any luck?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Many teardrop home builders also face the same issue. I've looked at it as I spent $4,000 to built it, and enjoyed it for 13 years so far, so its served me well.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

My insurance agency informed me that because my overland trailer is homebuilt, that no one will insure it. They even reached out to brokers with no positive response. It is insured while it's being towed, but not when it's stand alone. Have you had any luck?
Same here in Ontario. I purchased a tear drop trailer from a dealership in 2019. It's nothing fancy but I was required to provide the dealership with proof of insurance before I could pick it up. I found that kind of odd because I could have canceled the insurance as soon as I left the lot.

Anyway, I arranged for insurance through a company I've been with for decades (house and 5 vehicles). I asked if I could get insurance on 3 other trailers; a home built utility trailer, a home built expedition trailer and a 1980s' fibreglass camper (similar to a Boler). Like you they're covered by the tow vehicle for liability but that's it. They all have value, I just think they don't want he hassle of arguing with you should there be a claim.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Mine is duly registered and titled. Farmers was more than happy to insure it. We set an agreed $20,000 value.

Last edited:

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I would think the only way to really get a homebuilt (which is what the thread title should say, not "overland") trailer insured would be to have it appraised and then use the appraisal to have your insurance company provide you with an agreed-value policy. They don't want to/won't insure homebuilt vehicles because it's very hard to determine the actual value of and potential repair costs for such trailers. Having an appraisal and agreed-value policy seems like it would be the easiest route. Wish I could be more help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparksalot