Overland Texas

• HTML tutorial

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Anyone have any leads on some good places in Texas?

Where i live EVERYTHING belongs to SOMEBODY

Sucks....

Google has frustrated me in the last 2 hours and i am just firing an arrow question.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if its an inconvenience [emoji53]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I shared a route over in the Texas Hill Country Overland thread. It's not true wheeling. Any stock high clearance can make the crossings. It follows a series of old dirt County Roads. Other than that, and the National Forests (Angelina, Sam Houston and Davey Crockett) Your options are limited to the private parks you have to pay to get into. Barnwell Mnt and Hidden Falls are the ones most folks talk about these days.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

BBNP is the best I've found for "real" overland with backcountry camping sites that have destinations worth the effort (Ernst Tijana, Terlingua Abajo, Grapevine Hills, etc). Davy Crockett has dispersed camping and some dirt roads, but nothing that really goes to anywhere that I can find. In my part of Texas unpaved County Roads have found some very cool things for day-trip adventures. Like this bridge near Gause, Texas:

F8Industries-MarkedForWeb-01-43.jpg

Skywalk26

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Alvin, Texas
First Name
Walker
Last Name
Rose
Member #

BBNP is the best I've found for "real" overland with backcountry camping sites that have destinations worth the effort (Ernst Tijana, Terlingua Abajo, Grapevine Hills, etc). Davy Crockett has dispersed camping and some dirt roads, but nothing that really goes to anywhere that I can find. In my part of Texas unpaved County Roads have found some very cool things for day-trip adventures. Like this bridge near Gause, Texas:

View attachment 849
Can you tell me how to get to that bridge. It would be a good day trip for me coming from Houston.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Can you tell me how to get to that bridge. It would be a good day trip for me coming from Houston.
30.825709, -96.743862

Just outside of Gause, Texas on CR-264. It is called the Sugarloaf Bridge and is next to, drumroll please...Sugarloaf Mountain.

Pull over on the CR, look for the break in the barbed wire fence to the east and take the short hike up to the top for lunch: 30.811751, -96.736305

From Houston: 290 to Hempstead, take SH-6 north towards College Station, travel through College Station to Hearne (watch your speed on the south boarder of Hearne, it drops to 55mph really early and they really mean it), take a left on US 79. Follow to Gause. On US 79 you'll find the German POW camp from WWII next to the local airport (which was an alternate field for the Bryan Army Air Corps base outside of Bryan, TX to the south). On the way back I would recommend taking SH-36 through Caldwell and Brenham. There are some neat things along the way. If you pull off in Gay Hill (which isn't really marked very well) you can find an abandoned gas station buried behind the trees and weeds with this inside:

F8Industries-MarkedForWeb-12-2.jpg

There's a really badass older couple in Gay Hill that are old school hot rodders, you can't miss'em. Stop and ask about their cars, they'll talk your ear off!

F8Industries-MarkedForWeb-18.jpg
(from inside their shop)

willlord

Rank III

Contributor III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Lord
30.825709, -96.743862

Just outside of Gause, Texas on CR-264. It is called the Sugarloaf Bridge and is next to, drumroll please...Sugarloaf Mountain.

Pull over on the CR, look for the break in the barbed wire fence to the east and take the short hike up to the top for lunch: 30.811751, -96.736305

From Houston: 290 to Hempstead, take SH-6 north towards College Station, travel through College Station to Hearne (watch your speed on the south boarder of Hearne, it drops to 55mph really early and they really mean it), take a left on US 79. Follow to Gause. On US 79 you'll find the German POW camp from WWII next to the local airport (which was an alternate field for the Bryan Army Air Corps base outside of Bryan, TX to the south). On the way back I would recommend taking SH-36 through Caldwell and Brenham. There are some neat things along the way. If you pull off in Gay Hill (which isn't really marked very well) you can find an abandoned gas station buried behind the trees and weeds with this inside:

View attachment 1374

There's a really badass older couple in Gay Hill that are old school hot rodders, you can't miss'em. Stop and ask about their cars, they'll talk your ear off!

View attachment 1375
(from inside their shop)
Your photos are spectacular! I think I may have to check out these spots.