Overland Teardrop Trailer

• HTML tutorial

Robert Knasel

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Vienna, OH
Member #

We have an overland teardrop that we have made from a Little Guy Trailer and done a ton of modifications, including chassis and suspension. You can check our our YouTube Channel to see the steps taken to build the trailer, and the things we have done since this summary video. Be sure to watch later video, as we have done even more modifications to the trailer as we have traveled with the trailer extensively.

S

SubeeBen

Beautiful looking setup. Just bought our T@G trailer with the same idea & intentions. Nice looking rig.

Reactions: Drifterman

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

We have an overland teardrop that we have made from a Little Guy Trailer and done a ton of modifications, including chassis and suspension. You can check our our YouTube Channel to see the steps taken to build the trailer, and the things we have done since this summary video. Be sure to watch later video, as we have done even more modifications to the trailer as we have traveled with the trailer extensively.
A little bit late, but I really like what you did with the Little Guy here. Especially the frame/fender changes and reinforcement.

Do you have a more detailed "build sheet" write-up somewhere?

We have a Silver Shadow that we bought new in 2012 and it needs some work by now - especially the passenger side where it looks as if the skin delaminates :-( After that repair i was thinking of bedlining it as well. How did yours hold up?

2018-01-20_06-35-32.jpg

Robert Knasel

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Vienna, OH
Member #

Hello,
It has held up really good, no issues at all, the shop in Troy, OH did an excellent job, Line X of Troy.

Sorry I do not have a detailed build thread, I drew the plans on a single sheet of grid paper.

There are however a few more videos , discussing the build, so check those out on our YouTube Channel, and subscribe as we are publishing more videos specifically about the trailer, to include a rear spare tire carrier swing mount addition.

Thanks

Rob

A little bit late, but I really like what you did with the Little Guy here. Especially the frame/fender changes and reinforcement.

Do you have a more detailed "build sheet" write-up somewhere?

We have a Silver Shadow that we bought new in 2012 and it needs some work by now - especially the passenger side where it looks as if the skin delaminates :-( After that repair i was thinking of bedlining it as well. How did yours hold up?

View attachment 87977

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

Hello,
It has held up really good, no issues at all, the shop in Troy, OH did an excellent job, Line X of Troy.

Sorry I do not have a detailed build thread, I drew the plans on a single sheet of grid paper.

There are however a few more videos , discussing the build, so check those out on our YouTube Channel, and subscribe as we are publishing more videos specifically about the trailer, to include a rear spare tire carrier swing mount addition.

Thanks

Rob
Wow, that was a fast reply :-)

Yes, I watched your videos and am looking forward to more. You definitely inspired me to give the trailer a second look ... I am contemplating to sell it (the "big dream" is to restore an old Airstream), and use a bed rack with a roof top tent on our F150 until then ... The Little Guy was a compromise back then because the Jeep cannot tow enough.

However, we've towed the Little Guy from VA all cross-country to UT, NV, and AZ, and along the East Coast, and having solid walls *is* a huge advantage. I am just a bit disappointed about the quality of the LG,starting with dents from small rocks in the skin to the current state - bedling the trailer might help with that.

Thanks! R.

Robert Knasel

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Vienna, OH
Member #

Yes, Bed lining would give it a facelift for sure, Just keep in mind that you may not sleep as good as you like, in a RTT, when we made our trip to Glacier National Park, the winds were 60+ mph and we would have been miserable sleeping in a tent. This was July, and it was about 40 degrees with high winds and sleeting sideways. We crawled into the little guy, and within an hour our body heat warmed it up, The line-x makes very good insulation , it seals everything air tight, and no wind noise to keep you up. It was so windy , we had to lean into it. Plus bears is always a factor.

Wow, that was a fast reply :-)

Yes, I watched your videos and am looking forward to more. You definitely inspired me to give the trailer a second look ... I am contemplating to sell it (the "big dream" is to restore an old Airstream), and use a bed rack with a roof top tent on our F150 until then ... The Little Guy was a compromise back then because the Jeep cannot tow enough

However, we've towed the Little Guy from VA all cross-country to UT, NV, and AZ, and along the East Coast, and having solid walls *is* a huge advantage. I am just a bit disappointed about the quality of the LG,starting with dents from small rocks in the skin to the current state - bedling the trailer might help with that.

Thanks! R.

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

Yes, Bed lining would give it a facelift for sure, Just keep in mind that you may not sleep as good as you like, in a RTT, when we made our trip to Glacier National Park, the winds were 60+ mph and we would have been miserable sleeping in a tent. This was July, and it was about 40 degrees with high winds and sleeting sideways. We crawled into the little guy, and within an hour our body heat warmed it up, The line-x makes very good insulation , it seals everything air tight, and no wind noise to keep you up. It was so windy , we had to lean into it. Plus bears is always a factor.
These are all the reasons that I am also thinking about. I was at the Vermont Overland Rally in 2013 which was in early October and slept like a baby while my neighbors were not so comfy in their tents (it was around freezing at night). And having a kitchen with a fridge was another plus too.

Let's see what my current issue with the wall is, and what an upgrade to a similar setup as yours would cost. You mentioned about 5k or so in one of your videos, but didn't have hard labor costs at that time. Does that sound about right in hindsight now?

Robert Knasel

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Vienna, OH
Member #

Cannot, Really give you a budget for your setup, We did a ton of things, and I do have a total price, but it would not necessarily apply to your build, Local shop labor, etc, extent of modifications. I would say $5000 will get you a great start,

But keep in mind that your trailer is not rally designed to be lifted as mine was, The shape of the Silver Shadow, will not lend itself to the result you are looking for. The Rough rider has the skid pans underneath, and the shape is better, you rear end to more flat, and does not taper upward. Just something to keep in mind. Not saying that you cannot do it, but you need to consider that into your finished product design.

These are all the reasons that I am also thinking about. I was at the Vermont Overland Rally in 2013 which was in early October and slept like a baby while my neighbors were not so comfy in their tents (it was around freezing at night). And having a kitchen with a fridge was another plus too.

Let's see what my current issue with the wall is, and what an upgrade to a similar setup as yours would cost. You mentioned about 5k or so in one of your videos, but didn't have hard labor costs at that time. Does that sound about right in hindsight now?

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

Cannot, Really give you a budget for your setup, We did a ton of things, and I do have a total price, but it would not necessarily apply to your build, Local shop labor, etc, extent of modifications. I would say $5000 will get you a great start,

But keep in mind that your trailer is not rally designed to be lifted as mine was, The shape of the Silver Shadow, will not lend itself to the result you are looking for. The Rough rider has the skid pans underneath, and the shape is better, you rear end to more flat, and does not taper upward. Just something to keep in mind. Not saying that you cannot do it, but you need to consider that into your finished product design.
Fair points. Let me do my homework and if I decide to do an upgrade (thinking of slightly taller tires and flat fenders for horizontal space, and some corner protection /think "rock rails"/90 degree bent steel all around the bottom. The bedliner and awnings, *and* I really like your propane container solution) I will start a build thread here.

Thanks again for your insights. I downloaded the side pictures from your FB posts for reference.