Overland subscription box? Would anyone be interested???

• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@PuraVida

The subscription box really does not work for me. I've tried a few of them but find that I'm far too picky and generally don't get good value for the money spent.

Regarding lights in the higher end box I would not want to run around with 1 brand light on the left side of the truck and something different on the right, then a 3rd brand in the rack etc. I think you would have to be making very large orders to get enough of a discount to make this worthwhile. I don't expect there to be a margin in it.

I'd suggest putting together smaller "universal" kits that could be ordered based on skill level, area etc. I'd find that more valuable.
Something like:
  • Beginner's Recovery kit (see https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/recovery-kits.309/ for item ideas ) find a way to put together a simple kit, supply instructions for using the gear and a durable organized carry case as the value add along with a say a 5-15% discount over buying the parts separately.
  • Roof Rack light kit - may be 2 options 2 light or 4 light, complete with all needed wiring and instructions for various vehicles. Pick high quality lights and components work with knowledgeable folks to create the instructions. Provide support for questions.
  • Vehicle specific wiring harnesses Far more specialized but a turn key kit for installing a remote fuse box
  • Region specific guide book collections IE: current topo set, route details, Points items of interest. This could be made as a club box where if 5 folks from OB were planning to meet up and run all over Death valley you could ship out 5 DV kits so everyone is on the same page. If you were writing the doc you could even deliver electronically.

If you were not looking to make this a business and were looking to help out the community I'd like to see member discounts and curated group buys added to the community.

My $0.02
Boort

Reactions: PuraVida

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Its an awesome idea! I just sub'd to the Battlbox (I like knives...) and REALLLLLYYYYY tried to find an overlander sub box...but found only camping and hiking-aimed boxes. A lot of the stuff u get in the boxes, sometimes can be useless...but its all always re-giftable! Especially becausee its all valuable in some sort of way. Love the idea. Especially if the "overlander" box contained things like you mentioned such as CARB approved jerry cans, small light bars/cubes, other cool off-roading odds and ends....I find a cool looking rig can never have too many lights! would love to follow along on the Instagram!! I'm @RoverLandingSOCAL, give me a follow!!

Reactions: PuraVida