Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Overland Safety Kit: Introduction

This post is the introduction to a series of articles targeted at helping those individuals who are just getting started in the overlanding lifestyle, but will also be beneficial to the veterans to review for their own kit confirmation or refinement.

I've chosen to start with Overland Safety since it really should be the first priority when prepping and executing an expedition. I should quickly note for the newcomers; that while my first emphasis is on safety, this isn't intended to paint overlanding as an overtly dangerous or extreme sport. Just as driving to work has its own specific risks, there are also risks involved in overlanding that should be considered. If you are properly prepared, you will have the confidence to react when the unexpected occurs. Not to mention the peace of mind you gain from considering the risks and putting steps in place to mitigate them. Whether you're a family overlander or a lone wolf, don't skip out on putting together a kit that meets your specific needs. This is the most important step before you step out the door.

The (draft) topic list for the Overland Safety Kit is as follows:

Part I: First-Aid Kit
Part II: Fire Extinguisher
Part III: Backup Navigation
Part IV: Emergency Communications
Part V: Emergency Rations
Part VI: Emergency Tools, Clothing, and Shelter

I will try to keep each article short and sweet as I tend to be a bit long-winded and don't want the reader to become bored or overwhelmed with the info presented.

I'll go ahead and make the disclaimer now that this series isn't meant to be step-by-step guide for trail safety, but rather a starting point and a resource list for you to reference while determining what is right for your kit.
I strongly encourage each OB member to participate with your own input on this and the upcoming articles because I recognize that there are many different methods and means we all use to achieve the same goals. I most certainly don't have it all figured out, and I really do love to learn how others approach a particular subject because it may be more efficient than my current method.
I will update original articles as needed based on the follow-up discussions from the readers so that all additional input is referenced in the main posting.

Stay tuned for PART I: "First-Aid Kit"

Last edited:

TnWalrus

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Memphis, TN
Member #

All of the kits are great, but without solid training on how to use it, you are not even half way there. Having the biggest coolest first aid kit is worthless, if you don’t know what to do with the contents. I have found that something as seemingly simple as a tourniquet can actually be a problem. People know in therory how it is supposed to work, but underestimate drastically how tight it needs to be to work. I’ve been a fire/medic for well over 20 years now, and I can’t stress enough how important it is to go take a class on how to use the emergency gear you carry.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Have to upgrade to a better fire extinguisher. OR- 2
Have a big first aid kit(400 round ammo cans-sealed
Cell phone, GMRS, FRMS, CB, GPS
Recovery gear-straps,chain,shackles,winch dampener, hi-lift, rear tow point, and 'come-along'
Vivair 88P air pump
Tire deflate kit
Shovel
6 foot steel pry bar....trail fixing or extraction tool for rocks....item of last resort:fearscream:
I always carry a little food(seasonal)-winter gets more.
Clothing that fits the season

Update:
I Have assembled a trama bag that is almost complete for basic use. It is not by far as extensive as the OB post thread in scope would have it , but is more extensive than just a first aid kit has. I need a emergency tourniquit to add, to make it basically adequete. One thing I recommend is 'VET TRAP' bandages as they do not need tape to stay in place. Horse people use it for equine lower leg support (pasterns). A good item to have if a splint stabilization is needed. You can find them in feed stores or on-line. They will also keep the area clean from contamination post treatment.

Last edited:

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I always have my medical kit out in the open attached to my molle panel in my JK. A fire extinguisher is a must have as well. Always assure your extinguisher is ready to use with the proper pressure inside. I believe they also have a date stamped on them somewhere to ensure the life span.

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
An area I feel pretty confident in... my rig has an ALS & BLS Kit, O2, IFAK (x3), Fire Extinguisher (X3), Cell (FirstNet), UHF & VHF radios, 72 hour food/water supply (X2), and recovery kit (no winch). That said, I’m always looking to get it better and more efficient.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Recovery Gear
First Aid / Trauma kits
Extra Food
All Season Clothing
Fire Ext. ,
Cell Phone.... what I need now is my Communications add on...... CB radio ( I am thinking)
I still keep a CB handy. Add a GMRS radio for future use (group use) , and if so inclined, step it up to a HAM. There are a couple of threads on here about PLB and similar upgrades for when deep in the back country or during bad weather. The rest of the list looks good.

PS: I would ad a 2nd small fire-bottle, just in case of a stubborn incident. You-tube has the video of 'coyote works' jeep , meltdown, which shows that exact same scenario playing out.

Last edited:

Pam Ferguson

Rank II

Member I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Pam
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

I still keep a CB handy. Add a GMRS radio for future use (group use) , and if so inclined, step it up to a HAM. There are a couple of threads on here about PLB and similar upgrades for when deep in the back country or during bad weather. The rest of the list looks good.
Please forgive my ignorance but what is GMRS?

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I am an older newbie.
GMRS is 'General Mobile Radio Service'. It is a alternative to CB (citizens Band). Right now it is a $70 federal licence for a 10 year term, that also allows your family to use it, unlike Ham, which is only to be used by the licence holder. If you use a GMRS radio, you can also use those hand-held FRMS units you see at Walmart or sporting goods stores to communicate, as they share similar frequency's, but at different LOWER power outputs.

Punk'n_Willy

Rank V

Advocate I

Macomb, Michigan, United States
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Riss
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Veteran
GMRS is 'General Mobile Radio Service'. It is a alternative to CB (citizens Band). Right now it is a $70 federal licence for a 10 year term, that also allows your family to use it, unlike Ham, which is only to be used by the licence holder. If you use a GMRS radio, you can also use those hand-held FRMS units you see at Walmart or sporting goods stores to communicate, as they share similar frequency's, but at different LOWER power outputs.
The price has actually been reduced to $35 for 10 years.