Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Leesburg, Ga
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Owens
Member #

Just sold my power wagon (Missing her already) and Im needing a more full efficient daily driver that could tow a small boat, tow a 4x8 flat bed trailer, and serve as my overland rig. Iv got my eye on a 1998 GC 5.9 with the transfer case conversion, and a 2011 Ford Escape 4wd. Yes I know thats two opposite ends of the spectrum. Needing it for trails like the Georgia Traverse and such, and would love to plan a trip on the Trans American. We do a lot of beach camping too.

If anyone knows of a better rig, please let me know. Budget is $8500, but really would love to spend less so I have money left for upgrades.

4runner? Cherokee? Grand Cherokee? Quad cab small or midsize pick up?

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

Bug out - I live about 20 miles north of you, and see a tee-total ton of vehicles that could be nice overland rigs on Facebook here in SW. GA (Marketplace or specific sale groups -- a lot of them just on Marketplace). Make sure you are looking at Columbus and Tallahassee too, as some of the best deals will come from people who need to sell before they move (military and student, though the latter you're better off with professors...unless daddy bought them the truck)

You'd probably need to put tires and suspension on, eventually bumper and winch, but I do see usable racks and some (modest, not mud bogger) lifts on the models you list. If you have a good mechanic to check it out, or are comfortable doing it yourself, you should be able to find a nice start for well under your price, giving you room to add the parts you want.

I hear that the 4wd place in Macon does really good work, if you don't like the folks on Ledo Road (not naming names...)

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

I pull a pretty big trailer (Aliner camper) with my 2wd ranger on-road. Added shocks and transmission cooler, plus brake controller, so the Escape should be able to pull your trailer, by the way. I had an early-model Escape (the one built by Mazda or whoever) that went pretty much anywhere reasonable, but didn't really like sugar sand a lot. It was light in the rear, so traction could be a problem when it wasn't loaded.

Bug out 1

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Leesburg, Ga
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Owens
Member #

I generally handle my own mods to my vehicles, short of gear swaps.
Unfortunately I don't have Facebook so I can't look there. I've been searching Craig's list and auto trader and I went to Atlanta twice to look at vehicles and both times it was a bust. I looked at a low mileage tundra, steering was messed up and engine had a tick. I looked at a low mileage XJ, turned out to be rusted, came from Colorado, and had electrical issues. Looked at several pathfinders, all either had tons of rust or mechanical issues. Looked at a 2dr Tahoe, leaked tons of oil, brakes are shot, steering was so loose. I did look at several 4runners that seemed legit but had high miles, all above 220k. I looked at Tallahassee, but they all had rust. I found a 1999 trooper locally with 169k miles. Going to look at it today. Asking $3500 and very negotiable. What's yalls thoughts on that? I'm also going to look at a tj with 53k miles in Lagrange tomorrow, but the guy is kinda being hard to deal with. I've been trying for weeks to come see it but he is always busy and he wants cash only, no bank checks. I don't prefer carrying that much cash but might have to.
I really want another Lj, found one in Dothan for $13,000 but it sold the same day the guy posted it. It was a low mileage rubicon owned by a soldier. I talked to him in the morning and by the time I could free up my schedule it sold.

So now it's
trooper?
TJ?
Or high mileage 4runner?
Unless someone knows of something else.

Bug out 1

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Leesburg, Ga
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Owens
Member #

https://albanyga.craigslist.org/cto/d/isuzu-trooper-4x4/6715416991.html The Trooper, Female owned, no service records, local

https://columbusga.craigslist.org/cto/d/jeep-wrangler/6705669618.html The TJ, Guy is hard to deal with, said he would take $9500, AC is not hooked up but is included. Tach does not work, and air lockers compressor is not hooked up. Will only take cash.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/2004-4runner-sport-4x4/6709205314.html 4runner, real nice guy, lots of service records. Will take $9700. Little concerned about the miles and cost

ATXnative

Rank 0

Traveler I

TX
https://albanyga.craigslist.org/cto/d/isuzu-trooper-4x4/6715416991.html The Trooper, Female owned, no service records, local

https://columbusga.craigslist.org/cto/d/jeep-wrangler/6705669618.html The TJ, Guy is hard to deal with, said he would take $9500, AC is not hooked up but is included. Tach does not work, and air lockers compressor is not hooked up. Will only take cash.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/2004-4runner-sport-4x4/6709205314.html 4runner, real nice guy, lots of service records. Will take $9700. Little concerned about the miles and cost
4runner no question is the most reliable in general, even with that many miles, assuming good service records. Stay away from TJs, they are a nightmare (I owned one and knew many that did). 4 runner is going to have the most parts availability as well.

follow-up: My 80-series landcruiser has about 270k miles and I would still consider it more reliable than a TJ. I have just kept up on regular maintenance and have been a little proactive as well, and it runs great.

Bug out 1

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Leesburg, Ga
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Owens
Member #

I had and '04 LJ that I put 150k miles on and besides regular maintenance I only had to replace axle seals, cps, and neutral safety switch, and it was running 35's. Loved it. Mad at myself for selling it.

ATXnative

Rank 0

Traveler I

TX
I had and '04 LJ that I put 150k miles on and besides regular maintenance I only had to replace axle seals, cps, and neutral safety switch, and it was running 35's. Loved it. Mad at myself for selling it.
Maybe some of the issues were ironed out by then. I had a 97, and I knew 5 others with 97-99 models and we all had problems. I would think that there are plenty of TJs for sale, though, so you shouldn't need to deal with a bad seller.

jstim

Rank 0

Traveler I

Depending on what your plans for it are, for overloading, you really cannot shake a stick at what the 4runners can do for you.