Overland Ram Mount Solutions

• HTML tutorial

Clang

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Denver, CO
Member #

This doesn't help you if you don't have a JK/U, but it is a great piece of kit if you do. The cockpit of the Wrangler is notoriously lacking is places to mount your electronics. This is a great solution if you are a fan of the ram mounts.

No relationship with the company at all, other than satisfied customer.

https://vectoroffroad.com/products/jke-dock-2011-2017

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
The addiction continues. Tired of my suction mount version coming of on rough trails (forest roads it works fine)

I added a motorcycle mount onto the long arm of my iPad mount. My delorme will go there or when the wife is riding shotgun she can put her phone there while charging. I had to buy the short arm with the large tightening handle vs the round dial version. The ball would not stay in place with the other version.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

The addiction continues. Tired of my suction mount version coming of on rough trails (forest roads it works fine)

I added a motorcycle mount onto the long arm of my iPad mount. My delorme will go there or when the wife is riding shotgun she can put her phone there while charging. I had to buy the short arm with the large tightening handle vs the round dial version. The ball would not stay in place with the other version.

Lookin' good, Chris! Can't beat a solid mount.

Monsignor

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Prosper, TX
Member #

The app I've been using is called OBD Fusion. The transmitter I got from Amazon and is called Xseries Auto Wi-Fi ELM 327. The transmitter goes into the OBD II jack on your vehicle and you link you iPad to it with Wi-Fi.

It's a one or the other deal. Your can have GPS or OBD but not both at the same time. That's not something that worries me. Mostly I use it for navigation.
Sorry in advance if it's a no-no here to resurrect an older thread and for straying slightly off-topic.... I also bought my first set of RAM mounts this week. Excited to explore more of these!

I just took a leap into the OBD world; bought a Kiwi3 (BlueTooth) OBD Scanner and use OBD Fusion (have it on my iPad and iPhone). Do you use the internal map in Fusion or another app? Would this work via BT?

Also, I am having a devil of a time with Fusion and my transmission temps. When I bought the 'Enhanced' pack for my 2009 Land Cruiser, there were 3 options for the transmission; after doing my PID scan they all disappeared... I am working with Fusion Support on this but is a SLOW process.... Anyone have the Custom PID for these values? I have seen a large number of forums posting numbers but none work for the 2009.

Thanks and sorry for the slight hijack!

Last edited:

Edward Ruth

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Ruth
Member #

Sorry but I am not the one to answer your question. I never had an interest in messing with PIDs

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Sorry in advance if it's a no-no here to resurrect an older thread and for straying slightly off-topic.... I also bought my first set of RAM mounts this week. Excited to explore more of these!

I just took a leap into the OBD world; bought a Kiwi3 (BlueTooth) OBD Scanner and use OBD Fusion (have it on my iPad and iPhone). Do you use the internal map in Fusion or another app? Would this work via BT?

Also, I am having a devil of a time with Fusion and my transmission temps. When I bought the 'Enhanced' pack for my 2009 Land Cruiser, there were 3 options for the transmission; after doing my PID scan they all disappeared... I am working with Fusion Support on this but is a SLOW process.... Anyone have the Custom PID for these values? I have seen a large number of forums posting numbers but none work for the 2009.

Thanks and sorry for the slight hijack!
We use the Torque App but it's only Andriod based so I couldn't help with your question. We had to manually enter the coding to get the PID for our transmission temps on the 2014 4Runner so you'll probably have to do the same with your program. You might try a support forum for the particular app you're using for more specific ideas on how to make that work. Good luck!

Reactions: Monsignor

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

Finally got around to mounting mine up. I used a square ball mount attached to the dash trim piece with a cut piece of abs attached to the back for added support. It's incredibly solid and the tablet hardly moves at all, even going over washboards! Since installing it, I have painted the bolt heads black so it blends in better. Is nice!

I'm running Gaia GPS on the tablet and it works great!

The view from the back:

The mount and the plastic plate I made for added support.

Revere

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, Kentucky
Member #

I just ordered my RAM Mounts for my tablet! I'm still looking for ways to mount the mics for my radios. Probably just going to drill/screw some into the dash, even though I would rather not.

HKLover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ohio/Tenn
First Name
John
Last Name
Shanower
Member #

2017 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock with a Vector Offroad JK Dock mounted on the dash and mounted to it is my Kenwood TH-D74A ham radio, Mob Armor phone mount, Samsung Tab A 10.1 tablet, and on the passenger side is a phone holder for my girlfriend.

On highway and paved roads the tablet is pretty rock solid and doesn't move. Off road it does wriggle a bit but I never have to readjust it. Everything else doesn't move at all. So far I am really happy with it.

Installation of the actual bar took about ten minutes and it doesn't move or make any noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

HKLover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ohio/Tenn
First Name
John
Last Name
Shanower
Member #

I just ordered my RAM Mounts for my tablet! I'm still looking for ways to mount the mics for my radios. Probably just going to drill/screw some into the dash, even though I would rather not.
Here is what I did for mounting the ham radio mic on the a-pillar in my Jeep. It is a Nite-ize Steelie Magnetic phone mount.

The steel ball is mounted to the a-pillar with the included adhesive and the actual magnetic mount is on the clip of the mic again with the included adhesive. So far it works great. You don't have to try to hook the mic on a normal mic clip and no drilling holes in your dash either.

Six Actual

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benicia, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wickett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA6XM
HK, thanks for the tip with the mic holder. I have a clip style in my JK that has worked ok over the years, but I like this option so much better. Order just placed for one.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Lost-Again

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Again
Member #

I use a Ram mount. But no holes. They just freak me out. 247FCB29-E504-45F5-A64D-FBBA982AA6E4.png

k_dipietro

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Kris
Last Name
D
Member #

Steelie mount looks like an awesome solution! Thanks for the tip.
Update! I tried using the Nightize Steelie mount for my Cobra C75WXST handheld, and it's just not strong enough. I haven't taken it off road yet, but the mic falls off even in the city over bumps and street car tracks. To be fair, this is a heavier handheld because the radio is built into the handset, so it may still work for lighter handsets, but in my case it's not the right solution.

I have the steelie mounted on the end of a Ram Mount arm, and i really like the location! I'm going to see if i can get the standard mic clip mounted to that ram mount arm, instead of the steelie.
IMG_8397.JPG

Last edited:

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Update! I tried using the Nightize Steelie mount for my Cobra C75WXST handheld, and it's just not strong enough. I haven't taken it off road yet, but the mic falls off even in the city over bumps and street car tracks. To be fair, this is a heavier handheld because the radio is built into the handset, so it may still work for lighter handsets, but in my case it's not the right solution.

I have the steelie mounted on the end of a Ram Mount arm, and i really like the location! I'm going to see if i can get the standard mic clip mounted to that ram mount arm, instead of the steelie.
You could also go with one of these mounts, it's a pretty slick setup.
https://jeepuniq.com/collections/jeepuniq-mounts-for-jeep-jk-2011-2017/products/cobra-75-wx-cb-mic-holder-mount-1118

k_dipietro

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Kris
Last Name
D
Member #

Those are pretty slick, I agree! I've seen that mount for even cheaper on Amazon actually. I didn't like it because it restricts me to having the CB in that spot only. I might mount an iPad near there in the future too, so I wanted to be able to shift things around with the Ram Mounts to make it fit in a way that works for me.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Those are pretty slick, I agree! I've seen that mount for even cheaper on Amazon actually. I didn't like it because it restricts me to having the CB in that spot only. I might mount an iPad near there in the future too, so I wanted to be able to shift things around with the Ram Mounts to make it fit in a way that works for me.
I hear you, I chose d) all of the above...haha!

I have a mic mount on the grab handle with a ram ball on the side of it for a passenger phone mount.

Everything else is on the vector dock using ram mounts, tablet, Inreach, gopro...etc.

Reactions: k_dipietro

RangeTheTrail

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
peter
Last Name
dobrzanski
Member #

This doesn't help you if you don't have a JK/U, but it is a great piece of kit if you do. The cockpit of the Wrangler is notoriously lacking is places to mount your electronics. This is a great solution if you are a fan of the ram mounts.

No relationship with the company at all, other than satisfied customer.

JKE-Dock 2011-2018 Full Width

Ok - that's cool. i haven't seen that option of the RAM mount on the e-dock like that before! HOW'D YOU DO THAT!? did you just drill the tube for a ball and have a nut on the other side?