Overland on a budget? Is it possible?

• HTML tutorial

Tim N Michele Davis

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hartselle Al
Member #

Yep just use what you got, get more stuff if you need it as you can. You will be surprised what you can get off of craigslist and facebook marketplace.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Over the years I would hate to say how many times I wheeled back into somewhere remote only to find some burned out long hair hippy freak at the end of the trail in an old rusty Datsun B210 enjoying himself. Run what you have. The most important thing is to get out and do it. Heck I covered half the state of Colorado in a 67 mustang, either sleeping in the drivers seat or in a tent. it is nice to have a vehicle you put together yourself but until then, just go.

Skullman

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sturgis Michigan
Member #

Jones, everything in life is done according to a budget regardless of the size. As many have already said just get going. You will be able to build your arsenal of gear as you gain experience. As you move along you will find what you’re lacking and can pick it up as you move along your adventures. As questions arise ask those around you for advice. Enjoy. Steve

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

I'll add my 2 cents. First off I'm cheap, but like nice things. I would rather have fewer good things than a bunch of stuff. We have a Rubicon that will go everywhere we need to go. Still total stock other than tires. I sure a 4 Runner would do the same for you.

We camped with the kids with a popup camper and took tons of stuff with us. Once the kids got bigger we started to camp 2up off my motorcycle. We learned how little stuff you need to take when you don't have much room. That carried over to when we camped out of the Jeep. We spent more on sleeping pads and bag than anything else. Well worth it. We are building an offload teardrop now for our next phase of camping.

What I learned is don't drink the Overland Kool-aid. It is easy to get caught up in the overland hype. Stay away from the overland Youtube channels and Instagram people. You don't need all that stuff. Also remember stuff like Overland Expo has one purpose, to take money from you in exchange for giving you the opportunity to spend more money with their vendors, that they charge money to be there. Thats not to say it's a bad thing, some people really like that. We had fun when we went for one day. But I the money to go for the four days would pay for a two week camping trip for us.

You live in a great place to overland (I still call it camping). A hour or 2 drive will put you in great places to camp. We haven't been SE of you yet but I hear there are great places to explore there. A long weekend you can be in the deserts of CA, all of AZ, UT, the best parts of CO, NM.

Have fun and spend your money on gas and new tires when you need them.

Todd