Enthusiast I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Emily
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Just starting to learn about overland-ing? (is that even a word) lol

Researching vehicles now and trying to pick up a used 4Runner.

Middle aged, solid career but stagnant income and I don't expect any surprise inheritances so my question is...can you do this affordably?

I know it's hard to quantify, but I would need to save up for upgrades like, winches, extra tires, racks, etc.

Anyone else out there doing it on a budget?

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

What are you driving now? Where do you plan to go, and what sort of exploring do you want to do? More than likely, whatever you drive now would work. Several of our members have Subarus, Volvo wagons, Kia Soul, 2WD vans, etc. I personally have explored hundreds of miles of dirt road in NE Tennessee in an old 2WD FIAT station wagon with nylon street tires.

I'd guess that a large majority of us do not have a winch. Most probably have whatever rack (or lack therof) came on their vehicle. Our motto here is "It doesn't matter what you drive" but it does matter where you drive, and that your vehicle is equipped for those destinations.

Fire roads, forest service roads, most dirt roads, etc., can be driven in the family sedan.

Here are a list of threads with "budget" in the title that may be helpful:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/search/3053536/?q=budget&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Rebel_Girl

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Emily
Last Name
Jones
Member #

What are you driving now? Where do you plan to go, and what sort of exploring do you want to do? More than likely, whatever you drive now would work. Several of our members have Subarus, Volvo wagons, Kia Soul, 2WD vans, etc. I personally have explored hundreds of miles of dirt road in NE Tennessee in an old 2WD FIAT station wagon with nylon street tires.

I'd guess that a large majority of us do not have a winch. Most probably have whatever rack (or lack therof) came on their vehicle. Our motto here is "It doesn't matter what you drive" but it does matter where you drive, and that your vehicle is equipped for those destinations.

Fire roads, forest service roads, most dirt roads, etc., can be driven in the family sedan.

Here are a list of threads with "budget" in the title that may be helpful:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/search/3053536/?q=budget&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Thanks for the info. I don't intend to do any roads that are too aggressive....at least for now. My Dodge Ram 1500 4 x 2 would handle some of it but she's gettin old and I'd like to get a new to me, used 4Runner 4 x 4.

I guess once I learn my home state and what the roads are like this will be an easier question to answer.

Lepik

Rank II

Advocate II

Colorado
This is the true essence of Overland. Using your vehicle to get you to places and enjoying the trip. I think it is easy to get caught up in more gear, more mods, and the what’s next mentality... as others have said most vehicles can get you to some amazing places. Make sure your vehicle is up on all maintenance, have some good tires, pack some camping gear and go explore! You will be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Rebel_Girl

36degreesNorth

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Knoxville, TN, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sabens
like a few others have said grab some basic gear and get out for a night. then go out for 2 nights ect add gear when you need it. If you need to replace your ram as a DD it make since to look into something more suited to the types of adventures you plan on taking. Just keep the vehicle mods simple as often what is good for off road travel and overlanding takes away from the daily driver ability

DawgRaider

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kennewick Washington
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Morton
Member #

Like others have said its the adventure the rest will come as it can. I have a winch and I use it very little. Good vehicle condition and good tires are the key in my opinion. I can renember growing up and going with my folks every weekend somewhere and for a good many years we had single cab 2wd 78 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup. Heck we didnt even know we were Overlanding. I think if you can afford to get a 4 Runner it would be a great start, but having fun is the most important !!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
What I learned from Michael on the podcast, is drive what you got and get out there...While doing that determine what your OB goals are going to be, example, I want to do dirt roads, easy trails, well maybe what your driving will work, maybe you decide gonna do moderate trails so a 4x4/lifted rig might be needed, or whatever, when "sure" I would say the worst thing you could do is go drop a ton on a rig or get in debt up to your eyes, because as "sure" as we get, once we "do" we might change or modify our being "sure"....

Take your time, ask a ton of questions, save and go slow. We was all a beginner just starting out at one time so we all should be ready to help in any way we can.

Just my thoughts

Jim
PS am up in Bullhead City just outside Kingman if you want to hit a trail sometime or if I can help, LMK.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
You can do a lot with not a lot of rig. For gear, really learn how to use a hi lift jack. You can do lots with a one, like drag a 1980 Isuzu back to a trail up a 15 foot drop...

Sent from my SM-J327T using OB Talk mobile app

Eabmoto

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle
I believe the title “overlanding” typically includes two hobbies. Using your vehicle for adventure and exploring AND building a 4x4 then testing its capabilities off road... while exploring. Ones exploration my require a 4x4. Others get by without it. I think the answer to “what do I need for overlanding” has one answer... a vehicle. The rest can only be up to you.

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
Yes, you can, and I am gonna do it, when I retire. So, 57 yrs old (by then) and a fixed retirement income. I'll go where a tank of gas will take me and then wait till the next deposit hits. In a Land Rover, that tank won't get me very far! LOL!

Reactions: Jim SoG

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Yes, you can, and I am gonna do it, when I retire. So, 57 yrs old (by then) and a fixed retirement income. I'll go where a tank of gas will take me and then wait till the next deposit hits. In a Land Rover, that tank won't get me very far! LOL!
LOL! By the time I'm at retirement age, I would genuinely be surprised if there wasn't already an offroad-capable hybrid (if not full electric) overlanding rig in production. Even then it wouldn't be the budget route to go.

Rebel_Girl

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Emily
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I'm about to turn 51 and I feel like an old fart. Love the idea of getting out there on a tank of gas...I just want to explore.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I think a used 4-runner would make a great rig to start with. For me I'm using a 91 Xj it will probably be the rig we use for all off road adventures but not for anything else. Always keeping it well maintain and ready adventure. Any vehicle will do but as you explore I feel having a 4x4 with a transfer case will grow with you.

Even though the O.B. enphasizes not discrimanating brands (which for the purpose of overlanding itself) I would still feel if you get a toyota or a jeep or what ever, I would find some that has the same vehicle brand as you to run with (locally) (Also sites). Mainly so that you can learn more about how to work on and modify you vehicle to suite your needs from others who have already learned from thier mistakes and successes.

I belong to a local club that runs trails in the same way as O.B. none vehicle spesific. it is rather large base of guys and gals. So many differant types of vehicles, it's great. But when I need to test a new mod I usually call on other xj owners as we would have parts and knowledge to tweak things so that I'm ready for a true overland style adventure.

Tank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rancho Santa Margarita
Member #

My first “overland” trip I can remember was up to Lindy Lake in 1955. I was 5. Our “rig” was a 1950 ford station wagon pulling a “adventure trailer” , otherwise known as a teardrop trailer my dad rented in Bishop. I guess my point is that a lot has changed, but a lot stays the same.
A good used 4x4 4Runner is a great platform to start. Lucky for you, the aftermarket items for them has exploded since I had mine. My son, @donuteater, took it over for a few years and is now building a 100 series Landcruiser on a budget.... Yes it can be done!

Reactions: JDGreens

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

There are a few very capable (for what they are) 4WD/AWD vehicles that can do a lot more than most people think, and are quite affordable to boot.

I definitely know what you mean about the budget - mine is tight as all get out. Sole breadwinner, 4 kids, one on the way, most expensive place to live in all of Canada.

If you're interested in some very capable (for what they are, of course, not compared to a Wrangler Rubicon or Land Cruiser) and very cheap 4wd/awd vehicles, the Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav-4 (earlier gens on both, preferably) Honda Element and Subaru wagons like the Outback and Forester all do quite well off road if driven carefully and with respect for their limitations. The Geo/Chevy/Suzuki/etc. Sidekick/Tracker is a true 4wd with a transfer case, selectable low range, etc. that can be had for quite cheap in some places.

I paid $1800 for my 99 CR-V on Craigslist and slapped some General Grabber AT2's on it. It's never let me down - got me to some places I really didn't think it would go. I absolutely love it.

As others have said, the big thing is getting out there and exploring. Time spent in the wilderness is never wasted! :D

Reactions: Logan Johnson

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My first exploring rig was a 2wd Datsun PU I bought when I was 17. Threw gear in the back and went out exploring. Learned the street tires didn't hold up too well and replaced them. Eventually bought a 4wd Toyota and went more places.
Run what ya brung.

Scott

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Just starting to learn about overland-ing? (is that even a word) lol

Researching vehicles now and trying to pick up a used 4Runner.

Middle aged, solid career but stagnant income and I don't expect any surprise inheritances so my question is...can you do this affordably?

I know it's hard to quantify, but I would need to save up for upgrades like, winches, extra tires, racks, etc.

Anyone else out there doing it on a budget?
Yes it can be done - back in the day it was called camping..