Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
So I been fumbling around for quite a long time on what to do with my spare oil and my coolant jug while not taking up any massive space and still being portable and easily accessible. Being a family of 5 traveling in a JKU personal and storage real estate is as prime as a South Beach Penthouse condo. Given these are usually essentials needed for any breakdown the age old question where do you store these odd shaped and sized items still stands. For as far back as I can remember we've probably all been wrapping them up in a Walmart or grocery bag tossing them into any cranny or crevice of the rig we can think of to keep them out of the way. Looking at some of the gear from Blue Ridge Overland Gear I came across their Overland Oil Bag which appeared to be actually a great design and concept. Being a fan and supporter of the made in the USA brand and gear who not only have loads of great reviews but have also never done me dirty. Like all of the gear I have bought overtime from BROG the construction was pretty solid and well stitched. The bag is actually made out on the outside 500D Nylon Cordura, which In human terms which is super durable & easy to clean. The inside is lined with a polyester truck tarp material which makes it sooo easy to wash in the event a bottle's contents don't want to keep in their place. The front is laced with paracord and actually a great spot to put a set of gloves even a flashlight or anything else that you want to fit inside and the lid latches with two adjustable buckles. IMG_1642.jpeg
In this case for this test run of the bag I used what I normally carry in the rig but was missing a quart of oil I always have on hand. Since we didn't have the quart of oil I tried the setup with the fire extinguisher I keep In the garage as the substitute. I typically carry a gallon of Mopar pink stuff antifreeze concentrate which when mixed will yield 2 full gallons of mixed coolant and thats important when the rig is finicky to what keeps her cool. I run Royal Purple high performance lubes and oils in the jeep, yes I know it is a pain in the ass and I agree its not easy to source when your in the boondocks. The performance products I use specifically in the jeep aren't all typically carried at the chain parts retailers. I run the HPS motor oil which is their top tier synthetic oil, the ones from Walmart and Advance auto parts are the equivalent of a synthetic motor oil and not the same as the HPS. Max ATF & the MaxGear are usually easy to come across at Wally World or Advanced but the Snchromax for my 6Spd is never in stock anywhere you'll come across other than a rod shop, 4x4 shop or a custom shop. There are also a couple other here's and there's that we all carry like funnels that will eventually make its way to the bag as well given all the left over space there still is. The extinguisher is what actually surprised me the most being larger than the one I normally have equipped in the rig and to our surprise fit like it was designed to sit inside the BROG Overland Oil Bag! The tops of the gear lube are the perfect height too.
IMG_1639.jpeg
What really caught me by surprise was how much space this bag actually had even after filling her with all of the contents there was room, and not room to cram I mean room to still close the bag neatly and cleanly. The larger fire extinguisher seemed like it belonged in its corner and even with all that gear and the missing quart of motor oil there was enough room to bring that quart to the party and keep this extinguisher as an auxiliary or even the primary since its a larger one. Now the main concern I had after putting all this gear that once floated around the floors and crevices of the jeep was will this bag close right and still be that ergonomic solution I was looking for? Well Indeed she was every bit of my compartmentalized also easily manageable solution for our setup. The front buckles are adjustable so even when she's filled to the gills she'll still close on you. When I folded the lid closed for that first time and actually sat back and saw what worried me 90% of the time was going to get stepped on and spilled finally had a permanent portable home in the rig! We had finally overcome that hurdle of rolling bottles and swishy sounds of grocery store bags when they moved. Even the extinguisher fit perfectly with just the nozzle sticking ever so slightly it doesn't even visually affect the design or the portability of the bag. Ohh and did I mention its ready for you to add a custom label to the bag like "Fluids" or "Oily Shit" or really just about anything cause lets be real you don't have to use it as an oil bag. I didn't get any labels even though BROG makes some great quality ones but hopefully I'll get some deals at one of the events we'll go to this year if I pick up a few of them at one time.
IMG_1640.jpeg
All in all I have to admit the guys at Blue Ridge Overland Gear make some good stuff and practical stuff at that. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has been fumbling around with the idea of where and what to do with the lubes or coolant jugs we all cary in the rigs. The cost which I know is 50-90% a factor to the way some buying decisions are made wasn't too bad at all considering it was only $65 bucks. I picked up a couple other items which hooked me up with the free shipping offer they had going on their site Blueridgeoverlandgear.com and also got a free winter patch for their winter collection as part of another offer they had going. After having acquired a few pieces of gear previously at Expo East and even through their site prior I am definitely happy with this purchase again from them. It's got lifetime warranty so Im pretty confident even if I beat the crap out of the bag the guys and gals at BROG stand behind their product so if she does break I know my better half won't have an opportunity to say It was a waste. To be honest this thing is so well put together you could use it to pick up fire wood or just about anything else while your at camp and still rinse it out just before loading back up some of the oils if you've been stationary at one place for some days. I'm pretty excited to put her through the wringer in the upcoming season and on all of our adventures. If your thinking about buying their gear, They have a pretty sweet rewards system that you can use to get discounts on their gear which is what I always do. You can gain points for simple stuff like emailing your wife the wishlist you want. I hope this gear review will help one of my fellow OB Fam. Thank you for reading and please like and comment your thoughts.
IMG_1641.jpeg

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Good idea... I just stash my fluids under the hood... but then again I have enough room under the hood for two extra import engines lol.

• Haha
Reactions: SinisterJK

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Good idea... I just stash my fluids under the hood... but then again I have enough room under the hood for two extra import engines lol.
I bet you got a lot of room under that hood! I had an 89 F350 that had so much room under the hood! they sure don't make the like that anymore.

Ray Hyland

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Man that's a nice solution. I drive old Land Rovers, so I need to carry roughly my bodyweight in fluids on a long trip, and the Brits were never known for clever storage options (they didn't even come with cupholders till the mid 90s).

I will need to pick one of these up.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Having skid plates over oil pans i havent really had to worry of carrying extra fluids other than diesel exhaust fluid. However ive had the thought about it. Id probably cap off some pvc pipes and fill them then zip tie the crap out of em to my frame rails near the rear to get em out of sight and out of the way for other gear.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Man that's a nice solution. I drive old Land Rovers, so I need to carry roughly my bodyweight in fluids on a long trip, and the Brits were never known for clever storage options (they didn't even come with cupholders till the mid 90s).

I will need to pick one of these up.
Yeah definitely very true on that. The older Landy's are amazing but they are like that old ford that needs to get a splash daily lol. It's honestly a great bag I'm supper happy that I don't have them rolling around anymore. No one in our family ever thought what happens when we step on the bottle of gear oil and now the rug is toast. And lets be real gear oil new or used is not the nicest smelling fluid around. It's kinda funny how technology evolved with something so simple as creature comforts in a cup holder.

Last edited:

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Having skid plates over oil pans i havent really had to worry of carrying extra fluids other than diesel exhaust fluid. However ive had the thought about it. Id probably cap off some pvc pipes and fill them then zip tie the crap out of em to my frame rails near the rear to get em out of sight and out of the way for other gear.
On our rig we have full skid plates from end to end just about but for us we worried more of hey if something happens out there remotely what do we do. We always want to have spare fluids to just limp us to safety or to where we can mitigate whatever has occurred in an easier fashion than on the trail. We have explored a ton of different options before I found this one although I can't say I ever thought of putting them to the rails in PVC. The idea is actually interesting but we do a fare share of wheeling so the real estate under the jeep and the skid plates is kinda limited and may get some serious abuse down there. We have a fresh water tank on the side where our EVAP canister used to sit as we have relocated to give us clearance and also to accommodate the fresh water tank. Do you think a piece of PVC could take a it on the trail or handle radiant temps of the exhaust? Not saying its a bad idea at all because to be honest the idea sounds practical for a different type of rig like maybe a full-sized rig.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

On our rig we have full skid plates from end to end just about but for us we worried more of hey if something happens out there remotely what do we do. We always want to have spare fluids to just limp us to safety or to where we can mitigate whatever has occurred in an easier fashion than on the trail. We have explored a ton of different options before I found this one although I can't say I ever thought of putting them to the rails in PVC. The idea is actually interesting but we do a fare share of wheeling so the real estate under the jeep and the skid plates is kinda limited and may get some serious abuse down there. We have a fresh water tank on the side where our EVAP canister used to sit as we have relocated to give us clearance and also to accommodate the fresh water tank. Do you think a piece of PVC could take a it on the trail or handle radiant temps of the exhaust? Not saying its a bad idea at all because to be honest the idea sounds practical for a different type of rig like maybe a full-sized rig.
I think schedule 40 would hold up especially the short lengths you would use for a quart of oil , i wouldnt put any oil on the exhaust side in any material. Ill bet you could even attach it behind bumpers, to a roll cage via fire extinguisher mount and many other places. You can even heat pvc and mold it into an area.
This has nothing to do with pvc pipe but in the racing industry its not uncommon to store fluids in roll cage bars ive even seen folks cheat and hide nitrous in the roll cage.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Honestly id be worried as to how you plan on fixing the hole the liquid leaked from before putting more fluid in otherwise your back where you started a big hole in a pan or radiator and no spare fluid. At which point youd better have some minimum of 1 gauge wire, arc welding rods and a few spare batteries and hope the broken part isnt made of aluminum.

Ray Hyland

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I see this more as a solution for those of us who just have trucks that leak oil regularly from every orifice, and for old Land Rovers, they came like that from the factory. :-)

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Given these are usually essentials needed for any breakdown the age old question where do you store these odd shaped and sized items still stands
Thats an impressive package but in 40 years I've never needed any fluids on the road. Top everything before departure, maintain everything always, get your service work done at a professional shop, and if you need anything on the road..... buy it at the next service center..... and get the problem fixed. If your destination is Africa or South America yes, carry backup fluids but in North America, just carry this.
1200px-Visa.svg.png

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Honestly id be worried as to how you plan on fixing the hole the liquid leaked from before putting more fluid in otherwise your back where you started a big hole in a pan or radiator and no spare fluid. At which point youd better have some minimum of 1 gauge wire, arc welding rods and a few spare batteries and hope the broken part isnt made of aluminum.
Yeah on that part I agree with you if its a hole that big your SOL at that moment.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I see this more as a solution for those of us who just have trucks that leak oil regularly from every orifice, and for old Land Rovers, they came like that from the factory. :-)
Yeah from the other side of the coin your right about that. The JK isn't leaky but the few times we have encountered some minor snags we've always been prepared for an eventuality.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thats an impressive package but in 40 years I've never needed any fluids on the road. Top everything before departure, maintain everything always, get your service work done at a professional shop, and if you need anything on the road..... buy it at the next service center..... and get the problem fixed. If your destination is Africa or South America yes, carry backup fluids but in North America, just carry this.
View attachment 139486
See for us we do all of our own work on our vehicles. We have a shop here in Orlando with a lift and all the equipment we need to service and maintain all of our vehicles here. On the road we can do the same work and even PM services if we have to as long as were courteous about where were doing these and making sure we clean up after ourselves. You are right we can probably acquire fluids at any service station along the routes even in North America, but the down side to when you use a specific type of fluid your left to carry it some how some way. The coolant I have to always have when were off road because the jeep is finicky when she goes through mud. Thick mud usually clogs the cooling fins of the radiator and even when we hose her down unless we let it dry and blow it with compressed air shell still keep running hot and usually when she gets hot that you shut her down its already lost coolant to evaporation in the system. But you are right on one part luckily we have never had to really go through much if any of our fluids on a trip. We've had a couple snags here and there but luckily nothing we couldn't figure out on the road with the gear we already carry.

Reactions: Scout