Overland Journal

• HTML tutorial

DesertFox

Rank III

Advocate II

California
Member #

Just wondering how many here subscribe to the Overland Journal?

I really enjoy the writing and the equipment reviews.

The article on the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in southern Africa in the current issue is the type of story that makes me say to myself, as I sit here in the humdrum chilly spring, "that's what I want to do!"

Sent from my HTC U11 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Road

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I thought it would be good. My wife gave me a subscription one year as a gift. Unfortunately, only one issue in my subscription year made it to me in Germany. So I don’t know if it’s good.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

DBs

Rank 0

Traveler I

I thought it would be good. My wife gave me a subscription one year as a gift. Unfortunately, only one issue in my subscription year made it to me in Germany. So I don’t know if it’s good.

Did you send email to their customer service?
When I had a problem with missing or damaged issues, they sent new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: NotGumby

uss

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Odessa TX
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Ockert
Member #

Send them a note if you do not get your copy.
I have met the editor, Chris Collard a few times.
Great guy.

We will have to try and get him over here.

I get it to check out the articles.

Todd

DesertFox

Rank III

Advocate II

California
Member #

Another thing that I like about it is that it's issued five times a year. Some mags I subscribe to are monthly and I always fall behind. OJ comes once in a while and I'm always glad to see it.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Did you send email to their customer service?
When I had a problem with missing or damaged issues, they sent new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, but got no love. I suspect some postal clerk on one side of the pond or the other got to enjoy them.

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

I subscribed for a couple of years and still pick it up at the bookstore if there is an article that interests me, I pick it up. Personally, I found the magazine expensive and lacked the amount of articles that made it worth it for me. Too many articles on motorcycle overlanding and international - both of which interests me but things that I don't do.

I enjoy these magazines right now.....the first is a great mix of rigs, gear and travel - the second just pretty great.....

https://www.treadmagazine.com/

https://outdoorx4.com/

Reactions: NotGumby

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
I read it, enjoy it. The quality of the publication can't be disputed -- great writing, superb photography. The gear reviews are usually pretty informative. My biggest complaints are the focus on motorcycles and foreign travel. I'd like to see more emphasis on North America. While we all dream of an African or South American expedition, most of us will never do that. So some really inspiring articles on something with in our reach might be a nice change.

Reactions: NetDep

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Just wondering how many here subscribe to the Overland Journal?

I really enjoy the writing and the equipment reviews.

The article on the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in southern Africa in the current issue is the type of story that makes me say to myself, as I sit here in the humdrum chilly spring, "that's what I want to do!"

I suspect there are more here that read it, @DesertFox, than have seen and replied to your post. I love it, personally. Quality magazine, well-written articles, great photography.

Also true is that a lot of people here are relatively new to back-country travel and camping off-road, so are just finding their way around in the world of overland travel and its rich, wonderful, history.

For those who have found their way to this thread, here's info on Overland Journal's spring 2018 issue and here's info on past issues. It's also available at a lot of bookstore newstands and by subscription at a sizable savings.

Road

DesertFox

Rank III

Advocate II

California
Member #

I agree that there should be more focus on North America. Given how sparsely populated Canada is, you would think that it's ripe for numerous articles, Alaska too.

I think it's a bit more difficult in the lower 48...320+ million people means it's hard to get away from it all for very long.

Reactions: AZ WANDERING BEAR

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Overland Journal is the "National Geographic" of overland adventure/camping magazines.

I beg to differ about not enough coverage of North American. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since I subscribed nearly 4 years ago I have noticed that they always have at least one story that is located in North America out of 3 or maybe 4 travel stories. That would be as much as 1/3 or as little as 1/4 of the space that they dedicate to world wide travel. I'll go out on a limb and proclaim that here in North America, we have a whole lot less than 1/4 of the two tracks in the world. There has been in fact, although in my humble opinion not enough, a handful of stories about traversing Canada. One that sticks out in my mind is a trip from Newfoundland, on over to the Hudson Bay, then south to pick up the trans-canada.

I find the OJ to be inspirational, educational, and entertaining. Will I ever overland on one of the other 6 continents? I hope to, at least one of em.