nateh

Rank III

Advocate I

Pocatello, ID
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
Curious if anyone would be interested in a group buy for some kind of larger items from a place like Alibaba? I'm looking on there and things like roof-top tents are quite inexpensive but often have MOQ of 10 or more. I understand that people may be averse to buying something like a RTT, sight unseen, but smaller items might be great. I think that it could be a good way to get cheaper products. I've seen other enthusiast groups (unrelated to overlanding/off-roading) do something similar. Thoughts?

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
I sold some of these back in 2012 I purchased 10 tents from a supplier on Alibaba they even put my companies custom logo on it, I can help get a deal done with my old supplier I purchased a mixture of hard shell and fabric ones, I kept a fabric one for myself it was well made the only issue I had I didn't like the ladder to much. As you stated hard to buy site unseen is hard then you also had it is from China item which I get but a stated in many other posts its surprising home many of these are actually made there. Unfortunately, I was ahead of my time for the new Overlanding craze

Attachments

nateh

Rank III

Advocate I

Pocatello, ID
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
I sold some of these back in 2012 I purchased 10 tents from a supplier on Alibaba they even put my companies custom logo on it, I can help get a deal done with my old supplier I purchased a mixture of hard shell and fabric ones, I kept a fabric one for myself it was well made the only issue I had I didn't like the ladder to much. As you stated hard to buy site unseen is hard then you also had it is from China item which I get but a stated in many other posts its surprising home many of these are actually made there. Unfortunately, I was ahead of my time for the new Overlanding craze
Great to hear this has been done before. Did you do this with locals so you didn't have to worry about shipping after you received all of them?

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
I hired a broker , they took care of all the iteMs once they arrived I had to pay duty fees too

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

My last experinece with alibaba wasnt so great. depending what your gonna offer will sway my choice but i wouldnt be up for large items sight unseen.