Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I'm a recently certified "woofer" WFR (Wilderness First Responder). I've taken a couple "woofa" WFA (Wilderness First Aid) classes and each time they have left me wanting more training. Everyone should at least take the WFA course. It's 16 hours (2 days) long and covers the basics of what you need to know for a variety of illnesses and injuries, including the patient assessment and writing the SOAP note.

The WFR course is a big jump in terms of cost and time, but it's well worth it. Over the course of 80 hours, you'll have a lot more scenarios to practice your skills, and it includes a one day CPR Pro class. Both the CPR and WFR component require you to pass a written test. The WFR also includes a practical skills test to must pass. The entire class culminates in a long term care scenario. Mine was at night and very intense. You forget that you're in a scenario after about 10 minutes and you put everything to the test.

My classes were all taught by Bobbie Foster, of FosterCalm. She's a great teacher and has been doing this for over 20 years. By the time I need to re-cert my WFR, she will be retired so I'm planning to volunteer for her classes when I can to stay fresh. I asked how many students she expects in her final class. She said she might have to do a lottery system because so many people will want to take it.

The typical WFR class is a 10 day intensive, with maybe a one day break. Bobbie offers (once a year) a WFR class spread out over 5 weekends (Sat & Sun). This makes it easier if you can't take that much time off from work during the week. She's based out of the Stockton area. Check out her calendar and find a class that works for you. You won't regret it!

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I carry an Adventure Medical Kits Guide 1 med kit in the Rover. I have a reflective first aid sticker on the body of the truck, and the first aid kit is behind it, clipped to the dog guard so it's easily accessible. I've really only had to use it once. That was this past summer in Pismo when a kid (whose name was also Brenton!) flipped over the front end of an atv rental. He gashed his legs pretty badly on the foot pegs.

I've used the "boo boo" kit in the center console much more often. It includes things like; Band-aids, Neosporin, Advil, Tylenol, Pepto pills, sunscreen, lip balm and aloe vera lotion. I seem to use at least one of those items on just about every trip I go on.