Overland Gear--First Aid/Feild Repair

• HTML tutorial

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Don't know how much traffic it would get but what about a sub topic under the "Overland Gear" for a first aid or field repair discussions? An area to discuss first aid kits, classes, what people have encountered, etc. Same with field repairs, what types of repairs, breaks, equipment failures, etc, people have experienced on the trails. Just an idea so people can further spread information regarding various topics of overlanding but keeping it in a specialized forum so people do not have to sift through others to find it.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Not sure we can either. But I do support this. As a former EMT I believe people should have easy access to this information

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I think this is a great idea.
I concur, been looking at doing a wilderness first aid course and would like to gauge peoples opinions. Would also like to see first aid kits and what not.

Need some good recommendations on pet first aid courses to!

Last edited:

NOMAD89

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

kissimmee Fl
Member #

Nothing beats a good in person of course on first aid for us and our furry friends. But it would be nice to have a good thread with lots of recommendations of products and training facilities as well as Quick fix first aid tips.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

NOMAD89

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

kissimmee Fl
Member #

I concur, been looking at doing a wilderness first aid course and would like to gauge peoples opinions. Would also like to see first aid kits and what not.

AG you have been on here for a while is there anyway we can start this up?

NOMAD89

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

kissimmee Fl
Member #

Good recommendation for pet first aid check out RayAllen.com got some pet first aide packs on their website with instructions on how to use equipment

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

This is a great idea.

I was considering how to improve my First Aid skills and Pet First Aid Skills, so this forum would be ideal.

I was considering approaching the Red Cross to ask.
Maybe they have open courses to attend, and may be willing to allow some of the material to be published within our OB Forum (with links back to Red Cross)

Would also be good to know what the Law requires concerning First Aid kits.
Each country has its own Laws.
In Europe, there is a "general EU (European Union) standard", but still there are variations on the theme, depending on local region / country.
Not sure what the Laws are in USA and specific States.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Would also be good to know what the Law requires concerning First Aid kits.
Each country has its own Laws.
In Europe, there is a "general EU (European Union) standard", but still there are variations on the theme, depending on local region / country.
Not sure what the Laws are in USA and specific States.
This for sure. It was mandatory for me to carry certain things in my vehicle when I lived in Germany. Be cool to have a little list that states what items are mandatory for one to carry in their vehicle per country.

Seems like the attention to this thread has been positive. I will try and figure out how we go about making traction on this.

Reactions: Neil Q Smith

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

This for sure. It was mandatory for me to carry certain things in my vehicle when I lived in Germany. Be cool to have a little list that states what items are mandatory for one to carry in their vehicle per country.

Seems like the attention to this thread has been positive. I will try and figure out how we go about making traction on this.
Thanks in advance for compiling the list of mandatory equipment.
Once complete, this list will be an extremely valuable resource.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Thanks in advance for compiling the list of mandatory equipment.
Once complete, this list will be an extremely valuable resource.
I ment something along the lines of gaining traction for a subsection. I think the list could be a sticky that would be posted at the tops of the subsection

Reactions: NOMAD89

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I ment something along the lines of gaining traction for a subsection. I think the list could be a sticky that would be posted at the tops of the subsection
Sorry for misunderstanding :)

I think this idea is great.

I will look into the Scandinavian / European requirements, and post results later.

Warhorse

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Dallas Oregon
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Gaither
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7SBN
Being a former EMT and also a combat field medic for a spell, I always pack a first aid kit. My wife is a paramedic. Her and I have built our own traveling kit we take on trips. It's big, but it's worth it's weight in gold if needed. Something I can suggest. Before heading out in a group, identify who has medical training, they get to be your groups medic. Identify where people's kits are kept, in case they need help and can't tell you where it is. Who has the best comms for calling for assistance? Closest hospital? Closest potential landing zone for a helicopter? Sounds crazy.....until you need it. Be safe.

TnWalrus

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Memphis, TN
Member #

I've been in EMS for almost 30 years now, the last 20 as a Paramedic. I've carried some extensive first aid kits, but recently I have been paring mine down a little. One thing I stress for people to carry is simple things. Moleskin for blisters. Ibuprofen and Aspirin. Lots of bandaids. Sure you should carry something to stop major bleeding, but the reality is you will probably need more bandaids than tourniquets. The two most important things are having some good first aid training, and having a way to shout for help in the back country. Having a bomber first aid kit does you zero good if you don't know how to use it. Wilderness First Responder is a fantastic class and it will teach you how to improvise first aid with what you have on hand. When it comes to calling for help, lots of folks carry Spot or the Inreach units, but they require a hefty subscription on top of the device. I have been carrying a Personal Locator Beacon. A PLB is the same device as an ELT in an aircraft or an EPIRB on a lifeboat, except this one you carry in your pocket. You pay one price (around $250) one time, and you have to register it with NOAA so they know who to contact if it goes off. When you do fire it off, it doesn't go through a private satellite system like Spot etc. It goes through the world wide COPASS-SARSAT system that is dedicated for search and rescue world wide. The transmitter also transmits a signal on 121.5 Mhz that aircraft can use to direction find your location. The only recurring cost is the battery replacement and testing every 5 years. It doesn't do text messages, or send out a tracking signal so your fiends can follow on the internet. It is a single purpose rescue device that will get you help on any continent or any ocean in the world. That's my 2 cents. I would be more than willing to answer questions on the forums, but there is no substitute for taking a solid wilderness first aid course of some kind.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I also concur. This is one question I always ask campers... what should you take for first aid and how will a kit differ based on the area you travel through? ...for instance, are snake bite kits needed. Hoping that a thread is started.