Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
I'm planning on running the Rim2Rim2Rim in early May (dates slightly weather dependent, but targeting May 3rd for the actual run). This is not my first time doing a big trip like this, BUT I am going to try to rely less on State Park campgrounds and so I am looking for some input from people.

Here's a rough itinerary:
Night 1: Eastern TN, somewhere in the Cherokee NF. I've been to the more southern parts near the Cherohala Skyway, but I'd probably want to stay as close to I-40 as possible.
Night 2: Ouachita NF, prob as close to Hot Springs as I can find.
Night 3: Seems like a whooooole bunch of nothing between Ouachita NF and Santa Fe NF. I suppose I will look for a campground near Amarillo, TX. Palo Duro Canyon State Park campsite maybe?
Night 4: somewhere in NM, either Carlson or Santa Fe NF. Suggestions def welcome. I would like to do some softroading with friends who have less capable trucks, so suggestions also welcome for that.
Night 5: Drive to Kaibab NF. I plan to camp here the entire time. I might spend 1-2 nights at the North Rim before or after, unsure.

I think I will try and work in one rest day in the trip. Maybe Palo Duro Canyon, but I'm open to suggestions. On the way home, maybe Ouachita NF.

Aside from questions in my rough itinerary, I am really looking for some intel on Kaibab NF. Since I've never been here, and staying somewhat near Bright Angel trail head is crucial for my trip, I want to know how feasible finding somewhere to camp will be in late April/early May. Looking at the Kaibab NF maps, it seems like there are tons of spots for motorized dispersed camping, but I have no idea what its like. Is it basically just a dirt road through the desert and you can put up a tent anywhere? So any information could be helpful. I'd like to avoid any campsites that are on technical routes (one person will be in a Subi and I'm not too sure how well I'll be driving after 12hrs of running). Also if you see any flaws (like areas that could be closed, etc) or have any suggestions, I would be happy to hear it!

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Sound like a great trip!
I stayed at Big Tesuque Campground a few years back. Lovely and quiet. A small paved parking lot, a few nice tent sites and a decent vault toilet. Check the website, I think it’s still free.
As for Kaibab NF, I’ve only camped at DeMotte Campground. If you can, make a reservation to ensure a spot. It’s a fairly short drive to the trailhead and a lovely campground. Potable water, vault toilets and you may spot the herd of bison who frequent that area. The North Rim Campground is larger and more crowded. I thought the sites were small and not very level, even for tents. Although you’d be closer to the trailhead and near the showers, I really enjoyed DeMotte. There’s a small general store with gas nearby, too. I recommend Point Imperial for sunset and star gazing.
If you can spare the time and the road conditions permit, go to Wire Pass trailhead and hike into Buckskin Gulch. I recommend approaching from the east (Page, AZ) rather than the west (North Rim GC); both roads are bumpy, but the west approach had an area of deep sand in 2020. Follow the trail into the main canyon and turn right for the best experience. Of course, avoid this hike if it’s raining - it’s a slot canyon!
As for locating camping along your route, here are a few useful apps:
Campendium
The Dyrt
iOverlander
FreeRoam
HipCamp
AllStays
Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions; I’m local to DC.

Reactions: nuclear_runner

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
Sound like a great trip!
I stayed at Big Tesuque Campground a few years back. Lovely and quiet. A small paved parking lot, a few nice tent sites and a decent vault toilet. Check the website, I think it’s still free.
As for Kaibab NF, I’ve only camped at DeMotte Campground. If you can, make a reservation to ensure a spot. It’s a fairly short drive to the trailhead and a lovely campground. Potable water, vault toilets and you may spot the herd of bison who frequent that area. The North Rim Campground is larger and more crowded. I thought the sites were small and not very level, even for tents. Although you’d be closer to the trailhead and near the showers, I really enjoyed DeMotte. There’s a small general store with gas nearby, too. I recommend Point Imperial for sunset and star gazing.
If you can spare the time and the road conditions permit, go to Wire Pass trailhead and hike into Buckskin Gulch. I recommend approaching from the east (Page, AZ) rather than the west (North Rim GC); both roads are bumpy, but the west approach had an area of deep sand in 2020. Follow the trail into the main canyon and turn right for the best experience. Of course, avoid this hike if it’s raining - it’s a slot canyon!
Campendium
The Dyrt
iOverlander
FreeRoam
HipCamp
AllStays
I'm trying to avoid anything with reservations, that's why I was trying to dispersed camp as much as possible. Palo Duro Canyon State Park seems super popular so I might have to book a few different dates and just cancel/eat it if the dates have to move due to weather.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I understand, but sometimes it’s really about location, location, location…some of the dispersed areas near DeMotte are along FR-611, FR-270 and FR-400. I haven’t used them, so can’t provide details. I will say that prime boondock sites have been packed the last two years. Some looked like RV lots!

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
I understand, but sometimes it’s really about location, location, location…some of the dispersed areas near DeMotte are along FR-611, FR-270 and FR-400. I haven’t used them, so can’t provide details. I will say that prime boondock sites have been packed the last two years. Some looked like RV lots!
This is definitely my concern. I guess I don't blame them because RV campgrounds are lifeless, soulsucking hellscapes, but they're definitely hard on campsites and tend to push the limits on length of stay. There are a few sites around here that I've found the RV to be practically a permanent fixture.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I agree about the overuse. Some of the national forests are testing a system that allows them to scan the camper’s license plate and paired with the location, determine if they’ve exceeded the maximum allowable number of days. This is primarily useful for dispersed or non-hosted sites.
I prefer campgrounds on public lands in certain situations:
- Staying there allows me to bypass purchasing timed entry tickets, especially for hard to get locations such as Bear Lake Corridor in RMNP or Glacier National Park.
- It shortens the drive to adventure or photography locations.
- It provides a safer home base for both me and my equipment. I tend to be gone all day, leaving my tent/trailer behind (I often stay 5-14 days in a single location). Also, being a solo female traveler presents personal safety challenges.
- Amenities such as potable water, flush toilets and regular showers are luxuries when you spend several months on the road.
Like most things in life, there are compromises to be made. Somehow my soul has remained intact (unless the devil offers me Reinhold Messner’s high altitude prowess…then I may trade!) and I get enough off the grid camping to keep me sane.
I hope you have an excellent journey and good weather. Love, love, love GCNP!

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
Sound like a great trip!
Campendium
The Dyrt
iOverlander
FreeRoam
HipCamp
AllStays
Interesting... seems like the DeMotte Campground doesn't open till May 15th. Maybe there is hope for it not being too crowded at the dispersed sites in early May. I may try and reach out to the USDA guys in Kaibab NF and see what they think.