Spirit Lake, Idaho, United States
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG7FW
With all the wildfires in the western US right now, I thought it might be a good idea to get a simple thread going to discuss the kinds of fire suppression gear you should / could carry in your rig when you're off-grid.

There are numerous laws and regulations that govern this topic and I'm sure they vary between states and regions so we have to make sure to know what they are for where we're going. Using that as a minimum, what else should / could we carry?

I live in Oregon and at a minimum we're required to carry a 2lb fire extinguisher and a shovel. I personally carry two fire extinguishers (one on the back roll bar in my Jeep and one next to the drivers seat). I also have a shovel and an axe inside the Jeep and I normally carry at least a couple gallons of water with me.

Are there any other items you carry that would be good to have? Have you had to use them to suppress a fire?

Thanks,
Aaron

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Same. Chainsaw depending on length of time and places I go. Cabin in NM I use my chainsaw nearly every time. The 9 mile trail to our cabin cuts across a large working cattle and sheep ranch but the trail is mine to maintain. An agreement with the woman who owns the property.

Shovel
Ax
2 2lb fire extinguishers
Chainsaw
2 gallon Rotopax on my spare tire
1-3 5 gallon water cubes depending on length of travel on roof rack.

Knowing my exits is crucial should something happen, especially deep in the woods. Pay attention to the skyline and wind direction always.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I carry 3 extinguishers, 2 under drivers seat. One in the back near the back, yard shovel, maul. Water is in the back but clearing a path twice as wide as the fire is high, is a better way to stop a fire.

Last edited:

OVRLNDER

US East Region Member Rep, NY
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

I always carry a shovel, Pulaski axe, 8 lb fire extinguisher with me. When I go camping I bring another small fire extinguisher and about 4+ gallons of water.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Fire/heat resistant gloves, like the one you use for starting BBQs, fireplace logs, etc. in addition to a shovel, axe, and pressurized water shower.

Aaron Lee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spirit Lake, Idaho, United States
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG7FW
Great ideas all!

I hadn't thought about the heat resistant gloves or a Pulaski.

A pressurized shower is a great idea too. It would allow you to direct / spray water where needed.

We're all wearing face covers these days but perhaps a real N95 or higher mask and some safety glasses would be good to keep on hand too. That would at least help prevent ash from being an issue if you actually have to suppress a fire.

I think about the YouTube video of Casey (Coyote Works) having to prevent a wild fire while watching his Jeep burn to the ground. The biggest thing I think he had was composure and clear thought. He didn't get overwhelmed but worked the problem and prevented a personal trajedy from becoming a major local disaster.

Thanks for the feedback!

Aaron

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
One in the rear cargo area and one down by my feet just below where the seat slide handle is.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
With all the wildfires in the western US right now, I thought it might be a good idea to get a simple thread going to discuss the kinds of fire suppression gear you should / could carry in your rig when you're off-grid.

There are numerous laws and regulations that govern this topic and I'm sure they vary between states and regions so we have to make sure to know what they are for where we're going. Using that as a minimum, what else should / could we carry?

I live in Oregon and at a minimum we're required to carry a 2lb fire extinguisher and a shovel. I personally carry two fire extinguishers (one on the back roll bar in my Jeep and one next to the drivers seat). I also have a shovel and an axe inside the Jeep and I normally carry at least a couple gallons of water with me.

Are there any other items you carry that would be good to have? Have you had to use them to suppress a fire?

Thanks,
Aaron
Isn’t this covered here

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
I kept this gear in my ranger, I am still working on making new mounting brackets and replacing warn out gear now that I have my tacoma, but my plans are for more of the same:

2: 2.5lb ABC fire extinguishers attached to the front seat mounting bracket bolts (I am also considering adding a second pair accessible in the back seat so up to 4 of us can hit the door with extinguisher in hand in an emergency (will depend on how often I have more than 1 passenger)

1: 5lb ABC fire extinguisher in the truck bed

Axe and Shovel in the bed

I am thinking of adding a pick mattock to the kit, and if I get my forge up and running, or I stumble across one being sold "gently used" I may add a mc leod rake to my collection

2: 2gal collapsible buckets (I used to use oilskin buckets, but plan to replace them with collapsible silicone) which I fill with water and hang next to the camp fire (a hold over from OLD scouting practices of making a hanger for the buckets lashing together a cross with a couple sticks, then lashing in additional brace sticks to build a hanger for the water buckets) regardless of if it was in a stone ring fire pit, or if it was a raised type fire pit.

plus typically 5 gallons more water than I NEED for the trip

fortunately conditions in the south east are not like they are out west... wildland fires on the scale of any one of the western fires are very rare here. but during the dry season, I also switch to strictly cooking with propane or other small highly contained camp stove (such as backpacking with a sterno stove for example) and stop even well contained fire pit burns well before the forestry folks start advising to do so.

and yes Mike Rose, there is your parallel thread, but it seems to me that thread went a different direction discussing the wildfires more than discussing what gear you are carrying mounted where as this thread has... ideally the two threads would have been under a single topic but they went two different directions, and did not really overlap information.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I kept this gear in my ranger, I am still working on making new mounting brackets and replacing warn out gear now that I have my tacoma, but my plans are for more of the same:

2: 2.5lb ABC fire extinguishers attached to the front seat mounting bracket bolts (I am also considering adding a second pair accessible in the back seat so up to 4 of us can hit the door with extinguisher in hand in an emergency (will depend on how often I have more than 1 passenger)

1: 5lb ABC fire extinguisher in the truck bed

Axe and Shovel in the bed

I am thinking of adding a pick mattock to the kit, and if I get my forge up and running, or I stumble across one being sold "gently used" I may add a mc leod rake to my collection

2: 2gal collapsible buckets (I used to use oilskin buckets, but plan to replace them with collapsible silicone) which I fill with water and hang next to the camp fire (a hold over from OLD scouting practices of making a hanger for the buckets lashing together a cross with a couple sticks, then lashing in additional brace sticks to build a hanger for the water buckets) regardless of if it was in a stone ring fire pit, or if it was a raised type fire pit.

plus typically 5 gallons more water than I NEED for the trip

fortunately conditions in the south east are not like they are out west... wildland fires on the scale of any one of the western fires are very rare here. but during the dry season, I also switch to strictly cooking with propane or other small highly contained camp stove (such as backpacking with a sterno stove for example) and stop even well contained fire pit burns well before the forestry folks start advising to do so.

and yes Mike Rose, there is your parallel thread, but it seems to me that thread went a different direction discussing the wildfires more than discussing what gear you are carrying mounted where as this thread has... ideally the two threads would have been under a single topic but they went two different directions, and did not really overlap information.
I was hoping my thread would have gone the way this thread did. But the purpose of my thread was for both information on what is needed to be carried as well as a list of updates regulations as well as closures.

Reactions: Desert Runner

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
I was hoping my thread would have gone the way this thread did. But the purpose of my thread was for both information on what is needed to be carried as well as a list of updates regulations as well as closures.
don't know about other folks... I am glad you cross linked to your thread... it has some good information in it

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
2 x 750mL extinguishers, heavy gloves, weather forecasting kit (window, weather app), and we ask for advice from police/fire service/roads authorities and avoid going anywhere where fires are potentially going to be a hazard.