Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
Did anyone attend the Mtn West Overland Expo in Colorado this weekend?

Was it just me or was it a cluster? Had a hard time finding vendors and labeling was far and few. Had to stop the staff (who were awesome) to get directions and they even admitted it was not setup right.
Asked the the ladies at the Expo Trailer, selling merchandise, and they stated basically stated that they just sell stuff and that wasn't their job...nice.

It was not fun.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Did anyone attend the Mtn West Overland Expo in Colorado this weekend?

Was it just me or was it a cluster? Had a hard time finding vendors and labeling was far and few. Had to stop the staff (who were awesome) to get directions and they even admitted it was not setup right.
Asked the the ladies at the Expo Trailer, selling merchandise, and they stated basically stated that they just sell stuff and that wasn't their job...nice.

It was not fun.
There were a lot of OB members there. Michael and Corrie were filming all weekend as well. There were also several Rally Points posted

Reactions: Wellspring

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
There were definitely some lessons to be learned; for us, there need to be some tweaks to the general admission camping area (too few porta pottys, showers didn't work). But we had a blast and are already talking about going next year. Give 'em a break, many of the staff were volunteers trying to help. And as the first big event after the lockdowns there were bound to be some oversights.

SS308

Rank V

Advocate I

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
There were definitely some lessons to be learned; for us, there need to be some tweaks to the general admission camping area (too few porta pottys, showers didn't work). But we had a blast and are already talking about going next year. Give 'em a break, many of the staff were volunteers trying to help. And as the first big event after the lockdowns there were bound to be some oversights.
The volunteers were awesome, the full time staff on the other, were rude. That is not an “oversite”, that is an attitude. We had over 30 people came down together and that was the unanimous consensus.

Reactions: Old Tanker

SS308

Rank V

Advocate I

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
I wanted to add, that we were impressed with the Expo overall. It was at an excellent location and the amount of vendors was overwhelming (in a good way).
I think maybe the staff (not volunteers) were overwhelmed.
Look forward to participating again next year.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I did not attend, but have watched a few videos on You Tube, it did not look that crowded compared to the Expo in Flagstaf in 2019.

BajaLory

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Lory
Last Name
Perfect
Member #

I attended and taught 5 classes plus they put me on 3 panel discussions. It was super hectic for me but fun! It was not as big of an event as Flagstaff in 2019 and that was a good thing I think! I had trouble finding the location of an awesome 2 hour class...and I'm good with maps lol. I asked a staff member and she drove me to it! It was way over behind the off-road course....I would have never found it. They did admit to needed a little better signage. Do know that the staff were taking customer feedback all weekend - I witnessed it in person. I camped on site and met awesome volunteers from all over the country. Did you know that you can volunteer for 12 hours and get free access to the event and camping all weekend? Great deal. You can even volunteer the days b4 the event too and then enjoy the 3 day event. The showers had very little water pressure but it was nice to get to rinse off every night. It was a HOT, windy and dusty event. They also needed more banos on the other end of the camping area. Overall it was fun and I met a lot of great like minded, earth friendly, off grid explorers! See you in Flagstaff!!!

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
We have attended all of the Overland east expos and volunteered for two. Great experience and great opportunity to meet people. The time goes by quick. I would recommend being a volunteer.
I used to be a paid staff member for the original owners of the venue when it was held in Asheville (I live there), and worked all of the shows.. Rain, mud, and all.... :sunglasses: