Overland Expo West 2018

• HTML tutorial

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Ok I know it’s early but I just purchased tickets. My question, is for those that have been. Is it worth purchasing reserved camping or just go with the on-site pine tree camping as they describe it? Any benefits to either (like distance to event, ability to have a fire, etc. ).

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Plumber_Tahoe

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Ok I know it’s early but I just purchased tickets. My question, is for those that have been. Is it worth purchasing reserved camping or just go with the on-site pine tree camping as they describe it? Any benefits to either (like distance to event, ability to have a fire, etc. ).

Thanks
If you travel and wish to stay with like minded OB folks you are welcome we usually have a couple locations some in the reserved and a couple in the open pines the reserved area is a stop for lunch and water the pines are the party and sleeping zones join us please, signs point the way

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Dana and k9sar

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

Last year, the reserved camping was directly behind the far end of the vendor display area. The non reserved camping is on the opposite side of the event behind the arena area where they had setup a few courses and was closer to the the food vendors. It looked as though the reserved camping area was more dispersed. Either way, plan to do a lot of walking because the event venue is huge. As far as fires go you are always good to go with a propane fire place. I don't remember seeing any wood fires anywhere at the event this past May.

-Curtiss

Reactions: TWT

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Last year, the reserved camping was directly behind the far end of the vendor display area. The non reserved camping is on the opposite side of the event behind the arena area where they had setup a few courses and was closer to the the food vendors. It looked as though the reserved camping area was more dispersed. Either way, plan to do a lot of walking because the event venue is huge. As far as fires go you are always good to go with a propane fire place. I don't remember seeing any wood fires anywhere at the event this past May.

-Curtiss
Thanks I looked up some of the FAQ and gas fire pits are ok anyplace. Wood fires are only allowed in reserved camping if there isn’t a fire conditions. It seems the pines will have porta potty setups where as it sounded like the reserved campsites have more permanent bathrooms.

craigR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mt Dora, FL
Member #

We plan on attending, it will be our first. We're waiting until February to purchase general admission tickets since we have two young kids and taking classes would be extremely difficult (for whoever has to stay behind and chase them haha).

We'll reserve a campsite if possible at the time we purchase tickets. Already got the date in my phone to remind me when they go on sale.

Hope to meet a bunch of OB members. We'll look for the signs.

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

We plan on attending, it will be our first. We're waiting until February to purchase general admission tickets since we have two young kids and taking classes would be extremely difficult (for whoever has to stay behind and chase them haha).

We'll reserve a campsite if possible at the time we purchase tickets. Already got the date in my phone to remind me when they go on sale.

Awesome! They offer daycare at the event but that can be a touchy subject. Turns out the person I am bringing with me wants reserved camping because you can have a fire. I’ll make them pay for it, haha. Not sure we’ll get it. Having the expo people look into it. Anyway, yes it will be nice to see other members.

Reactions: Michael and craigR

k9sar

Local Expert, Georgia USA

Enthusiast III

Rydal, GA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4EKF
We are hoping to make it to this event and hang out with our fellow OB family.

Reactions: Michael

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Reservation is open now, get on the computer and grab a reserved space, they will roll out quickly

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

craigR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mt Dora, FL
Member #

Reservation is open now, get on the computer and grab a reserved space, they will roll out quickly

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Expo Experience tickets are on sale now. General admission "Weekend Pass" with camping go on sale Feb 1, 2018. Those are the only two ways to reserve a campsite that I can find. We are waiting for General Admission Weekend Pass tickets due to having two small children. Is there another way to reserve campsites now?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael and k9sar

OnlyTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley CA
Member #

I'm looking to go this year as well. Finally have told my self to set aside some time for this. Looking forward to see other members.

Reactions: Dana

jckstrw

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kalispell, MT
Member #

I'm also thinking about going for the first time in May. I've seen some videos and looked at their site...trying to decide if I want to make this part of a larger road trip or not. I am mostly interested in meeting some new people and taking a few classes.

I've been to my fair share of camping music festivals, trade shows, conferences and camp outs. What is the vibe like at the expo? Party, gear extravaganza, community, all of the above? I would likely be coming solo and not know anyone...