Sumter, Sumter County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I know we're a ways out from Overland Expo East 2023 in Arrington, VA, on October 6th - 8th, but I'm hoping to go this year and would like to meet with other OB members. I think I remember from the discussion last year that most OB members go with standard camping, not forest camping, correct? Was there a set OB area last year?

Reactions: Raven Over Land

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

There wasn’t any set camping area for OB members, as you’re just parked in line by event staff as you arrive. If you’d like to camp adjacent to anyone, the best bet is to rally somewhere nearby, arrive together, get thru registration and then proceed to the camping area together. I camped in the big open field, not the wooded area, so I can’t say if either location was better/worse.
However, @Magic Mike and Deb graciously hosted a OB rally one evening at their campsite so we could all meet in person. @Michael joined us via video and it was a fun event. There were some excellent presentations and workshops during the day, along with seeing all the new gear. Go and enjoy!

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
There wasn’t any set camping area for OB members, as you’re just parked in line by event staff as you arrive. If you’d like to camp adjacent to anyone, the best bet is to rally somewhere nearby, arrive together, get thru registration and then proceed to the camping area together. I camped in the big open field, not the wooded area, so I can’t say if either location was better/worse.
However, @Magic Mike and Deb graciously hosted a OB rally one evening at their campsite so we could all meet in person. @Michael joined us via video and it was a fun event. There were some excellent presentations and workshops during the day, along with seeing all the new gear. Go and enjoy!
Thanks ZombieCat. It is a great event and we’ll be there this year as well, looking forward to see you all

Reactions: K9LTW and ZombieCat

chrisgardner73

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Sumter, Sumter County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Awesome, thanks! I'm going to grab my tickets this week, and I look forward to meeting some fellow OB members.

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
Skipping East this year, as I am taking a break from Overland Expo., and I also have a schedule conflict. Maybe I might try to attempt to drive out to West and make a cross country trip of it if I have the time next year.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
At almost 350 dollars to be crammed into a field doesn't sound fun to me, I will be doing a day pass and then exploring the mountains afterward for free

Raven Over Land

Rank IV

Explorer I

North Carolina, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Gault
Member #

Service Branch
Marine
At almost 350 dollars to be crammed into a field doesn't sound fun to me, I will be doing a day pass and then exploring the mountains afterward for free
I’m staying at one of the state parks if you download recreation.gov it will show you camp sites near the event. I paid like $35 for a spot. The one I’m staying at is 30 mins away.

TLC-Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Just got my General Admission Weekend Pass With Vehicle Camping for this year. I am planing on leaving Friday from Charlotte, so if anyone from the area is interested in driving together just let me know.