Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Ok folks I've started this thread for OXE22 so that we can come up with some ideas for next year. I love to get feed back from people so please let me know what we can do better next year. first if you were there fill out the survey they sent to you by email. Give them honest feed back about what they did well and what needs improvement. I may do a google form as well to find out what we can do next year too. As far as I could see most everyone who came by my camp and was hanging out had a good time. Tacos and bourbon were flying!....but the venue would not let me rope off an area and the area I had wanted to set up in was used for something else. I wish we could all have camped together but it simply was not in the cards....we will try again next year. I'm thinking of doing day long overland route out of the venue and out into the surrounding area. That would give us something we could do together outside of the camping area and give a since of community. Anyone want to take on that beast of an idea let me know. OK everyone, lets hear some ideas!

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

Hey, I was at Expo but I did not come by and visit your camp. I ended up camping in the Overland Experience area, and had a pretty good experience. My biggest complaints is the lack of signage for classes and the floodlights that ran all night.

I'm far from an expert in the area, but I do know of some trails to the Northwest of Arrington in the George Washington National Forest. You could link 3 or 4 of these trails together and make a nice little day trip.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
There should have been representation from OB for it's members if nothing else. That's what needs to be done differently.
Now that Expo has scheduled the events next year that are more than a couple of weeks apart, the plan is to be at all three expos next year.

TSO_NJ

Rank V

Explorer I

Burlington County, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

Ok folks I've started this thread for OXE22 so that we can come up with some ideas for next year. I love to get feed back from people so please let me know what we can do better next year. first if you were there fill out the survey they sent to you by email. Give them honest feed back about what they did well and what needs improvement. I may do a google form as well to find out what we can do next year too. As far as I could see most everyone who came by my camp and was hanging out had a good time. Tacos and bourbon were flying!....but the venue would not let me rope off an area and the area I had wanted to set up in was used for something else. I wish we could all have camped together but it simply was not in the cards....we will try again next year. I'm thinking of doing day long overland route out of the venue and out into the surrounding area. That would give us something we could do together outside of the camping area and give a since of community. Anyone want to take on that beast of an idea let me know. OK everyone, lets hear some ideas!
Rigs to assemble at a location a quarter mile or more away from the Expo.

Soon after 25 or more rigs arrive a convoy will begin (OB Parade). All members to attach a OB flag or banner to their rigs.

Once the convoy arrives at the campsite the rigs are to form tight rings (dart board pattern).

A large Solo Stove to be placed in the center of the convoy ring for a communal fire with seating safely arranged at a distance around the parameter.

OB Convoy Start Location (actual place, date, and arrive / depart times TBD) (support a local farm?)

Option 1:
Saunders Brothers Farm Market
GPS: 37.71664, -78.96819

1634210999925.png

1634176577656.png

Option 2:
Peavine Mountain Access
GPS: 37.72576, -78.80186

1634267669569.png

More details to follow.

Last edited:

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

1634130237749.png
Here is a quick route I put together in GAIA, it is right about 100 miles long and should take approximately 8 hours with stops. It's a good mixture of pretty highways and dirt roads. It runs by Shoe Creek Trail, some overlooks on the BRP, and through Enchanted Creek trail. Nothing too difficult, anyhting with 4x4 and a modicum of ground clearance will do well. I can't volunteer to lead a trip right now, but this could be a good resource for whoever ends up responsible for it.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

View attachment 212658
Here is a quick route I put together in GAIA, it is right about 100 miles long and should take approximately 8 hours with stops. It's a good mixture of pretty highways and dirt roads. It runs by Shoe Creek Trail, some overlooks on the BRP, and through Enchanted Creek trail. Nothing too difficult, anyhting with 4x4 and a modicum of ground clearance will do well. I can't volunteer to lead a trip right now, but this could be a good resource for whoever ends up responsible for it.
If you want to send me the GPX I can probably lead it. Maybe this winter..

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Rigs to assemble at a location a quarter mile or more away from the Expo.

Soon after 25 or more rigs arrive a convoy will begin (OB Parade). All members to attach a OB flag or banner to their rigs.

Once the convoy arrives at the campsite the rigs are to form tight rings (dart board pattern).

A large Solo Stove to be placed in the center of the convoy ring for a communal fire with seating safely arranged at a distance around the parameter.

OB Convoy Start Location (actual place, date, and arrive / depart times TBD) (support a local farm?)

Option 1:
Saunders Brothers Farm Market
GPS: 37.71664, -78.96819

View attachment 212764

View attachment 212734

Option 2:
Peavine Mountain Access
GPS: 37.72576, -78.80186

View attachment 212876

More details to follow.
I like the idea of meeting up at the Farmer's Market, perfect place to stock up on fresh food for all the Overland Bound Chefs like @Ohio Valley Overland!

TSO_NJ

Rank V

Explorer I

Burlington County, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

I like the idea of meeting up at the Farmer's Market, perfect place to stock up on fresh food for all the Overland Bound Chefs like @Ohio Valley Overland!
I agree! I’m a “support local farms” type of person. “No Farms - No Food”. :-)

OB Chef? Now we need to find a beef, poultry, and fish market. Let the search begin.

Last edited:

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
YEs,
Hey, I was at Expo but I did not come by and visit your camp. I ended up camping in the Overland Experience area, and had a pretty good experience. My biggest complaints is the lack of signage for classes and the floodlights that ran all night.

I'm far from an expert in the area, but I do know of some trails to the Northwest of Arrington in the George Washington National Forest. You could link 3 or 4 of these trails together and make a nice little day trip.
Yes, the lighting at night really was a real P.I.T.A....

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
Definitely. They’d do good to position so it lights the expo area but not the camp. Gonna have to prepare for that next year.
It may have been due to insurance regulations and keeping the vendor area lit for just that. Next year, I will position my truck and tent in such a way as to not have the lights be a problem.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
It may have been due to insurance regulations and keeping the vendor area lit for just that. Next year, I will position my truck and tent in such a way as to not have the lights be a problem.
Yeah I'm rethinking How I will setup too. Pretty sure I'll use the RTT next year too which blocks out light a lot better.

RedLeg

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Locust Grove, VA
First Name
Leif
Last Name
Henecke
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Seems like the OB leadership should have been in attendance, showing the flag and supporting their East Coast members. Especially when they’re asking us to be “Angel Investors” in the business. Hopefully they will attend next year. There should have been a deliberate plan for organizing OB member participation at the Expo, wouldn’t have been hard to do given our platform. Sadly, a missed opportunity.

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
While we can be upset over the fact that nobody from OB leadership was there, we must not overlook, but realize that specific topic blogs, and websites that promote input from outside from the general public that are interested in a myriad pf activities are also commercial ventures for those that start, and oversee them. We, the contributors and readers of such blogsites are the "product" that sell and make the money for the sites. We contribute our thoughts topical posts, and keep the website alive in our resultant comments, and topical interest headers for those that run the sites. I am not making excuses for why we didn't meet and see the "powers that be" there, but for whatever their reasons, they missed an opporuntiy to further their interests, and goals.

Aside from that, I must say that the few folks I met while attending shared many laughs, conversation, food, drink, and good times at Overland Expo East (at least for me), and made for the entire experience of joining this site worth it. "Management" not being there was slightly disappointing, but the few Overland Bound folks I met and hung out with the entire 4 days are I.M.H.O., friends for life, ones that share the mutual enjoyment in the outdoors and traveling as we all do in our style.

That is, and was the important take away for me in attending, and I hope that we can get more of us together next year if we can get our act together beforehand, to make it happen.

Just my 2 cents....

Cheers.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

I do believe I saw something in one of the threads from the higher ups that they do plan on being there with OB representation next year.

And I definitely like the idea of caravaning in as a large group, everybody flying the banner, as it were. I'll probably be doing the experience thing again next year, but now that I have a feel for how the camping and the rest of it works, wouldn't be worried about not camping in the experience section.