Overland Expo East 2017

• HTML tutorial

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
Is anyone on here going to the Expo? I've never been to one and this seems like a good time. My wife and I will be taking as many classes as we can while there. If you've been, can you make any recommendations as to classes to take, and what is in the area to check out?

I'm traveling from Florida and I want to take a couple days to get there, and maybe a few days to get back while doing some camping on the way. I was looking at maybe doing a day on the outer banks in North Carolina and camping there one of the days.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

There are at least a few folks who are going to be there. We are going to put together a group of folks who are going and want to camp together soon.

Reactions: Jade Overland

Ryan Hoffman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Somerset, PA
Member #

My wife and I are picking up the TAT around Chambersburg ,Pa and taking 3 days to travel down to the expo for Saturday. We are planning to do 674 miles of trails in three days. Hopefully we can make it in time for Saturday's events.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

My wife and I will be attending. Looking forward to it for sure, staying at a hotel as my wife isn't onboard with camping yet, but should still be a good time.

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
My wife and I will be attending. Looking forward to it for sure, staying at a hotel as my wife isn't onboard with camping yet, but should still be a good time.

Mine wasn't real big into it either. We had an honest discussion about what it would take to make her comfortable and we found that all she really needed was to be off the ground, with a comfy bed, and access to a real bathroom and shower. OK, simple enough. In came a RTT (oh no, an excuse to buy one) and we camp at national parks and KOA's. I get to take the wife camping, and she actually really enjoyed it for the two weeks we were out last time.

Another thing I found that helped was giving her a job. My job was to drive, and make sure we were comfortable. Her job was to find a place to stay on our route, and make the meals while I was getting camp set up. No one wants to be drug around like an anchor on a trip they're iffy about in the first place. My wife did an excellent job finding camps, and crushed the cooking, taking the stress of doing both off of me and making the trip more enjoyable for both of us. In the end the teamwork made the trip better and our relationship tighter.

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Mine wasn't real big into it either. We had an honest discussion about what it would take to make her comfortable and we found that all she really needed was to be off the ground, with a comfy bed, and access to a real bathroom and shower. OK, simple enough. In came a RTT (oh no, an excuse to buy one) and we camp at national parks and KOA's. I get to take the wife camping, and she actually really enjoyed it for the two weeks we were out last time.

Another thing I found that helped was giving her a job. My job was to drive, and make sure we were comfortable. Her job was to find a place to stay on our route, and make the meals while I was getting camp set up. No one wants to be drug around like an anchor on a trip they're iffy about in the first place. My wife did an excellent job finding camps, and crushed the cooking, taking the stress of doing both off of me and making the trip more enjoyable for both of us. In the end the teamwork made the trip better and our relationship tighter.
Yeah, that seems logical for sure. I'm just letting her get use to going off road right now. Slowly trying to do a little more. Only got out on trails once so far, want to get out a few more times before the expo for sure. Solid advice, I appreciate it.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I am still undecided.. My wifes birthday is 9/29 so i have to talk her into letting me go which may prove difficult.

Reactions: dj_mccomas

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

I'm thinking about going also, I went to the Expo West back in 2013, and it was great taking some classes and meeting new friends. Since I moved to the Atlanta area last year I'm it's just 3.5 hours away from me so I'll look deeper into it as time gets closer. Glad I found this thread!

BigJoe1960

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Definitely going again this year. The venue is really nice and Asheville, NC a cool little spot for the weekend. I will be there in my Conqueror UEV-490, set up at the show with @ConquerorNorthAmerica4x4 as a demo. I look forward to meeting other members, need some folks close by for adventures. OB#3924

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
That's a heck of a set-up. I'm going to be getting the full package for my wife and I, but I'm also getting a camping spot off location just in case for my vehicle and my parents. I asked the same question on Expedition Portal and some of the folks there thought it might not be a bad idea as the Biltmore gets very full. The last thing I want it to try to go to bed and have bad neighbors, or super crowded bathrooms and showers. I figure if I rent the spaces and don't use them I loose $100. If I get up there and don't have them and need them though I run the risk of having an unhappy spouse. I'll spend the $100 and consider it cheap travel insurance.

Whiteknuckler

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, Ca.
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6VBG
Is anyone on here going to the Expo? I've never been to one and this seems like a good time. My wife and I will be taking as many classes as we can while there. If you've been, can you make any recommendations as to classes to take, and what is in the area to check out?

I'm traveling from Florida and I want to take a couple days to get there, and maybe a few days to get back while doing some camping on the way. I was looking at maybe doing a day on the outer banks in North Carolina and camping there one of the days.
Just a note from someone who got back from Overland Expo West 2017 - We took as many classes to for the three days there - but missed time seeing all the vendors and exhibitors - I would suggest taking a half day off from classes to see other things

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
I'll be going again this year.
Since you've been, I'll ask you. I bought my tickets but see no place to book classes. Are they held on a first come, first serve basis or will they allow us to sign up for classes once it gets closer and they have a schedule? There are some things I really would really like to do.