Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

Denver, CO
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Kennard
Member #

I received the Event Brite heads up this past week on the 2020 Overland Expo in Flagstaff. This would have been the third time attending for my wife and I, but with new ownership comes changes. I get the price hike but what's keeping me from ordering tickets now for an event that takes place 9 months from now is the change to the refund policy. There isn't one. All sales final. The previous policy allowed for a full refund if the request was more than a month in advance of the event. Although, we have had a great time at the previous events, with elderly parents and work responsibilities that can't be predicted a week from now, I think we will take our chances and hope there are spots left a bit closer to the actual date.

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We won’t be attending any more of them after the debacle at OL east. I’d been upset if they turned me away and wouldn’t refund me! No thanks

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I knew the change in ownership would bring changes, I told myself to be open to new ways....but wow.
I have been an exhibitor, instructor or volunteer at OX West since 2007, I even went to a few of the East events....
Not really sure how I want to be a part of OX going forward.

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
I received the Event Brite heads up this past week on the 2020 Overland Expo in Flagstaff. This would have been the third time attending for my wife and I, but with new ownership comes changes. I get the price hike but what's keeping me from ordering tickets now for an event that takes place 9 months from now is the change to the refund policy. There isn't one. All sales final. The previous policy allowed for a full refund if the request was more than a month in advance of the event. Although, we have had a great time at the previous events, with elderly parents and work responsibilities that can't be predicted a week from now, I think we will take our chances and hope there are spots left a bit closer to the actual date.

Wife and I are planning on road-tripping out to the event in May, be our first. But... this is the fourth year we've tried to go and family/work/funds has become an issue weeks beforehand. Not sure I want to pay with no recourse if life throws us yet another curve.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

Unless your primary concern is profitability.
Taking peoples money with no exception is bs. The only way the new owners will "get it" is by failing attendance. The policy sucks, don't go. The attendance drops maybe they'll "get it". Yeah the dollar wins, both ways.
We were going to attend but not now. And Expo East, NEVER again!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
All they really need to do is add a Travelers Insurance option. Yes, it costs a few bucks more but the one for the Rocky Mountain Overland Rally was cheap. A change in work schedule qualified. (Yes I tried to read the fine print)

I don't think they will have an attendance issue with this policy other than less people in the camping areas. It's too bad and maybe they will change things. I would send them direct feedback on how you feel about the change.

Reactions: Aeroscout

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
Taking peoples money with no exception is bs. The only way the new owners will "get it" is by failing attendance. The policy sucks, don't go. The attendance drops maybe they'll "get it". Yeah the dollar wins, both ways.
We were going to attend but not now. And Expo East, NEVER again!
Off-topic, but I said the same thing last year after Expo East, but... well I'll be there again this year. The change in venue should greatly improve it.

Reactions: Motoboss