Overland Expo 2018 WEST Caravan - Arizona Convoy - Overland Expo WEST - 05/17/2018

• HTML tutorial

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Plan is still 5:30 departure from Tucson, meeting spot is in the rally point details (also linked in the first post on this thread) the Arco west of I-10 on Speedway (802 W Speedway Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85745). If any of the attending Tucson folks are actually coming from like Oro Valley or Marana or something, we could meet up at the Circle K in Marana instead. We still have some time to decide. When we are about a week or two out, i'll nail now final pickup spots and time estimates.

I'm getting excited!

Reactions: TimsterAZ

Arizona Jim

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Arizona
Member #

Very cool everybody. Can't wait to meet you up there. I live in Ahwatukee but have a house in Munds Park. Doesn't really make sense to camp on this one. See you on Saturday!

Reactions: brien

Livin the life

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Arizona
Member #

So I live in Tempe and will be ready on thursday the 17th after 9am, what time will you all be coming up through Tempe/Phoenix area? I want to jump onto the caravan.

Venture Overland Gear

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Castle Rock, CO, USA
Member #

My buddy from CO is heading out with me, we wont be up there til Sat early AM. We'll more than likely be dispersed camping outside the event, but would love to mee up with yall at your campsites, and cruise around the expo with yall if its cool.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
We won’t be up until Saturday as well. Dispersed camping will fill up quick. If you find a place that can take additional rigs on Saturday please post up. There are a lot of spots off of 89 to the west and the roads going towards FR231. They fill up quick on non-Expo weekends. Hopefully y’all can find something. Worst case we will be staying in town at my brothers house.

Wherever you go, there you are. Sent from my phone.

Reactions: Henk

llibrm

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Convection Oven AZ
Member #

I might be able to meet at the Anthem outlets. I'm camping with a friend and it depends upon his schedule. Looking forward to meeting some new faces up there this year

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Ok, so unless there's any really strong objections, the convoy will start off from Marana, that way people joining from the Northwest side of Tucson won't have to drive in the opposite direction just to meet up at the original starting point (Speedway and I-10). We'll meet up at the Circle K just off of I-10 in Marana (13961 N Sandario Rd, Marana, AZ 85653) at 05:30 and hopefully get rolling very shortly after. Unless we really get boned by Phoenix rush-hour traffic we should hopefully arrive at Outlets at Anthem (4250 W Anthem Way, Phoenix, AZ 85086) at around 8am, closer to 8:30 if traffic is really painful. If we roll from there by 9am we should hopefully be able to land at Fort Tuthill by just about 11am.

Recap:
Tucson area: Meetup at 05:30 roll by 5:45-ish --- Circle K 13961 N Sandario Rd, Marana, AZ 85653
Phoenix area: Meetup at 8:30 roll by 8:45-9-ish --- Circle K @ 4135 W Anthem Way, Anthem, AZ 85086
Arrive Fort Tuthill between 10:30 and 11am or so and get in line for camping right away.

Does anybody from the Phoenix area want to volunteer to be the main contact/point person at Anthem? This would allow me to give updates on our progress if we hit bad traffic on our way through Phoenix.

I forgot to bring up communication, what are y'all running for coms. I have (in order of preference/utility):
1) ham radio 2m (will be on simplex 146.535)
2) GMRS / FRS (will be on channel 5)
3) CB (channel 4, but I might not have mine hooked up, we'll see)

my cell phone: 650-210-6436

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Please leave a reply with your intention of still joining the convoy so we can have a rough idea of who we need to wait for.

TimsterAZ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tucson, Arizona
Member #

Ok, so unless there's any really strong objections, the convoy will start off from Marana, that way people joining from the Northwest side of Tucson won't have to drive in the opposite direction just to meet up at the original starting point (Speedway and I-10). We'll meet up at the Circle K just off of I-10 in Marana (13961 N Sandario Rd, Marana, AZ 85653) at 05:30 and hopefully get rolling very shortly after. Unless we really get boned by Phoenix rush-hour traffic we should hopefully arrive at Outlets at Anthem (4250 W Anthem Way, Phoenix, AZ 85086) at around 8am, closer to 8:30 if traffic is really painful. If we roll from there by 9am we should hopefully be able to land at Fort Tuthill by just about 11am.

Recap:
Tucson area: Meetup at 05:30 roll by 5:45-ish --- Circle K 13961 N Sandario Rd, Marana, AZ 85653
Phoenix area: Meetup at 8:30 roll by 8:45-9-ish --- Circle K @ 4135 W Anthem Way, Anthem, AZ 85086
Arrive Fort Tuthill between 10:30 and 11am or so and get in line for camping right away.

Does anybody from the Phoenix area want to volunteer to be the main contact/point person at Anthem? This would allow me to give updates on our progress if we hit bad traffic on our way through Phoenix.

I forgot to bring up communication, what are y'all running for coms. I have (in order of preference/utility):

Please leave a reply with your intention of still joining the convoy so we can have a rough idea of who we need to wait for.

Recap:

Sounds great Brien. Thanks for putting all this together. Will meet everyone @ the circle k in marana. My CB is installed, but unfortunately needs to be tuned. I can be reached on my cell, 520 661-7722. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Tim

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I'll also have some extra FRS radios I can hand out as needed

Reactions: TimsterAZ

Traverser

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Houston
Member #

I’m leaving Houston tomorrow morning and should be in Tucson wenesday afternoon.
Hopefully I’ll meet up with y’all Thursday am
My cell is 832-642-9757 looking forward to meeting everyone
Really appreciate you putting this together
Thanks Mike

Reactions: brien

Traverser

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Houston
Member #

Made it to Leasburg state park, north of las cruces. Nice little park, going to the cliff dwellings tomarow and overnight at Picacho Peak Park, just north of the meet point. Hope to see y’all bright and early Thursday

Reactions: TimsterAZ and brien

Venture Overland Gear

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Castle Rock, CO, USA
Member #

So... I ended up heading up here early :-) to find a campsite since itll be super busy and I dont have Expo camping reservations. I found a great spot just a few miles from Expo. Its large and mostly flat. If any of yall are wanting to join our site, there's plenty of room for tents, camp setups, rigs, trailers, parking, etc. I dropped a pin for yall.

Dropped Pin
near Flagstaff, AZ
https://goo.gl/maps/7LLp1AqjFQT2

Henk

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

SAUDI ARABIA
First Name
Henk
Last Name
Van der Merwe
Member #

Thank you Venture Overland...dont mind if i do. At the Phoenix convoy rally point now, see you this afternoon. Im hammock camping, thus a small footprint [emoji252]

Sent from my SM-G955F using OB Talk mobile app