scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
So a bit of forward planning, this is in hopes that Covid is done with and I can leave the state (essential state employee-travel restrictions/2 week quarantine rules for out of state travel) without these restrictions in place come October 8th-10th in Virginia.

I drive a 2016 tacoma TRD OR all my stuff fits in the bed/back seats under my tonneau cover with RTT. since this pic truck has gotten a 2.5 dobinson MRA lift, and I have CBI skidsplates on order as of this week, and likely by october of next year will have a different bed rack (looking at max-modular 14" rack with tonneau brackets , and possibly a roof rack. and the SSO stage 2 bumper wings. and a high clearance rear bumper.

115824264_10164132058390038_2575804260812971648_n.jpg

MY PLANS:

leave my house in Midcoast Maine. October 3rd (I have vacation scheduled from October 3rd-12th off)

*I plan to head south towards Washington DC.

-camp north of DC area selecting sites (if anyone has a suggestion let me know, would like something within an hour of DC)

I plan to stop at a few historical sites (never been to DC.. other than the airport). Would like to see washington monument, the lincoln memorial, few museums, and take some tourist like pictures.. possibly spend 2 days or so in the area.

find some area trails and explore some national parks. then head to Arringtion, VA on the 7th OR 8th.

*7th/8th-9th Overland Expo

9th-12th make my way back to Maine, making stops as I further plan this trip explore northern VA, Western PA, and possibly head through northern New York state.

anyone is welcome to join me, will post pictures. and try to keep plans as up to date as I can. thank you.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Nice rig and sounds like a pretty nice plan you have there! I have similar ideas for the East Expo but I will be coming up from south GA. We have talked about taking a trip up the east coast during October so this would work great for us. Was super excited about it this year until the apocalypse happened upon us lol!

scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
Don't mean to be cruel/mean to those directly affect by covid, so sorry for your loss, or the pains that it brings with it to those indirectly affected.

I am being held up by COVID at this point, but the vaccine gives me hope.. almost 11 months away...... so i should be good. thanks @Kent R i'll keep it in mind as we get closer tot he timeframe, is there a difference in purchasing tickets? I havent purchased mine yet.. holding out until more positive news on COVID frontier. tagging @Ohio Valley Overland ill send a MSG after this. thanks again.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Don't mean to be cruel/mean to those directly affect by covid, so sorry for your loss, or the pains that it brings with it to those indirectly affected.

I am being held up by COVID at this point, but the vaccine gives me hope.. almost 11 months away...... so i should be good. thanks @Kent R i'll keep it in mind as we get closer tot he timeframe, is there a difference in purchasing tickets? I havent purchased mine yet.. holding out until more positive news on COVID frontier. tagging @Ohio Valley Overland ill send a MSG after this. thanks again.
Yeah, I wouldn't purchase anything yet. I got a refund for east and west finally but it didn't look like it was going to happen. I'm still in a dispute w/ one other event who cancelled but decided to keep everyone's money.

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

Sounds like a great trip - went to Expo in Flagstaff in 2018, fun event, glad I did it, but prepare for crowds.

Make sure you check out AB Maps — The Appalachian Byway for some of your trip. Looking forward to seeing updates - assuming it happens, but I am optimistic now. I'm in Western MA, and would be great to meet up when you are going through, PA, NY, VT, and NH on your way home.

Reactions: Mhobbes

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Sounds like a great trip - went to Expo in Flagstaff in 2018, fun event, glad I did it, but prepare for crowds.

Make sure you check out AB Maps — The Appalachian Byway for some of your trip. Looking forward to seeing updates - assuming it happens, but I am optimistic now. I'm in Western MA, and would be great to meet up when you are going through, PA, NY, VT, and NH on your way home.
I drove the Mohawk Trail while I was up there for work once. I feel like I was missing something there. Didn't seem to be much camping or anything else over there.

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

I drove the Mohawk Trail while I was up there for work once. I feel like I was missing something there. Didn't seem to be much camping or anything else over there.
Mohawk trail is mainly route 2, need to go through October mountain area - good off road, but no dispersed camping in the area - throughout much of New England, I usually grab the backpack and hit the trails on foot. It is nothing like when I lived out west, but still some good off-road trails, just hard to find. Let me know if you are back in the area, but most places are hard to access in the winter.

Reactions: diabetiktaco

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Mohawk trail is mainly route 2, need to go through October mountain area - good off road, but no dispersed camping in the area - throughout much of New England, I usually grab the backpack and hit the trails on foot. It is nothing like when I lived out west, but still some good off-road trails, just hard to find. Let me know if you are back in the area, but most places are hard to access in the winter.
I've been along rt 2/ Mohawk trail a little and this is true. However, it appears to me that several small collections of trails to the immediate north of route 2 may be an older version of the road. That or 2A may have been closer to the real original trail.

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I'll have to check it out sometime. I used to cover that area for an auto parts company I work for but not anymore so I don't make it out like I used to. Plus, I've been dying to get back to eastern Mass. #threadjack

AdventureMule

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Wilmington, DE
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Hunter
Going to be keeping an eye on this. I'm in Delaware, so at some point depending on your route, you'll be coming my way. Maybe we could coordinate a meet-up spot and head in to DC together.

Reactions: scott17818

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Yeah, I wouldn't purchase anything yet. I got a refund for east and west finally but it didn't look like it was going to happen. I'm still in a dispute w/ one other event who cancelled but decided to keep everyone's money.
I will be working with OEE again in 2021 to secure the same spot we had in 2019. I will be volunteering again for OEE working to help set up the event. I will also be doing a shift or two at the OB tent. Stay tuned for more details as they become available.

Ursa Major

Rank VI

Influencer I

Woodstock, Vermont, United States
First Name
Gunnar
Last Name
Nourse
Member #

I'm curiously watching this thread. I'm new to the whole overland scene, and have heard great things about the expos. Would be pretty curious to know more about it if anyone wants to cough up some info from personal experience. *wink wink*

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I'm curiously watching this thread. I'm new to the whole overland scene, and have heard great things about the expos. Would be pretty curious to know more about it if anyone wants to cough up some info from personal experience. *wink wink*
What do you want to know?

Ursa Major

Rank VI

Influencer I

Woodstock, Vermont, United States
First Name
Gunnar
Last Name
Nourse
Member #

Well, I've been to the New York Auto Show and that showed off some concept cars, new rigs, sports cars, etc etc. I would presume, OEE would be much the same? New products, overland models of rigs (like the Ranger Tremor). I'd be curious to know if it's "real" peoples builds on display, or just these companies out there. I like me a good frankenstein project to be honest lol

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

On the website, under "ways to attend..."
What's Andy Dwyer from Parks & Rec doing standing next to that Pinzgauer?

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Haha it's nothing like the NYIAS. You can compare it to NYIAS but everyone smoked weed first...seriously.

It's very vendor focused but these vendors don't have much money. Most of them reach out to their customers to display products and the customers will walk you through the product. So yes, your talking to real people. The larger companies usually have a giant trailer with their sales reps out there and a vehicle they built to display their product. I would assume they only use it if they are filming. There's youtube personalities there like Dan Grec, Lifestyle Overland, etc etc etc..You can walk up to anybody there and talk to them about anything and they'll be totally cool.

So, the most fun I had was talking to some of the popular guys who have experiences to share. Secondly I loved visiting each vendor and checking out new products..the free patches don't hurt either. Most of them are running show specials and will sell stuff cheaper as the weekend moves on so they don't have to bring it back w/ them. There's classes, tutorials, talking sessions, food trucks, etc. It's probably one of the most fun times you can have.

Reactions: Ursa Major