Overland East 2018 - Anyone from our region considering?

• HTML tutorial

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Curious if anyone from our region is considering going to Overland East this year?

We're thinking it might be a possibility for us to go. Still not 100% We'd be starting the trip from Oklahoma most likely, not sure where exactly as we travel full time.

But if so, please comment and let us know. Would be fun to caravan with someone if we make the trek.

Eric AKA Jeepsies

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
There's like a 20% chance I'll try to make it. The timing is the main issue I have. If I drive out there, by the time I drive back here to AZ i'll only have a couple days to unload, clean, restock, reload everything before we head out to MX for a couple weeks. I suspect that timing would leave me rushed and likely to screw up the packing and planning. Not to mention I'd want to give the vehicle a once-over in between trips, too, which will eat up even more time. I'd also have to come out solo, leaving the wife with all three kids for 7-10 days which would not be a smart move.

Reactions: Hourless Life

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Curious if anyone from our region is considering going to Overland East this year?

We're thinking it might be a possibility for us to go. Still not 100% We'd be starting the trip from Oklahoma most likely, not sure where exactly as we travel full time.

But if so, please comment and let us know. Would be fun to caravan with someone if we make the trek.

Eric AKA Jeepsies
I will be attending Overland Expo East. I'm in Austin, TX. I'm sure we can find a place to meet up in route. I suspect, our path will cross around Little Rock, assuming you are taking HWY 40. I will be taking 30, and jumping on 40 in the Little Rock area. I'm sure we could find a place to meet up.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I will be attending Overland Expo East. I'm in Austin, TX. I'm sure we can find a place to meet up in route. I suspect, our path will cross around Little Rock, assuming you are taking HWY 40. I will be taking 30, and jumping on 40 in the Little Rock area. I'm sure we could find a place to meet up.
Jeff, awesome! This could be fun. What is the best way to communicate about this with you?

We just got our tickets today. So we're going.

Like I said, at this point I don't know where we'll be when we take off, but I'm guessing somewhere between Colorado and Oklahoma. Either way, we could time it out to make sure we meet up somewhere semi-convenient for us both.

Also, how far do you plan on traveling per day? We need to work in the mornings from around 7AM to noon. But... I'm sure my wife and I could take turns working from the Jeep as long as we have internet signal from our hot spots.

Keep me posted. Definitely don't want to slow your roll out there, but if you're flexible, we are too and it would be great to run out with another OB member. (and Jeeper)

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

There's like a 20% chance I'll try to make it. The timing is the main issue I have. If I drive out there, by the time I drive back here to AZ i'll only have a couple days to unload, clean, restock, reload everything before we head out to MX for a couple weeks. I suspect that timing would leave me rushed and likely to screw up the packing and planning. Not to mention I'd want to give the vehicle a once-over in between trips, too, which will eat up even more time. I'd also have to come out solo, leaving the wife with all three kids for 7-10 days which would not be a smart move.
Sorry Brien, just saw this. Any update.. have you decided if you're running out there? We just got our tix. So it's a go for us. Looks like Jeff might be in for a caravan too. Keep us both posted.

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Jeff, awesome! This could be fun. What is the best way to communicate about this with you?

Like I said, at this point I don't know where we'll be when we take off, but I'm guessing somewhere between Colorado and Oklahoma. Either way, we could time it out to make sure we meet up somewhere semi-convenient for us both.

Also, how far do you plan on traveling per day? We need to work in the mornings from around 7AM to noon. But... I'm sure my wife and I could take turns working from the Jeep as long as we have internet signal from our hot spots.

Keep me posted. Definitely don't want to slow your roll out there, but if you're flexible, we are too and it would be great to run out with another OB member. (and Jeeper)

Eric AKA Jeepsies
We have our tickets also. We wanted to go last year, but it conflicted with “off the grid West 17”. This year their is no conflict. Feel free to PM me, we can work out the details, as your plans become more firm.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Sorry Brien, just saw this. Any update.. have you decided if you're running out there? We just got our tix. So it's a go for us. Looks like Jeff might be in for a caravan too. Keep us both posted.

Eric AKA Jeepsies
At this point I'm an "OUT". I just don't think I can pull it off with the timing of our bigger MX trip that will start the following week.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

At this point I'm an "OUT". I just don't think I can pull it off with the timing of our bigger MX trip that will start the following week.
Brien, I'm really bummed to hear this. I actually wanted to sit with you and pick your brain over a campfire and talk Mexico. Dang it. (Honestly one of the reasons I really wanted to go was to meet and talk with you haha) But understood. I'll be following you on social.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Brien, I'm really bummed to hear this. I actually wanted to sit with you and pick your brain over a campfire and talk Mexico. Dang it. (Honestly one of the reasons I really wanted to go was to meet and talk with you haha) But understood. I'll be following you on social.
We'll find a time, i'm sure. We are going to do something over Memorial Day weekend as well as when we pick up some new equipment towards the end of Sept. I'll be wanting to break it in so i'm certain i'll be heading out somewhere for that, too, especially since the kids have fall break off at school for 10 days in the beginning of October. Are you guys going to be in SD for a while now or are you heading elsewhere before you end up in OK before heading to Expo?

edit: SD, not ND!

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

We'll find a time, i'm sure. We are going to do something over Memorial Day weekend as well as when we pick up some new equipment towards the end of Sept. I'll be wanting to break it in so i'm certain i'll be heading out somewhere for that, too, especially since the kids have fall break off at school for 10 days in the beginning of October. Are you guys going to be in SD for a while now or are you heading elsewhere before you end up in OK before heading to Expo?

edit: SD, not ND!
We’ll be in SD until September 8th then Western Nebraska the 8-14 then I’m into Colorado from Sep 15-October 19 before heading towards Oklahoma.

Eric

Reactions: brien

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Colorado in October might be a possibility. As the wife and I were just talking ideas for that 10/11-day block we have in Oct, we realized we have some coordination to work out, we AirBnB our guesthouse and there's two bookings during that time, but i'll keep you posted!

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
We cleared up some schedule conflicts and are now able to attend Off The Grid West again this year! We'll be at Shaver Lake October 5-7th for the event, and then we'll probably bop up to the bay area for a few days to say hi to friends and family in S.F. before working our way back to Baja Arizona. @Jeepsies are you guys attending OTG?

@Jeff Graham let me know if you wanna caravan part of the way there depending on what your timing and routing plans were. We're likely gonna do what I did last year, camp in up in the Mojave Desert near Granite Peak just north of Hwy 40 on the Thursday night before, then wake up and drive the rest of the way to Camp Edison on Friday, aiming to arrive mid-afternoon. I think official check-in is 3pm, we'll probably aim for arrival just a bit earlier.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
We cleared up some schedule conflicts and are now able to attend Off The Grid West again this year! We'll be at Shaver Lake October 5-7th for the event, and then we'll probably bop up to the bay area for a few days to say hi to friends and family in S.F. before working our way back to Baja Arizona. @Jeepsies are you guys attending OTG?

@Jeff Graham let me know if you wanna caravan part of the way there depending on what your timing and routing plans were. We're likely gonna do what I did last year, camp in up in the Mojave Desert near Granite Peak just north of Hwy 40 on the Thursday night before, then wake up and drive the rest of the way to Camp Edison on Friday, aiming to arrive mid-afternoon. I think official check-in is 3pm, we'll probably aim for arrival just a bit earlier.
I’m doing a roundabout path to OTG West 2018. I’m having my new URSA Minor J30 fitted to my Jeep, a few days before the event. Using this trip/event as a shakedown trip.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I’m really looking forward to both OTG West and Overland Expo East this year.

@brien i will be arriving early also. Looking forward to chatting at the event

@Jeepsies let me know where you want to meet up for the trip to Overland Expo East.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I’m really looking forward to both OTG West and Overland Expo East this year.

@brien i will be arriving early also. Looking forward to chatting at the event

@Jeepsies let me know where you want to meet up for the trip to Overland Expo East.
Jeff I know for sure we’re meeting at Papas and Beer in Asheville on Thursday from 3-4pm so we can all go in and camp together.

I’ll let you know on our route once we figure that out. We’re traveling with a toddler so we might be moving a bit slower than you’d like. No offense taken if you plan on booging across the states.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

LOCO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oklahoma
Member #

Eric AKA Jeepsies
You better have Verizon!