Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Well, sort of a cold shower after a couple month here as i feel like a lot of things are happening but a lot of people from Europe do not communicate here and it's so sad :

Today I saw an official OB post on instagram saying a mid europe member was planning a trip to morocco so i leave my phone for the macbook and explore the forum : a mid Europe member i don't know? Cool! Active? Cool! How could i miss his post? Mid Europe section? Nothing. Europe? Nothing. Africa? Nothing. North Africa? Nothing. And i'm like, ok, Mickael knows, we don't. The story is able to travel thousands miles to Mickael's ears but not to ours, as neighbours? It's sad that so many things are happening but so few try to meet other members on their route. Oh and i feel even more sad as mid europe community is small so when you have someone planning cool things you'd think you know about the guy, that he would. Well. Bond.

Maybe now rigs are too reliable and nobody needs anything.

A little story to share : when i was in the vintage Land Rover community i met this couple. They travelled the world in their old LR. We were joking about how much NOT reliable our vehicles were and they told me someday they got fed up with it. They bought a brand new rig for their next travel. Everything was perfect. They never had an issue with anything. The journey was absolutely flawless.

When they got back home, they sold the new rig.

I was like... What? Why?

"Because it changed everything. Because we never really met and talked to people. Because it never failed. Nothing got broken. So we did not have to ask for help. We did not have to fix, invent, think, create, fear, and bond to make friends like we would in our old land rover".

Maybe i'm getting old haha. Cheers brothers.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I felt like you when I saw the post... And it was kinda hard to like it.
I probably don't read everything that gets written... But there's a reason for that, I have nearly given up. I feel like nearly everyone who wants to meet and interact seems to be already gathered and if we have a discussion going on in the forum, less than a third of the few European members take part.
I think they are eventually not interested, but if so, why did they join the community?
Well I'm more like a keyboard warrior and gearhead for some reasons, others are always on the move, I write more, they travel more...
To me personally it's what it is, I accept the way it is and I'm glad I met some great people!

Reactions: PeterC

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

So, my two cents about this;

First of all, this is my experience, and my opinion. So, yours may vary.

To me there are here in Europe several sorts of people who do 4x4 wheeling.

1. First the old fashion, individualistic Overlander. Goes on a trip, stays away, months, years, lifetime. Some are able to commuicate through a blog/website. Most arent. It is just not their nature.
2. Secondly, the Pay and Play guys. Nothing wrong with them, but you wont find them here.
2.a. Those who have a street legal Rig and go on a tour now and then. When on a tour, it has to be though. They are not going out for the scenery, but for the challenge. Some of these guys are making our hobby very difficult.
3. The weekend warrior. Well, they like to do a trip, maybe two, they do camping, but with a standard trailer, caravan and tent. They come to this forum and find themselves overwhelmed by all the travel there is here.
4. The new Overlander. Goes out and explore the world, near or further away. Once a year, or maybe some weekends as well. Depending on the weather. I think they can evolve into the next level.
5. The new Overlander extended. Lives and breathes exploring, near or far. Goes on trips as much as possible. OR longer ones. Does also more mileage to get there. And is willing to communicate about it.

And then you have everything in between, more or less, left or right.

I feel, Iam number 5. Live to go out and explore. Like to do so with groups, alone, or meet up with people. I dont care about the distance. Money can stop me, and time. At least, the time of Frederique, as she still works.
When at home, I think Overlanding, when a trip, weekend, week is done, I go and start the preparations for the next one.
When at home I write, communicate about it.

But, we are small in numbers. When we have a 100 members in Mid Europe, registrated and full members, you will have 10% max that is really active on a forum and in real life.
So, we have meet up with the following people in all the years Iam with OB.
In Random order;

Ron, Toon, Mathias, Sven, Fabian, Jordan/Lizanne, Mudcrawler, 4x4vanlife, German_Overlander, Marco, David, Bernd, Thomas/Agate and a few more, which names I completely forgot. Not that they werent interesting people, but Iam horrible with names.
Then I talked with several people here on the forum.
So, I guess, we have a group of around 25 people who I spoken to in real life or here on the forum. And that means, we have more as 10% active members. That is a lot.
If I count in the people who are connected to me by Dragonriders Travel, it is even more.

So, yes it feels like nothing happens, but actually there is happining a lot.

Just get out there and lets have fun.

Reactions: PeterC

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

@MazeVX : i am also very happy to talk to lot of you guys, and i could "wake up" 70% of our french members which is awesome, and it enlightened the fact that the forum is not the best way to communicate on a daily basis. That's why i wanted the official OB FB page. Which is not showing up, but it's like i do not really care anymore as we have alternatives we are building ourselves.

@Robert OB 33/48 I understand and agree. But facts and statistics were not really my point here. I might be a bit of a dreamer but to make it clearer : when the number of members is low, it is obvious to me that they have to talk, create link and build together an emulation feeling. I can't understand (and dislike the mindset) someone who gets his membership but does not make the effort of saying hello in the introduction section and in his region section. It's a community. How do you act in a community if you do not even say hello to your neighbours? Community is not for individualistics. (and yes i searched for this member's messages using his member number and had none. Zero.). And then my question was how the heck does this guy have his photo on instagram while he never said a word to anyone. This could sound like jealousy and i could not care less but this is absolutely not. This is all about being part of the community and making some efforts. I'm a meritocracy guy.

Not an issue, just free talk, and i'm done :)

Reactions: PeterC and MazeVX

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Angus, @76_overlander, Dont worry, Iam actually not directly a man of numbers. I prefer the people, not the numbers they represent. However, I learned over the years, that if you like to tell something right, or as right as possible, you need to be able to show up figures.

Anyway, we are busy with our work to get people up an running here on the forum, but more importantly in the field. And that is the most important thing now.
You are doing your effort in the Southern part of France/northern part of Spain, Jordan does so in the north of France. And so on.
I will try to meet up with all of you. So, lets stay together and we can make Europe even more united as it is now.
Sometimes less is more.
And some slow starters are the fastest runners in the end.

Lets do this.

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Hi all of you, I am quite new to OB,

HI I am Jacques Nilles from Luxembourg

I introduced myself at the Forum "New Members start here", but that's worldwide !

I think it would be a great idea to launch a section like this for the Europe region.
Yes, this is a very simple yet very good idea, you're right :)

-> New Mid Europe members start here

Last edited:

kivo

Rank II
Launch Member

Member III

Geel, Belgium
First Name
Kid
Last Name
Van Ouytsel
Member #

Maybe now rigs are too reliable and nobody needs anything.

A little story to share : when i was in the vintage Land Rover community i met this couple. They travelled the world in their old LR. We were joking about how much NOT reliable our vehicles were and they told me someday they got fed up with it. They bought a brand new rig for their next travel. Everything was perfect. They never had an issue with anything. The journey was absolutely flawless.

When they got back home, they sold the new rig.

I was like... What? Why?

"Because it changed everything. Because we never really met and talked to people. Because it never failed. Nothing got broken. So we did not have to ask for help. We did not have to fix, invent, think, create, fear, and bond to make friends like we would in our old land rover".
Digging up a somewhat older thread, if I'm allowed...

Things changes, and not only the car one travels with.
I grew up with maps, got lost dozens of times, whether on the road, or in the mountains/woods. You stopped people, or pulled over, had to ask for info and directions, ask for a place to eat and sleep. As a side effect of nowadays technologies, GPS, cell phones, one can mostly help him/herself with a push of a button - I.e. there is less the need to seek help, talk to others, one can manage.

We always played outdoors, all of the kids in our neighborhood did, now many kids spend time on FB, Instagram and such.

Times changes, people change...