Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

I was curious if there was an overland bound motorcycle group. If not is there a possibility to get one started. I think there’s a ton of potential. I use my bike to get out to more remote locations then I do my car. But that’s me. Maybe get some knew emblems made up with a motorcycle on them. Just a thought.

Attachments

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I was curious if there was an overland bound motorcycle group. If not is there a possibility to get one started. I think there’s a ton of potential. I use my bike to get out to more remote locations then I do my car. But that’s me. Maybe get some knew emblems made up with a motorcycle on them. Just a thought.
I have given this thought as well and that's why I'm following local dual sport, dirt bike, and ADV groups through social media. BUT imagine how awesome it would be to have sub catergories on the forum for transportation included on OverlandBound. We could have sub categories for Trucks, SUVs, Vans, wagons, compact, motorcycles, and even bicycles. BUT with the overall meaning of OverlandBound, "it doesn't matter what you drive," having separate emblems on a moto would segregate the family. (Not that I wouldn't enjoy a motorcycle emblem.) So maybe a good start would be posting a motorcycle event in Rally Point to accomplish getting a group together.

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

I have given this thought as well and that's why I'm following local dual sport, dirt bike, and ADV groups through social media. BUT imagine how awesome it would be to have sub catergories on the forum for transportation included on OverlandBound. We could have sub categories for Trucks, SUVs, Vans, wagons, compact, motorcycles, and even bicycles. BUT with the overall meaning of OverlandBound, "it doesn't matter what you drive," having separate emblems on a moto would segregate the family. (Not that I wouldn't enjoy a motorcycle emblem.) So maybe a good start would be posting a motorcycle event in Rally Point to accomplish getting a group together.

The sub groups would be awesome

Vman1313 Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maysville, GA, USA
First Name
Vman1313
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

I too have done a bit of overlanding trips on my Adventure Motorcycle. Most have been 2 to 3 day trips but covering as much off road and remote areas as possible. I think an Overland Bound Motorcycle section or group would be a nice addition to this awesome group.20170601_150823.jpg 20170402_111659.jpg

Reactions: Tinker and Crispy

kcjoiner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Washington, United States
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Roy
Member #

I like it....it's just one more way to get out an adventure. I've got a 2000 Jeep XJ, 2013 Husqvarna TE310R and a 2014 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000.

twan

Rank I

Contributor III

I'm in. I got a 2001 dyna fxdxt sport for the streets and 2011 husky wr125 with a 165 big bore kit and a 1996 xr400 with a 400ex motor in the frame. I'm ready lol

Toyfool

Rank I

Traveler I

I too ride ADV bikes. It's quite different than traveling with four wheels under you and getting stuck in the sand is a real pain. In this picture I was trying to take a short cut out the back door of the Navajo National Monument Campground over to Page, AZ and then up to hit House Rock Road back down through Jacob Lake to camp on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. No Maxtrax - I used my cooking pot to shovel a track so I could get going again.

And certainly the amount of gear you can carry (and water) is limited. Wife and I just did the Mojave road earlier this week in my truck and we had 12 gallons of water with us. Not doing that one on a bike.

My latest multi-day trip on two wheels was last summer cruising off the beaten path through northern NM and southern CO with my fly rod. Here's a shot on my way back. The view to the east shows the Sangre's with the peaks around Taos and Red River in the background.

The season for getting into the high country and camping by sweet remote trout streams is almost upon us.:sunglasses:

Reactions: kcjoiner

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Done my fair share of adventure riding, on a KLR and KTM 990. Even went to Europe. But these days I prefer to do my exploring on 4 wheels, got some ailing knees and hips that's taking the fun away from riding. Also got a pooch that I like to have join me on my adventures and no real feasible way to bring him along on two wheels.

Speaking of bikes, anybody want to buy my KTM 990 ADV?

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
I've discussed this briefly with Michael and Corrie and it's part of the plan to include more 2 wheeled friends!

As I'm doing the TransAmerica Trail in a month or so, I'm a big advocate of having more adventure riders in here! So the next ambassador meeting we have I'll bring it up again! I'm glad someone started a thread on this!

This is my KLR 650 on the left, a KTM EXC 450F and a XR 650 f

Attachments

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Done my fair share of adventure riding, on a KLR and KTM 990. Even went to Europe. But these days I prefer to do my exploring on 4 wheels, got some ailing knees and hips that's taking the fun away from riding. Also got a pooch that I like to have join me on my adventures and no real feasible way to bring him along on two wheels.

Speaking of bikes, anybody want to buy my KTM 990 ADV?
How much are you asking for it?

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

I'm just getting into the 2-wheeled offroad travel, so I'd love to see a section for it :) Mine has been my daily since the Rover's been down for upgrades last fall, not letting that keep me from trying to get out in the woods though!

Reactions: AdventureWithDanan

Toyfool

Rank I

Traveler I

I've discussed this briefly with Michael and Corrie and it's part of the plan to include more 2 wheeled friends!
Not sure I really understand what the advantage of trying to bring in 2 wheel adventurers would be over what ADVRIDER, ExPo, and HU already are doing. Honestly, if I am looking for bike related info I go to ADVRIDER. The bike specific build threads are extensive and I can almost always find the help I need there. If I need a quick dose of vicarious adventure the ride reports are excellent.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Not sure I really understand what the advantage of trying to bring in 2 wheel adventurers would be over what ADVRIDER, ExPo, and HU already are doing. Honestly, if I am looking for bike related info I go to ADVRIDER. The bike specific build threads are extensive and I can almost always find the help I need there. If I need a quick dose of vicarious adventure the ride reports are excellent.

Doesn't have to be an advantage over any other place to welcome two-wheel adventurers here. If enough members want it, it's likely to happen. A lot of members that are already here and use OLB as their primary adventure/overland site ride bikes and adventure forth on them. It's just a natural progression to want a bike section here, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wallygator

DesertFox

Rank III

Advocate II

California
Member #

I"ve been to Mt Washington in NH, New River Gorge in WV and down to Natchez, MS on the Natchez Trace Scenic Drive, to name a few, on an Ultra Classic while based in Indianapolis, IN. I think that qualifies as Overlanding.

Sent from my SM-G900P using OB Talk mobile app
"...the Natchez Trace Scenic Drive..." NT is 400+ miles of driving bliss, one of the best roads in America.

Sent from my HTC U11 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Road