Aloha_Cruiser

Rank II

Enthusiast II

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
S.
This is my first OB post. I’ve been geocaching off and on for a few years and I love this idea. My thoughts...why make it a competition? Overlanding is about the journey not the destination correct? I’ve spent hours looking for a little plastic container just so I can log my name only to give up. How about, if you know of an awesome local look out, waterfall, trail, etc place the coordinates so one of the members can find it take and IG worthy selfie, log it, and move on. No need a container or an actual cache. There’s usually crap in them any ways. Maybe have a trackable nailed to a sign post for proof or something.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
We ought to make it more interesting....roughly 17,000+ members on here, each member chips in $1 and a designated person geocaches a cashiers check in a mason jar somewhere in the US and gives one clue a day until its found.
There’s a book about that...

Reactions: HeliSniper

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the government could get in on this...they release a deadly lab made virus and geocache 1 million vaccines and give clues as to where they are hidden

Mitch&TigaB

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Medical Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Burright
Member #

Service Branch
US Air Force
That's the purpose of Geocaching. To take people out to see places of interest is what it's about. I'm not sure Geocaching encourages financial gain as part of their ethics. My belief is that if word got out that money was being hidden in caches, then more and more would be "muggled" (Geocaching term)
I agree that Geocaching would not encourage money be exchanged. I like the idea of an OB coupon or something on those lines.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
  • [/QUOTE]
Rather than CASH, which could create it's own set of problems, I think some CUSTOM SWAG, or tee shirts, or sweatshirts, or camp gear would be better. Maybe a special redeemable coupon to the OB store. This would also keep it in house and more manageable in cost.

EDIT: 06/8/20

I brought this up in post #8 above, in April of last year in response to incentives for those over lander Geo-people who do it. I wonder how peoples opinions have peculated about this subject?

**** Seeing that the 1 million dollar chest was just found,(jewels,gold,precious stones-10 year +) that multiples of people had searched so long for (4 died). My idea above would keep a search more......IN HOUSE, so to speak, and keep it more of a adventure, rather than a monetary quest.

I really like the OB coupon idea. Use a noted serial number to track how many are printed and how many are redeemed and from where (where the coupon was located) :sunglasses:.....make them kind of exclusive, like the challenge coins are....RARE but obtainable:grinning: One of those ADVENTURE IS NECESSARY kind of things used for some motivation if so needed, besides the fun aspect part.:grinning:
Post 61 is cool also,....simple and inexpensive.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I will be traveling down to AZ in a couple weeks and and taking my time, plan on placing some caches along the way and at some other places as we meander along.....

Reactions: Aussie571

loyotadisa

Rank 0

Contributor I

FRANCE
First Name
loha
Last Name
bitadia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM
I should be dropping my first cache sometime this week on the NMBDR (New Mexico BDR). I'll start the treasure hunt in one of the forum pages, so if you are interested in hunting for it, keep a watch out for details.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoGreg

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Simi Valley, CA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Lovell
Member #

after 18 years and 31 thousand finds, 1390 FTF, 49 states and 7 countries with a min of 7 finds per calendar day, finally got tired of stopping every .10 miles driving down road

gcprofile.jpg
gc calendar.jpg

Cosmic Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hercules, CA, USA
First Name
CHRIS
Last Name
CHARTRAND
Member #

SO cool... never even crossed my mind to overlap geocaching with overlanding... seems obvious now, geez. why not create OB geocache groups through the forums per a given area or state? This would allow people to search in regions that they are realistically willing to venture to, and thus keep the group size more manageable.

Reactions: Jim SoG