Overland Bound Cache 10 (OBC10): Panama Canal....NOT!

• HTML tutorial

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
OBC10:

WARNING! Snakes, Spiders and Scorpions all around
....Ask how I know LOL.

This one is: Panama Canal....NOT!

Located at: N 39.599040, W 119.327286

Hint: Under rocks in a rock pile

The Truckee Canal is a Berm and Trench Conveyance that runs roughly 32 miles from Derby Dam along interstate 80 to Fernley, then crosses the desert along Highway 50 Alternate to Lahontan Reservoir near highway 50 in Churchill County. The canal delivers water to users along the Truckee River, Fernley, Hazen, Swingle Bench, and finally terminates at Lahontan Reservoir, for use to supplement flows from the Carson River to the water users in the Lahontan Valley on the Lower Carson River.

In 1903, the newly-formed Reclamation Service began construction on Derby Dam about 20 miles downstream from Reno on the Truckee River. Derby Dam (US Reclamation Service Project #1) was completed in 1905. Water was then diverted from the Truckee River through the Truckee. In 1911, the Reclamation Service began construction on Lahontan Dam which was officially dedicated as complete in 1915.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt L.

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
You can bet I am doing this geocache next trip out to Sacramento to see my son I have driven this exact route numerous times just because and now I have a reason