Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Nir
Last Name
S
Hi Guys,

I am a beginner overlander and I wanted some recommendations for trails in Colorado for a 3 days 2 night trip. I am looking for a easy to moderate level trails and ideally to incorporate water , lakes & rivers. I also have been searching a bit and I found this website https://www.trailsoffroad.com and I wanted to know if you think it’s a good source and if you have any other sources you think would be good for me.

Thank you,

Nir

Reactions: duncanshannon

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Hey guys - Just moved from Colorado to Seattle but i explored all over the SW. Where in particular are you looking to go? Happy to give some direction. This book was helpful as i was exploring -
I have been told there is a way to go from Pagosa Springs to Lake city, via mountain trail. Do you know of any such route?

Shay

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Nir
Last Name
S
Hey guys - Just moved from Colorado to Seattle but i explored all over the SW. Where in particular are you looking to go? Happy to give some direction. This book was helpful as i was exploring -
Thank you I just ordered it. I saw that thier is a 4th edition so I got that. I appreicate it.

Enthusiast III

Texas Hill Country
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Greenberg
I've a couple of options for you in central Colorado.
  • Marshall Pass Road - Begin in Poncha Junction and head south on US 285 to Mears Junction. Follows the old narrow gauge RR grade over the Continental Divide. You can extend westward by turning right when you get to Sargents and then left on 888 to FR 887 which goes over Black Sage Pass, into very scenic Waunita Park. Continue over Waunita Pass into the quaint town of Pitkin. From there, you can take the blacktop back down to US 50, or continue on FR 765 over Cumberland Pass into Tincup and Taylor Park. From there, you can return over the recently paved Cottonwood Pass, or drive down the Taylor River Canyon into Gunnison via CR 742.
  • Paradise Divide - If you're coming down from Taylor Park, turn right at Jack's Cabin Cutoff (813, right after you pass Harmel's Resort). It cuts across the mountain to the highway (CO 135) from Gunnison to Crested Butte. When you get to Crested Butte, continue up Slate River Road and up to Paradise Divide. Return via Schofield Pass, Emerald Lake and Gothic.
All of these routes can be done in 2WD. You'll be on dirt most of the time.

Plenty of dispersed camping options along Marshall Pass Road, and all throughout the route between Black Sage Pass and Taylor Park.

urbanarmed

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Pueblo West, CO, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Chase
Member #

• Marshall Pass Road - Begin in Poncha Junction and head south on US 285 to Mears Junction. Follows the old narrow gauge RR grade over the Continental Divide. You can extend westward by turning right when you get to Sargents and then left on 888 to FR 887 which goes over Black Sage Pass, into very scenic Waunita Park. Continue over Waunita Pass into the quaint town of Pitkin. From there, you can take the blacktop back down to US 50, or continue on FR 765 over Cumberland Pass into Tincup and Taylor Park. From there, you can return over the recently paved Cottonwood Pass, or drive down the Taylor River Canyon into Gunnison via CR 742.
  • Paradise Divide - If you're coming down from Taylor Park, turn right at Jack's Cabin Cutoff (813, right after you pass Harmel's Resort). It cuts across the mountain to the highway (CO 135) from Gunnison to Crested Butte. When you get to Crested Butte, continue up Slate River Road and up to Paradise Divide. Return via Schofield Pass, Emerald Lake and Gothic.

Plenty of dispersed camping options along Marshall Pass Road, and all throughout the route between Black Sage Pass and Taylor Park.
Thank you for this!
I just moved to Colorado and have been looking for routes to go on, I'll be giving this a shot!

Cheers!

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

This looks an awesome resource.. thanks for sharing

Qaz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Qaz
Last Name
Mon
Member #

Oh cool! Thanks for the link to the book! We are always looking for trails that are good for kids and camping as well.

duncanshannon

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Duncan
Last Name
Shannon

I'm newer to colorado and new to the forum, so that is exactly what I'm looking for! thanks!

bumbleruck

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver, CO
First Name
David
Last Name
M
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm new to the state and have the same question... I'll look into those trails but what is the book being discussed? Link/image seems to be expired.

Shay

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Nir
Last Name
S
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm new to the state and have the same question... I'll look into those trails but what is the book being discussed? Link/image seems to be expired.
Welcome David, this is the link for the latest printed guide for Colorado that I have found:

Reactions: bumbleruck

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
well worth the purchase, I keep it in our camper and reference during trip planning. Not sure what part of CO you're in, but Twin Lakes area is nice, scenic, peaceful.

Mooserds

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

For many of us, there is no link or photo of the book that seems to be highly regarded. Can someone just type the full name of the book so we can google it. Thanks.

tw1st3d5

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florissant, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kee
Member #

Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails, 4th Edition.

I'm guessing you have an ad blocker that blocks the way the forum links to Amazon. I used to have the same problem till I whitelisted it.