First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Full size in deed.
I haven't seen everyones rig on here but it's interesting to see so few older rigs or even full size newer trucks.
They dont make um like yours anymore. I have an 84 Dodge Ram 250 4x4 long bed. If it were a short bed I would be off roading it.
I prefer a short bed or my Land Rover Discover 2 -100" wheel base for severe off road service. You have a full time 4x4 don't you. Is it a short bed ? Do you have any pictures of it ?
It is a shame more older rigs are not being shown here. I think its because a lot, maybe the majority of guys on OB are older and want the modern stuff because of the electronics. I'm old but I prefer the old school because I know them better and not fond of electronic anything. To each his own vise I say.

Attachments

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

They dont make um like yours anymore. I have an 84 Dodge Ram 250 4x4 long bed. If it were a short bed I would be off roading it.
I prefer a short bed or my Land Rover Discover 2 -100" wheel base for severe off road service. You have a full time 4x4 don't you. Is it a short bed ? Do you have any pictures of it ?
I have pictures here through the thread. I'll post one from last summer and this summer.
It is a full time 4 wheel drive, Dana 40 front, Dana 60 rear, 8ft bed. I do not do short beds. I like being able to use my truck. If he wasn't down we already would have been on the trails.
Have you tried taking your 84 down old forest service roads? Those can be pretty mild.

I forgot to Add some bits: I have not pulled the engine. I have wanting to and have not gotten a chance.
I bought a New Red Top Optima. I wanted something good.
I go two Near New Toyo M/Ts on the back. They need to see some dirt. At least a gravel road.
20190614_161928.jpg20190907_212949.jpg

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have pictures here through the thread. I'll post one from last summer and this summer.
It is a full time 4 wheel drive, Dana 40 front, Dana 60 rear, 8ft bed. I do not do short beds. I like being able to use my truck. If he wasn't down we already would have been on the trails.
Have you tried taking your 84 down old forest service roads? Those can be pretty mild.

I forgot to Add some bits: I have not pulled the engine. I have wanting to and have not gotten a chance.
I bought a New Red Top Optima. I wanted something good.
I go two Near New Toyo M/Ts on the back. They need to see some dirt. At least a gravel road.
View attachment 117587View attachment 117588
It takes so much time and money to fix the old trucks and you have done your share of repairs up to now. Your almost there and when you get there it will last you a long time with all those new parts.
I don't know why but my front diff is a dana 60 and the rear is dana 80 positrac. It has the 360 ci with a 650 double pumper Holly that replaced a 750 Rochester that wouldn't stop leaking gas out of the bowls in the manifold over night. It was a one owner when I bought it from a man who lived in WA. It had 116,000 on the odometer when I bought it in 2004. It has 126,000 now and runs like a top. Trans is leaking some and probably needs a look at but isn't giving me any trouble. The drive shaft U joints are clacking a little and need replacing, at least one. Tires and wheel came from a new 2005 dodge 2500 and are still like new. I have in my garage a new set of 315/70R/16 pro comp AT tires and new set of steel wheels ready to go but need a 2" lift on the old front springs in order for the tires to clear the fenders when turning. I do take it on some serious trails and it does real well.

The reason I said I like short beds was because of the double rear drive shaft and u joints on long beds that damage easily in rocky terrane. When I can put the new taller tires on I wont worry as much because it has good ground clearance as is and the tires will give it almost 2 " more with the spring fix. I've been spending my money and time on the Land Rover because of the gas mileage is almost twice as good for the long trips. I'll use the Dodge for the short trips of 200 miles or so since it get about 9-10 mpg. Picture attached.

Attachments

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

Nice Rigs Lanlubber. Dana 80 is pretty beefy for a 3/4 ton. If you have 4 wheel drive, how do you have a 2 piece driveshaft? I have a one piece.
I hear you on the gas millage, I am glad mine has two tanks. 44 gallons and 10-11 Smiles per gallon.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Nice Rigs Lanlubber. Dana 80 is pretty beefy for a 3/4 ton. If you have 4 wheel drive, how do you have a 2 piece driveshaft? I have a one piece.
I hear you on the gas millage, I am glad mine has two tanks. 44 gallons and 10-11 Smiles per gallon.
Austin, I think I miss stated about the rear drive shaft. I think it's called a carrier bearing if it even has one. I am a little embarrassed to say I have never been under the rear section of my truck. The truck I sold to buy the Dodge was long bed Ford 2 wheel drive truck. It had carriers bearings on the rear shaft. Because my Dodge is a 4x4 it may not have the two piece shaft and if that is the case I am mistaken and a little angry because I have been using the excuse of a two piece shaft as a reason I didn't want to off road in as my main rig. I am going to have to find out exactly what that situation is. Thank you for bringing that up. If I were your age I would know because I would be able to crawl under it to look. The only time I have been under that truck was about 5 years ago to change the starter. I was in better health then and did all my own mechanic'ng. I cant anymore.

Thanks for pointing that out to me, I wouldn't have found out until I take it in the get the clanking u joint fixed. I hope you get your rig up and running again soon. I'm coming out to the west coast sometime soon because I have a son in Lake Sammamish WA. , and a daughter in Coos Bay OR. I need to visit. Also I want to meet up with Vance @4wheelspulling in that neighborhood.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Austin, I think I miss stated about the rear drive shaft. I think it's called a carrier bearing if it even has one. I am a little embarrassed to say I have never been under the rear section of my truck. The truck I sold to buy the Dodge was long bed Ford 2 wheel drive truck. It had carriers bearings on the rear shaft. Because my Dodge is a 4x4 it may not have the two piece shaft and if that is the case I am mistaken and a little angry because I have been using the excuse of a two piece shaft as a reason I didn't want to off road in as my main rig. I am going to have to find out exactly what that situation is. Thank you for bringing that up. If I were your age I would know because I would be able to crawl under it to look. The only time I have been under that truck was about 5 years ago to change the starter. I was in better health then and did all my own mechanic'ng. I cant anymore.

Thanks for pointing that out to me, I wouldn't have found out until I take it in the get the clanking u joint fixed. I hope you get your rig up and running again soon. I'm coming out to the west coast sometime soon because I have a son in Lake Sammamish WA. , and a daughter in Coos Bay OR. I need to visit. Also I want to meet up with Vance @4wheelspulling in that neighborhood.
Lanlubber,
You are welcome anytime, hope you make it up here soon to WA. Your Dodge W200 should Not have the Two piece drive shaft with carrier bearing? Yes, I would love to see and drive your Dodge! Someday when you become a rich Man, money wise, you could change out that Rochester Carburetor for a Holly Advenger Carb. They come with off-road floats, and just seem to work well, at least for me! In my mind, a truck like yours is right up there with any LandCruiser before 97’,on my wish list. Vance.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Vance, I replaced the Rockchester carb several years ago for a 650 Holly double pumper with the proper floats new from a racing boat dealer in Florida. Paid $550 for that dude. I had it re-jetted from what he had in it. I went to much smaller jets and think I could go down a bit more since I see what I think is too much black carbon on the tail pipe. I love this old truck and really haven't been giving it the attention it needs since I bought the LRD2. I had an electrical problem with it for four years that no one could seem to fix.

I rewired almost everything under the hood trying to fix the problem over the years and I guess I must have done something right about 6 months ago and it's running fine now. There is still a drain on the battery somewhere I haven't found and neither has anyone else that knows more than I do about electronics. I bought it because it didn't have any sort of computer but it has bumfuzzled me for almost 15 years since I bought it. If I drive it everyday no problems but I keep a solar battery charger on it when I'm not driving it or the battery will be dead in a week. The thing that has always bothered me about the truck is that no one has altered any wiring on the truck at all until I started doing it in the process of trying to find the one problem.

This is what it would do. I'd go start the truck at whatever time of day it was. It started fine, and quickly, once I set the choke, no excess cranking. I'd drive to town, go in a store for 10 minutes, come out to start the truck and it would not turn over fast enough to start the engine. It sounded like a almost dead battery. I would bum a jump start and it fired right up. Had the battery checked and it was okay. Even after putting on all new cables, new ignitions switch, new relay switch, new battery, new starter (twice) , new fuse-able links where it had them previously, new alternator, and a few more devises under the hood and on the steering column., it would do the same thing. Finally I had a half ass mechanic have a look at something on the transmission selector under the car I suspected might have something to do with the ignition switch on the column, he made an adjustment on that linkage and the problem went away as far as it not starting after being driven. That one problem has been hounding me on that truck since 2008 and is the reason I have only driven it 10,000 miles in 15 years. I couldn't trust it to go to far from home, although I did manage two trips to El Paso (156 miles each way) on two occasions over the years. Both times something went wrong with an electrical part. I'm starting to trust it now and only want a tranny tune up before I dare take it out in the boondocks alone. :fearful:

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

Lanlubber, do you not have a crawler on wheels? :D
I hear you on the electrical issues. I end up swapping the ignition module or the voltage regulator and the problem is fixed. Given my truck is 78, they might have changed and add over the years.
I think I have a battery drain. I am not sure.
I posted picture of my rear and front drivelines in this post. They both are one piece, front has double u-joint.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Lanlubber,
You are welcome anytime, hope you make it up here soon to WA. Your Dodge W200 should Not have the Two piece drive shaft with carrier bearing? Yes, I would love to see and drive your Dodge! Someday when you become a rich Man, money wise, you could change out that Rochester Carburetor for a Holly Advenger Carb. They come with off-road floats, and just seem to work well, at least for me! In my mind, a truck like yours is right up there with any LandCruiser before 97’,on my wish list. Vance.
Vance , my truck is a 1984 Dodge Ram 250 4x4 with the 360 c.i. engine and three speed auto tranny. My hub lock-unlock electronically from inside the cab. It has 410 to 1 gearing with factory Posi unit in the rear and open in the front. It came with one ton front and rear axels even though it is a 3/4 ton truck. Top speed on this old gal is 80 mph and that's it but it will climb walls all day (or rocks). The truck is posted on this thread on page #2 post #21. My LRD2 and Scamp are posted also om post # 23 . I do hope to see you sometime later in the year and thanks for the welcome sign.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Lanlubber, do you not have a crawler on wheels? :D
I hear you on the electrical issues. I end up swapping the ignition module or the voltage regulator and the problem is fixed. Given my truck is 78, they might have changed and add over the years.
I think I have a battery drain. I am not sure.
I posted picture of my rear and front drivelines in this post. They both are one piece, front has double u-joint.
Austin I have changed the ignition module and the voltage regulator and relays. At the time I changed them it didn't help. I don't have a good place to work on my cars. No concrete or asphalt paving anywhere, just gravely dirt and huge black ants everywhere. I don't have a garage or carport with paving either. Before my car wreck I could get around pretty good but now I have a bunch of problems that keep me from doing the work myself other than little things. I don't think there are a lot of differences in our trucks other than little things like mine not being full time 4 wheel drive and our engines are different c.i. displacement, but it's still the same basic engine and the parts are mostly interchangeable. I might have bigger Spicers that yours, but yours are big enough for your horsepower and more. I haven't checked thoroughly enough but the electrical drain might be in the door light switch , interior light, not working radio, cigarette liter short, or some little thing like that, that is hard to find and drives you crazy. I havent seen any of your drive line post here yet.

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

I have a 360, dama 40 4.09 front and Dana 60 4.10 rear.
Ants are a pain. Like electrical work.
You do what you can and that is okay. Bummer about having no hard solid surfaces.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have a 360, dama 40 4.09 front and Dana 60 4.10 rear.
Ants are a pain. Like electrical work.
You do what you can and that is okay. Bummer about having no hard solid surfaces.
I'm planning to pour a small concrete pad under my carport soon. I just have to many projects going that require a solid work surface.
I built the carport on a budget and just never got around to pouring a slab. When you live in the country you can always find you need something and some more than others.
After my wife died 8 years ago I kinda gave up on the home improvements and concentrated on building my chicken pens and coops and just maintaining. Then I got T boned by a lady in her Malibu doing close to 60 mph and that almost killed me, and should have if I had not been in my old 86 Lincoln town car that was built like a battle ship. Just been coasting till late last year when I decided to hit the road and wanted something substantial to do it in. That's where I am now !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Glad you are staying active.
Thanks, I'm trying cause I don't like the other alternatives. BTW some of your activities remind me of my youth.
Many jobs, many places, many goals in life. An active life is the only way to do it. An outdoors life is staying in tune with nature and God.
You seem to be doing it !

Reactions: Buzzard13

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Vance, I replaced the Rockchester carb several years ago for a 650 Holly double pumper with the proper floats new from a racing boat dealer in Florida. Paid $550 for that dude. I had it re-jetted from what he had in it. I went to much smaller jets and think I could go down a bit more since I see what I think is too much black carbon on the tail pipe. I love this old truck and really haven't been giving it the attention it needs since I bought the LRD2. I had an electrical problem with it for four years that no one could seem to fix.

I rewired almost everything under the hood trying to fix the problem over the years and I guess I must have done something right about 6 months ago and it's running fine now. There is still a drain on the battery somewhere I haven't found and neither has anyone else that knows more than I do about electronics. I bought it because it didn't have any sort of computer but it has bumfuzzled me for almost 15 years since I bought it. If I drive it everyday no problems but I keep a solar battery charger on it when I'm not driving it or the battery will be dead in a week. The thing that has always bothered me about the truck is that no one has altered any wiring on the truck at all until I started doing it in the process of trying to find the one problem.

This is what it would do. I'd go start the truck at whatever time of day it was. It started fine, and quickly, once I set the choke, no excess cranking. I'd drive to town, go in a store for 10 minutes, come out to start the truck and it would not turn over fast enough to start the engine. It sounded like a almost dead battery. I would bum a jump start and it fired right up. Had the battery checked and it was okay. Even after putting on all new cables, new ignitions switch, new relay switch, new battery, new starter (twice) , new fuse-able links where it had them previously, new alternator, and a few more devises under the hood and on the steering column., it would do the same thing. Finally I had a half ass mechanic have a look at something on the transmission selector under the car I suspected might have something to do with the ignition switch on the column, he made an adjustment on that linkage and the problem went away as far as it not starting after being driven. That one problem has been hounding me on that truck since 2008 and is the reason I have only driven it 10,000 miles in 15 years. I couldn't trust it to go to far from home, although I did manage two trips to El Paso (156 miles each way) on two occasions over the years. Both times something went wrong with an electrical part. I'm starting to trust it now and only want a tranny tune up before I dare take it out in the boondocks alone. :fearful:
Landlubber,
I feel your pain on the electric Gremlins. Seems like that was part of the game on Dodges! If I had to guess, after the other things you have done, it’s could be the connection at the fire wall. That was common problem spot. I see in your picture of your truck you are missing the Ram hood head thing that lots seem to steal! To me, you’re truck looks great!

Just a thought, If you fly into Seattle, visiting your son, I could meet you there for a visit. Might even talk me into a trip to Coos Bay, OR. Just never know? Vance.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Landlubber,
I feel your pain on the electric Gremlins. Seems like that was part of the game on Dodges! If I had to guess, after the other things you have done, it’s could be the connection at the fire wall. That was common problem spot. I see in your picture of your truck you are missing the Ram hood head thing that lots seem to steal! To me, you’re truck looks great!

Just a thought, If you fly into Seattle, visiting your son, I could meet you there for a visit. Might even talk me into a trip to Coos Bay, OR. Just never know? Vance.
I did that firewall plug thing several times when I was first looking for my starting problems. It turned out that the starting problem was in the starter even though it was new. The original starter broke a bindex spring. The replacement starter was the starter that wouldn't work after the start up unless it sat for a couple of hours. Stubborn me insisted it was something else because a new starter wouldn't do that. After changing out almost everything out for new stuff, I jerked the starter and took it in to be checked.
They gave me starter # 3, put it on and that ended the original problem of not starting. Then after a few days, it wouldn't even start at all after the first start up and I had my son pull me home twice when it did that to me at the service station. A jump start wouldn't work. I didn't seem to have any ignition. That's when I decided it had to be on the shifter linkage under the truck on the side of the transmission. I had a guy adjust it and its worked every since then. I think it has worn bushings on the linkage but it's holding up for the time bring. All of what I'm telling you was over a three year span. It sat for months at a time between hopeful fixes until the next attempt. That is shy I bought the LRD2. I wanted something I could trust. I do trust the Dodge now but still going to take it to transmission shop for tune up, selector switch and linkage fix.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey all its nice seeing other old Dodges out there just thought Id share a couple pics of my 67 d200 long bed camper special factory 383 727 original motor not original trans power steering and brakes and alot of other options for that year almost all of them View attachment 117897View attachment 117898View attachment 117899View attachment 117900View attachment 117901
Absolutely great truck. Is she rust free ? The 383 in my opinion is one of the best engines ever built. I had a bought new 66 Dodge station wagon but it had the old school 318 - 2 barrel carb. I loved that Dodge wagon, it was a mid size they called 440. Thanks for sharing.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hey all its nice seeing other old Dodges out there just thought Id share a couple pics of my 67 d200 long bed camper special factory 383 727 original motor not original trans power steering and brakes and alot of other options for that year almost all of them View attachment 117897View attachment 117898View attachment 117899View attachment 117900View attachment 117901
B-R,
Sweet truck! You have a fun ride there! Thanks for sharing the pictures of your truck. Maybe, because I am older, but I love how the older trucks were something you could still work on your self. Even if you did have to work on them more, still don’t have to spend Thousands to fix most things! Vance.

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

Absolutely great truck. Is she rust free ? The 383 in my opinion is one of the best engines ever built. I had a bought new 66 Dodge station wagon but it had the old school 318 - 2 barrel carb. I loved that Dodge wagon, it was a mid size they called 440. Thanks for sharing.
No not rust free but not horrible either was my daily driver for a few years but has been sitting under the carport for a few years now but moving up on the project list recently got a America auto wire kit for it I have completely rewire a couple vehicles before (67 camaro and a 55 chevy ) so the old truck shouldn't be a problem