Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

In the last four years I've done some things to the truck when money allows. Most recently was the extra tank, and fuel selector valve, new master cylinder, spark plug wires and new carb. Yesterday I got my front driveline back from being rebuilt. I broke one on the way here and the original the truck came with wore out before I went down to Arizona last August. That wore out one was 'junk' by the driveline guy back in Spokane, so he took the one my dad found in a wreaking yard and my old one and made one good one. He even Painted it! I could smell it! Now I got to find my missing bolt and tune the carb and I'll be on the road. Next up exhaust manifold gaskets.
I am so ready to get back behind the wheel.

Attachments

E

expeditionnorth

glad to hear the build is coming along nicely
love that old body style
I too have a full size rig which presents its own overlanding challenges, glad to see I'm not alone

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

I've been busy and lazy recently. Been able to do some work on the truck though that has me happy.
So took the hood off to replace the old worn out exhaust manifolds. makes it quieter for sure. Seeing my radiator and battery wiggle down the dirt road was unnerving but like every other day they stayed put.
20160717_181603(0).jpgWhile I was crawling around underneath I grabbed the drag link to pull me under and the thing decided to twist. Joints were shot just like my tie ends were once. Unplanned expense but now I don't have to worry, even though I drove to town with the nuts loose, I had to have the shop pull and replace it.
20160801_184948.jpg
Got the radio and speaker hooked up finally. Old one when in retirement, It was pretty shot. It will be nice to have tunes again once I get out of Mammoth.
20160624_164541.jpg
New drive line before I put it in About a month ago. Also had the engine clean about a month ago too.
20160705_164218.jpg
I going to Bozeman on the 11th to get the stripped bolt repaired so the tranny stops leaking. If cash allows I have them install the tranny cooler while everything is drained. Also when cash allows I'm getting the annoying dents pulled back out. Get a filler neck for the rear tank and a skid plate also for the rear tank are also in the works. New tire most likely won't come till I'm down in Vegas.
For now thats what I got. Take Care Guys And God Bless!

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

Been awhile, haven't done much.
Went to Vegas, lived in my truck, Fired my shot gun for the First time on Christmas.
Worked on a farm till may now I'm back in Yellowstone.
Truck got me up here but the torque converter drains out because the pump is bad so it leaks. I'm not driving it around the park. Waiting to get $1300 to get it fixed.

I also want to get the T-case rebuilt. The rear drive line I will get rebuilt when I get back to Spokane.
Got to get new bolts for the exhaust Manifolds, they're loud again.
Radio doesn't get signal, need a nut and such for the antennae so I'm going to get a new whole new antennae latter.

I hooked up the under-bed tank before I left but it didn't work on the way home. Father helped me out. I ended up having a few lines hooked up wrong, then we blew the line to the engine out with the air hose. I have to change the fuel filter after every time I run that tank down. Now just to get some fuel sending units :)

Also found out, while in Overton Nv, that my shocks are shot, not surprised, they are probably from 1978, like most things on the truck.

Got stuck in sand on the way to Yellowstone. Walked out the dessert, burnt and thirsty, but was able to flag down some Dirt Nuts that helped me out. Aired down and Locked the T-case in Low and crawled right out, no issues. Left the key on so they jumped me. Ended up dying in St. George. truck isn't charging, but easy fix. Ended up getting a new battery, both old ones were 5 years old, kept one, gave one for core.

New Toyos too this summer, I want my Tires to have teeth and my used ones are starting to crack. Getting tired of searching for used ones all the time; about $1000 for four Toyo Open Country M/Ts.

Thats the update, I'll get some pictures posted soon.
It don't matter what you Drive, As long as you are exploring safely.

Last edited:

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Like the way you keep the old one running! Sounds like the story of my vehicles fix today and see what happens tomorrow.

At least we own them and can park them to wait till we can fix them - simple and easy!

Good luck with your ventures and keeping things going, Lord Bless your travels!

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

Yellowstone Update
Got the tranns rebuilt, going for a test drive later today (8-22) They replaced clutch discs and bands and the front pump seal. I had thought it was the front pump but he said they don't go out very often. So go that done for way cheaper than thought. He Looked over the T-case, I don't think there was anything wrong with that.
No tires yet but my current ones are doing fine.
Still need Exhaust bolts and . . . .
But I haven't broken anything, well haven't been pushing it because of the trann, Well thats over. ;)
Heading to Cal City here shortly for Wasteland Weekend, Maybe I'll pass one of you guys on the road.
Seen a lot of overlanders around but I never see any badges on the fenders. one day I'll find you guys in the dirt.
Thanks for the support and enjoy the view.

My Route: https://goo.gl/maps/LNBBkVVH3PR2

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

So the Tranns job was a flop. another tranns guy said that he must have only done half of the clutches when he rebuilt it. At least he slowed the leak by fixing the front pump seal. I got down to Overton fine and all just within a couple of weeks the pan gasket blew and silly me pushed it too far and broke the retaining ring to a servo. So I am due to for a rebuild by a actual shop. $1600 is their quote, But I can save roughly $500 dropping it myself, but I am not putting any money into it till I return from my summer trip to Finland.
Before all this happened I got a flat and instead of buying a used one and dealing with used ones, like I have been, I dropped $520 on 2 Toyo M/Ts. Now my truck is sitting with brand new tires, waiting. Well I am ready at least.
So there won't be much for info in at least 6-8 months.

In Yellowstone I was at Mammoth, Hospitality and Fast Food.
Thanks for the Advice guys I'll catch you on the Trail.

Madbodhi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Mayville WI
Member #

Love the old Dodge trucks. Currently have 2. A 73 W100 with 360/NP435/NP205 I've been working on. Also a 78 W200 Crewcab that was a military truck then Fire Department. A lot of these old Dodges have issues with the wiring so bypassing the ammeter is the first thing I do. The wiring on the fire truck was a nightmare from years of accessories being tied in and removed. Ended up just pulling most of the underhood wiring and converting it to (Mopar purists,STOP READING)
G.M. HEI ignition.

10295787_635426459867375_1089564430425282591_n.jpg
73 Before
10565034_680174882059199_7116668865291561909_n.jpg
Rocker replacement
12002228_879174255492593_3340704341679427821_n.jpg
73 Current
used-1978-dodge-w200-4wdpickup-1151-6281780-1-640.JPG
78 crew

Atlastrekker

Rank 0

Traveler I

This one brings back a ton of fond memories from my first 4x4. I had a 78 w100 "power wagon" that took me everywhere, but it also broke quite a lot as well. I actually think that it was a good thing, because I didn't have the funds to pay others to fix things so I learned to do it myself.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I' sure you will lok back on yours with fond memories as well.

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

that box on your 78, is that 6' or 8'. hard to find them quad cab 8'ers.
the only way to tell 77 from 78 is the turn lights. Orange lens was standard in 78 but Dodge decided to use up the old clear ones first. That is what I got, my truck being an early 78. I like the clear over the amber.

I enjoy my truck. It sits now Though needing a rebuilt Tranns. while that is out I'll pull the motor and give it an over due cleaning, along with gaskets and seals.
For now I wait; this summer I plan on going to Finland, upon return I'll find work and start saving again. Till then keep the trails clean and rest in the sunset.

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

So I am working this Summer and fixing the truck; Finland is taking a back seat for now.

The List:
Transmission Rebuilt
T-Case Rebuilt
Rear Drive Line Rebuilt
Breather put in
New Transmission Mounts
Oil Leak fixed on the back of the block
Transmission Cooler bought and installed

I'll update the cost when The shop is done with him.
This is a necessary evil, I could do just the trans, then go back in for everything else, but I rather just do it now and get it over with. I lifted the truck and blocked it so that the tires would hang. Pretty neat seeing the leaf springs relaxed.

Other than dragging my feet, working, Hacked Facebook Accounts and 100+ degree Nevada Weather, Not much going on.

101_0932.JPG101_0920.JPG101_0924.JPG 101_0926.JPG

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

Yeah Ha Ha.
God Has other plans.
I got the Trans fixed, hope so, couldn't really get the truck up to speed seeing how the carb needed a rebuild after sitting. Then I blew a couple U-joints, one on the driver side front axle and one on the rear end of the rear driveshaft.
So I plan on Towing him home to Spokane and letting him sit for a while till I can get funds to rebuild both axles and rear driveshaft.
I am going to college in Monroe Wa, as well.
Slowly I will be able to start wheeling again.

Meanwhile, it snowed in Southern Nevada.
20190221_063039.jpg

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

Update September 2019

I loaded up Buddy on the largest Trailer Uhaul had, truck packed, 15' Uhaul packed and 3 chickens and one rooster in the back of the pickup. The Chickens made it home then a damn racoon got them.
I did not want to hot ball home but the weather had other plans. it was 30-36 degrees at night from Southern Utah to Southern Montana in May.
I drove through The Grand Tetons National Park and Yellowstone National Park.
I got work, did little things on the truck. Then when work closed for the Season I got to work on the truck.
First was the Master Cylinder and booster, that was messing up the Carb.
The Rear Drive Line was Also Rebuilt.
I moved it farther into the back yard, jacked the front end up on jack stands and proceeded to remove the Driver Side Axle Shaft.
New U-Joint from a shop, took the rotor in to have the hub taken off, a shop said the rotor was toast, so I bought new Rotors. Shop removes Hub and bearings to put onto new rotor, Finds out Bearings are bad. Now I know where the grease fittings are for the hub.
Emptied, cleaned and filled front and rear diffs.
Bolted on A Pick n Pull Bumper
And replaced Distributor. Trustworthy Mechanics, (my Father and his long time Friend) both suggested to replace it because it might be worn.
I am taking him out to A local Car Show her in Spokane Wa, then tearing him down again. Father think the Crossover in the Intake Manifold is pluged and so because it is not getting hot, the choke is not pulling off.

Excited to get to drive him again after a nearly a year.

20190517_130500.jpg20190521_181930.jpg20190716_102540.jpg20190808_094315.jpg20190904_104139.jpg20190824_154814.jpg20190828_111530.jpg20190828_111718.jpg20190906_140426.jpg20190910_103412.jpg20190910_111213.jpg20190903_185504.jpg

Attachments