• HTML tutorial

bee_CO

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bee
Last Name
Bee
Busy got a new first aid kit for my truck, the "Outback" from Outer Limit Supply.

It comes in a nice waterproof/airtight hard case, and I got the optional mounting plate /straps, though I don't yet know where I'll mount it.

It comes well stocked, meets and exceeds the requirements for a ANSI Z308.1-2015 Class B kit.

However, the quantities required for class B are a bit weird, and excessive, at least for my uses. I don't see the need to carry 25 burn gels and 50 antiseptic wipes, etc, so I decided to cut the quantities of some things to Class A minimums, to save space for my additions, leaving me with plenty of refills at home.
It's worth noting that unless you need to comply for business reasons, having a kit that meets the ANSI list is not required. However, it gives you a pretty good starting point.
The included components of the Outer Limit Supply "Outback" kit was a great start, First aid kits are rarely a "one size fits all" item. The size and contents should match your space, usage, and skills.

The box, with the optional mounting bracket/straps.

This is every thing it came with before I started modifying.

Full list of what I ended up putting into the box.
2- 5"x9" Abdominal Pads
12 -4"x4" Gauze Pads
1- 4" Rolled Gauzes
2- 2" Rolled Gauzes
1- Kerlix Gauze Roll, 4.5" x 4.1yd
1- Israeli Emergency Bandage - 6"
1- Celox Wound Treatment
1- SWAT-T Tourniquet

2- Instant Ice Pack
1- Instant Hot Pack

4- Pair Exam Gloves
10- Hand Sanitizer Pouch
1- 4oz Sterile Eye Wash
2- Eye Pads
1- Triangle Bandage w/ Safety Pin
1- Wilderness First Aid Booklet
1- SAM Splint
1- Paramedic Shears
1- Adult/Child CPR Mask
4- 3"x3" Gauze Pads
1- 4"x 4" Cool Blaze Burn Dressing
1- 2" Elastic Wrap Bandges
1- CoFlex LF2 Cohesive Tape, 2" x 5yd
1- Yellow 12hr Glow Stick
1- Adhesive Tape, 1" x 10yds
10- Sooth A Sting Swabs
10- Antiseptic Wipes

5- Cetafen (Tylenol/Non-Asprin)
5- Histaprin (Antihistamine)
5- Exaprin (NSAID)
5- Diotame Tablets
5- Medi Lyte
5 -Ibuprofin
5- Asprin

16- Elastic Adhesive Bandages 1" x 3"
5- XL Eleastic Fingertip Bandages
5- Elastic Patch Bandages
10- Butterfly Closures
5- Knuckle Bandges
6- 2"x3" Moleskin
2- Liquid Skin Bandage

1- Insta Glucose (31 gram)
1- Metal Tweezers
1- Celox Wound Treatment
1- Clif Gel Shot
1- Permanent Marker
10- Triple Biotic Ointment
10- Cool Blaze Burn Gel

With the following exceptions, all of the above was included :
-replaced SAM Splint roll with a flat SAM Splint to save space
-replaced the 1/2" tape roll with 1" tape roll
Added:
-Israeli Bandage
-additional 4x4 gauze Pads
-Kerlix Gauze Roll
-sharpie
-instant hot pack
-2" CoFlex Cohesive tape
-Clif Gel Shot

I would still like to add a blood pressure cuff and stethoscope, notepad, Manual Suction kit, and NPAs(probably not enough room for an OPA set though). It's like to add a c collar but no way will that fit.

Last edited:

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
Makes me think about needing to update/upgrade my setup. Looks like you have a great kit going with that. Thanks for the comprehensive list!

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

A pet peeve of mine is when companies keep the tourniquet in plastic wrap. In event of massive hemorrhage on yourself or someone else you might already have blood on your hands when is time to take the plastic off. Since it isn't a sterile item anyway it doesn't make sense to me. My rant aside that looks like a great kit.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I hear these are great kits, but not many places carry them.
I can get one one state away shipped to me.
I am surprised they do not have their kits on Amazon, a lot easier to get them that way.
Travis who builds these kits is a one man show like myself. It's a side business he started, as he saw a need, much like me with my barriers. Buy from his site you linked and your supporting him and family directly. He is a fireman/medic by trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Outer Limit Supply

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Travis who builds these kits is a one man show like myself. It's a side business he started, as he saw a need, much like me with my barriers. Buy from his site you linked and your supporting him and family directly. He is a fireman/medic by trade.
Thanks for the info on him.
I will call hopefully today and order the yellow kit.
Thinking I may be able to mount it on my back door by taking off one of the molle bags.

Reactions: ASNOBODY

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

The Weekend Warrior kit arrives today, and I hope to get it installed over the weekend.

Advocate II

A pet peeve of mine is when companies keep the tourniquet in plastic wrap. In event of massive hemorrhage on yourself or someone else you might already have blood on your hands when is time to take the plastic off. Since it isn't a sterile item anyway it doesn't make sense to me. My rant aside that looks like a great kit.
I couldn't agree more...coming from a Fire Medic perspective. It's like trying to start a roll of tape with a gloved hand...nearly impossible!!! This is one of the many reasons that we do not pack/set-up the first aid kits. We'd rather have the "End User" put their hands on each item and set the kit up in a manner that makes sense to them. Our hope is that there will not be a delay in treatment since an OLS FAK owner will know what is actually in their kit.

This concludes my rant too...thank you for the compliment. :blush::blush::blush:

Advocate II

Just in case anyone missed us at either of the Overland Expos:

Our new quick release mounting system is available & works with any of our crush, dust, and waterproof first aid kits. It’s also compatible with many of the other waterproof cases: Pelican, SKB, Sea Horse, etc

Check out the new site here: https://outerlimitsupply.com

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Need more of this stuff:
5- Cetafen (Tylenol/Non-Asprin)
5- Histaprin (Antihistamine)
5- Exaprin (NSAID)
5- Diotame Tablets
5- Medi Lyte
5 -Ibuprofin
5- Asprin

This is the most used out of the kit. I'd ditch the burn gel and glucose. Neither are very effective for the space they take. I've never once seen a person keep the glucose down or be able to swallow it. I'd also add technu wash to your kit.

What is your level of certified training? NPAs and neck collars aren't for the average joe.

I like to keep the tourniquet next to me in the driver position as well as an Israeli bandage and compressed gauze. If you have the training you might consider a decompression needle, surgical lube, scalpels, emergency dental kit.

TnWalrus

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Memphis, TN
Member #

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in. I'm a Paramedic and I've been in EMS for way too close to 30 years now, the last 20 as a fire medic (now LT.) for the city of Memphis TN. I make my own kits using zip lock bags and a small duffel. I've actually have a waterproof one, for when I'm running whitewater. I always tell people to keep stuff simple, and stock things you are going to use (band-aids, ibuprofen, Aspirin, Tylenol, Benadryl, HYDROCORTISONE CREAM because poison ivy sucks). Everything else should do double duty ie 4x4s, roller gauze, SAM splints, Ace wrap, emergency blanket, tape and triangular bandages. Some kind of wound cleaning supplies. Betadine can be mixed with water in a Nalgene bottle to make an excellent irrigation solution. I've been trained to suture, from working in the hospital, but I don't carry suture kits in the field. If I can't close it with a band aid, I use steristrips. Oh and get some good sheers, and a set of tweezers for splinters. All of these things can be gotten very inexpensively on Amazon, organized in zip lock bags, and thrown in a small duffle.

I don't carry anything really fancy. I don't have a tourniquet or fancy bandages. My reasoning is pretty simple. I've never had to use them. I have seen literally hundreds of gunshot wounds and stabbings, working in one of the most violent cities in the US. I've seen crush injuries, broken bones, and all manner of trauma, and I have never, in 30 years had a patient that was a candidate for a tourniquet. That's not to say it can't happen, but i can make a tourniquet in a pinch with a triangular bandage. If I was in a combat zone with massive shrapnel injures from explosives that would be different, be we are overlanding in the USA. I've needled a chest, once, on a guy who had been stabbed repeatedly with an ice pic. He got 2 in each side, just to get him breathing again, and I've seen one sucking chest wound that I treated with plastic wrap from the grocery store, 4x4 bandages, and tape. (the tape wouldn't stick because the guy was sweating so bad so I mummy wrapped him up in roller gauze).

THE MOST IMPORTANT PEICE OF FIRST AID GEAR IS WHAT'S BETWEEN YOUR EARS. Take a good class, like wilderness first aid or wilderness first responder.

Finally keep in mind that trauma is a time sensitive surgical problem. I tell green medics all the time, that the best thing they can do for a trauma patient is to throw them in the ambulance and get them to a hospital. Seriously life threatening trauma needs a surgeon and a level 1 trauma center. With that in mind, I carry a McMurdo Fast Find personal locator beacon to call for help when I'm away from 911. Or you can drive them out yourself and meet EMS half way. I extricated myself form the back country when I dinged my arm pretty badly on a solo motorcycle trip in Colorado. Sometimes thats just how you have to roll.

One note. My first aid set up is based on being in the US where we are very rarely more than a couple of hours away from professional care. If I was going to travel to a third world country for a weeks long expedition in the bush, I would certainly pack differently.

I guess that was more than 2 cents worth. If I can answer questions feel free to ask.

Cheers!

Larry

TnWalrus

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Memphis, TN
Member #

One more thing. Carry sun screen!..... The worst sun burn I ever got happened in NE Australia, and they damn near had to fly me to a hospital. It really sucked, so carry sun screen in your bags and make your crew use it.

Scott Loop

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Taylor, MI
Member #

I do a lot of gun range of most weekends so i have at any given time two trauma kits and a well stock bobo kit.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I picked this up a few weeks before the holidays. figured it's better than nothing. That said, A Friend turned me on to the Leatherman shears. He works at a hospital and said most shears that come prepackaged in kits are junk. Peeps in the hospital use and love 'em he says. I figured He would not do me wrong. so, why not.