Rank III

Enthusiast II

Citrus County, Florida, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Becker
Member #

My wife sent me a video of a dish being cooked, honey bbq chicken breasts done in an iron skillet. What's the most extravagant dish you've made up on the trail? Mine was chicken and potatoes with garlic in foil over the fire during a date with my now wife.

Reactions: Eddie Linn

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

I'm not a very extravagant person, but the fanciest thing I've ever cooked up was Filet Mignon, hash brown potatoes and spinach. There was a sale on filet at the grocery store we stopped at, it was like $11 a pound. I cooked it all on a cast iron skillet over a 2-burner stove. It was the best steak I've ever eaten, and all I added was salt, pepper and a little bit of butter. Camping makes everything taste better. Because we're so fancy, I think we made a box of mac and cheese to go with it. Yes, we had kraft mac and cheese and steak and I'm calling that our most extravagant dish.

The fanciest food that's in my regular camping menu though is probably some sort of chicken dinner. Normally I'll put the chicken in a marinade (orange juice, onion and some spices) and then put it in the cooler so it marinates for a day or two, and then cook it up on the cast iron. Serve with rice and beans if you like beans (I don't).

Reactions: 9Mike2

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I am normally not a fancy cook when camping, but I did a video on some poached salmon that turned out spectacularly and was relatively easy to make. Not everyone loves salmon I know, but this one was really good. If you care to check it out it is here-

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Grilled Salmon and beans in the N GA mountains on a cold winter day. Hmmmmmmm

Most complicated, though not really, was fajitas - also in N GA mountains.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Probably a Dutch Oven ensemble including Cornish Game Hens, cooked like a turkey- stuffed with a cornbread stuffing, sauteed mushrooms, mashed taters and gravy. For desert, of course, a dutch oven apple cobbler with cinnamon and raisens, served over vanilla ice cream. Not a particularly high-faluten 5-star meal, but there were no left-overs, which is always a good sign...

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Correus