Rank IV

Advocate I

Moha, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ive always wanted to do some overlanding in Australia. I havent had a vacation in four years. Ive looked in to shipping my rig there and its doable. And ive looked in to renting rigs there. None of the rentals were particularly inspiring, and basically all stock half tons. But i know im capable of taking a stock pick up truck and giving it a lift kit, tires, swaping all the bearings and ujoints and a full fluid change in under a week, if i had the tools. So buying an old truck is an option too.

So my question is, for a guy that normally drives and builds OBS Fords. What would be comparable to an old F350 in Australia? Do you guys have old fords kicking around? Or what Australian one ton 4x4s are on the used market? What kinds of makes and models are guys running?

Reactions: Road

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Make sure you can drive your rig there. As I understand all vehicles in Australia must be right hand drive.

Build yer own in Australia sounds very cool.
Canada is one of those countries Australia welcomes, you might be able to get a work visa and find a job building overland stuff.
Including your own rig.

I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apoclapedia

Steve_ohhhhh

Local Expert, QLD Australia

Influencer I

Redbank Queensland, Australia
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jappe
Member #

Toyota LandCruiser is king here in Australia. Old American based trucks are few and far between as are the parts and servicing needs. I'm not anywhere near knowledgeable enough to be able to answer your questions but possibly post in the Oceania section of the forums Queensland/New South Wales/Victoria are the most active here and ask away. Hopefully someone can help.

Reactions: Apoclapedia

RobMac

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brisbane, Queensland Australia
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Mac
Member #

As mentioned, the big old American rigs are few and far between... with Toyota, Nissan being the main ones with others like Landrover; Mitsubishi also an option.. Maybe look on some of the selling sites here in Australia to get an idea of prices, etc but something smaller than your big Fords will be more common, allow u to get down more tracks due to smaller widths, etc, plus when your touring is over, u will have a better chance to sell it before leaving Australia.

Not sure if u will be solo travelling or with others but look at the smaller end of the market and u might be better off in the long run. Look at Toyota Hilux or Landcruisers; Nissan Patrols or Navara's; Landrover Defenders and Mitsubishi Triton Utes.

Due to the Covid-19 overseas travel bans, etc, the 2nd hand prices here in Australia are getting ridiculously high with some people asking stupid prices, so u will need to be careful

not sure if this helps or not... but good luck with your research and travels...