Our Teardrop Camper build - Dakota's Doghouse

• HTML tutorial

TravelingDog

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chicago, Illinois
Member #

Technically, I finished to this point last year but it's still a work in progress :) We spent last summer camping in it throughout various national forests. My dog, Dakota, loves it so we call the teardrop Dakota's Doghouse.

Watch a video of the build highlights here: Building Dakota's Doghouse

It starts with a Chesapeake Light Craft kit and I added my own touches to it. It is based on boat building techniques which makes it lightweight and durable. I first build the form to keep the thin wood in the right shape. Marine plywood is stitched together with copper wire and then glue/fiberglassed together. Eventually you are left with a fully enclosed shell so you have to cut holes for doors, vent and the hatch. Picture lots of sanding, fiberglass and epoxy (done less than efficiently since this was my first time doing anything with fiberglass). I added some artwork to cover up access panels. A Goalzero Yeti 400 and 100 w solar panel keep the electronics, LED lighting and a Fantastic Fan working. I added ratchet straps from the inside to hold the hatch down during transit and also be a bit more secure.

We survived heatwaves, thunderstorms and quarter-size hail last summer while traveling over 5000 miles. With the aluminum trailer, the teardrop weighs around 5 or 600 pounds. Add some gear and it's still light.

You can follow our overloading adventures on Instagram: @dakotasdoghouseadventure

Let me know if you want to see specific pictures of the build or places we camped at.

Teardrop kit link: Teardrop Camper Kit

Attachments