Our forest sites went to Reserve America and so far it is fantastic...minus the fee for what used to be free.

• HTML tutorial

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So, if you did not know or missed my other ramblings, PA motorized camping has changed.

The formerly free sites are now 10 bucks a night, but the reservation process has become much easier.

And...to my surprise...they got some decent maps of where their sites are.

Tuscarora Rothrock and Bald Eagle shown.

Attachments

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Free to paid is never a good move in the long term. Also, for those of us that don't schedule everything out it sucks when more things move to reservation only. Even if they had to add a fee, first come first served is what we prefer. We've spoken to many camp hosts at Forest CGs and asked why there were so many empty sites when the place is showing as booked. Every one of them told us that people don't cancel, many book several places for the same timeframe but use the one they want. They have to hold the site for at least one day so it screws everyone else over. The fee for no show, at that time, was one night so there wasn't an incentive for anyone to cancel. It's a poorly thought out and even more poorly implemented system.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

David, these are the sites you had to reserve anyway at, right? We have a couple we use as we travel south or west out of NH.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
David, these are the sites you had to reserve anyway at, right? We have a couple we use as we travel south or west out of NH.
Yes. You had to request a free permit with the forest district.

Now, they can assist you with the reservation, but it is much easier to just do it yourself on the app or website.

If you have stayed at any state parks in PA, other surrounding states as well, then you have already used Reserve America.

It is very easy to use, and honestly, it is better than the old system, in my opinion.

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

You can reserve a site 11 months in advance up to Noon the day of.
That seems weird.. If you roll up and a site is available, then it goes un-rented. I found a couple NF's that went internet reserve but both you could rent whenever you arrived. Their problem was no cell service at the CG.. worst was they blocked the bay-at-post.

Any clue why they stop it at noon, day of?

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
That seems weird.. If you roll up and a site is available, then it goes un-rented. I found a couple NF's that went internet reserve but both you could rent whenever you arrived. Their problem was no cell service at the CG.. worst was they blocked the bay-at-post.

Any clue why they stop it at noon, day of?
That is when the reservation window ends.

With state parks, you can stay one night in the honor system. You pay in an envelope in a lock box.

They were rumored to allow this for the sites, but so far...that has not been established.

Before, you had to request the permit 3 days in advance. Although, usually, if you called in or visited the office they could get you the permit.

Most forest offices are closed weekends and holidays. So, this does allow for reservation on days you could not have before.

It is give and take for sure, but this system is better overall for last minute adventures, if you make your decision by noon.

Ultimately, with every system, there are work arounds. My guess would be if someone was to occupy an unoccupied site and no one reserved it last minute, if you had $16.50 on hand, you would just be requested to pay it.

But, until they make amends for the honor system, it would be at the discretion of the ranger to cite or fine.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I much prefer having a reservation and to know what site I am arriving to.

You can go to the Allegheny National Forest and it is first come first serve, but with the popularity of this hobby, you may be searching for a site and probably not getting any of the ones you wanted.

Other than the loss of free, I am much happier with this way of getting the sites. But 10 bucks 15 for out of stater's is still a deal compared to non electric sites in a campground and I dislike PuBLiC, so the 10 bucks is a screaming deal to me.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
NY has been using the Reserve America site for years, I'm pretty happy with it.
Yes. For our state parks it has been in use since 2014. But , our free sites just went to the fee and the site. I feel it was a necessary evil and is actually going to be great in the long run. But, we know how some love change

The good far outweighs the bad in my opinion.

Reactions: atc250r