Our First YouTube Video!

• HTML tutorial

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

This may not seem like a lot to some but for our family it is a first and a big one we think. The editing that's going into this video to start off on a good foot is key I think. So we have been adventuring for years and posting on instagram and such but we decided that maybe if we video recorded out trips it would help inspire others even more! Cause that's a big part of what we do, other than enjoying our lives exploring, is to inspire others to do the same. So keep an eye out for our new and upcoming YouTube video, will post the link when it's finished.

Last edited:

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Advice: look into some sort of video stabilization tool. This can be as simple and cheap as a mechanical gimbled stabilizer, or motorized. I have an Evo GP pro for the gopro. The new DJI osmo 2 for the smartphone is only $130. Shaky footage is easily smoothed out with a stabilizer.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

@v_man already one step ahead of you! Lol but for real thanks for the advice, we knew going out there that the video probably would be shaky even with being a careful we could trying to keep the camera stable. That weekend was the last weekend(before it got crazy hot) we figured would be at a temp not too crazy for our children, and we didn't want to miss the opportunity to start sharing our adventures! Plus it was recorded with the wife's canon with a heavy wide angle lens there is no finesse trying to hold that thing with one hand. But yes our next upload thanks to the stabilizer we have on the way will be much appreciated.

Reactions: v_man

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Thanks for sharing your video! I really gotta get over to Anza Borrego one of these days soon!

I'm no expert by any means (we're also just getting started on YouTube), but I do have a couple more pieces of constructive feedback for you:

Audio:
Consider picking up an external microphone and a "dead cat". A shotgun mic will focus the audio gain and the dead cat will knock out most of that harsh wind noise. The directionality of a shotgun mic will take some getting used to, since it will primarily pick up from whatever it is pointing at - so you won't really be able to talk from "behind the camera" and pick it up well. For those kinds of situations, you may also consider picking up an inexpensive lavalier mic.

For our videos we use:
Rode VideoMic Me ($60) for our phones
Rode VideoMicro ($60) fits a shotshoe mount on a camera
A random cheapo Lavalier Mic from amazon ($~10)

Both of those Rode mics come with a "dead cat"

Video "selfie" shots:
* It looks like some of those selfie shots had the DSLR lens at somewhere around 50mm or more (i'm assuming you had your arm almost fully extended). If you are able to, pull the lens back to somewhere like 24-35mm, that should also help with the camera shake a bit more. If you are limited by lens or in a pinch, just prop the camera up somewhere like on a rock, table, vehicle, and then take a step back and start talking.
* When filming with your phones, make sure to hold/mount it horizontal!

Nice job, keep it up!

P.S. The bees at 12:28 are going to give me nightmares for a week.

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

@brien

Thanks for the tips!
Greatly appreciate you taking the time to check us out for sure! The bees definitely were an unnerving but as long as we didn't swat at them and just went about our business so to speak they minded there's.

Also to add as I have mentioned in prior comments we are investing in equipment to better our videos. All the gear is my wifes, she is a professional photography with her own business @karifrinkphotography and rarely does any video so we now having pretty much "learned a lesson" to speak lol and will be adding to her gear. All the tips are appreciated for sure.

P.S. Will be checking out your YouTube page as soon as time to presents itself.

Reactions: brien

Joe Baker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yelm, Washington
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Baker
Member #

71861C49-B885-4125-B069-CF4ACFDBA005.jpeg A60C5C8B-4204-459E-A75F-40DC4CD5C9D0.jpeg
@Joe Baker

Appreciate it! We try, cause the better we can captivate the audience as they say lol. The more they will hopefully be inspired to get our there and explore!
The way I see it is having fun and making memories with family. Life to short. Keep up with videos and others will follow.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

This may not seem like a lot to some but for our family it is a first and a big one we think. The editing that's going into this video to start off on a good foot is key I think. So we have been adventuring for years and posting on instagram and such but we decided that maybe if we video recorded out trips it would help inspire others even more! Cause that's a big part of what we do, other than enjoying our lives exploring, is to inspire others to do the same. So keep an eye out for our new and upcoming YouTube video, will post the link when it's finished.
Great family and thank you for sharing. I know things will get better as you go forward...look forward to seeing more of your adventures.

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink